Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

!@#$%&^ seats!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-08, 08:50 AM
Support JDRF

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Specialized Roubaix Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
!@#$%&^ seats!!!

Its good to feel like an idiot every now and then.

Here are some lessons learned for some of the new guys and a giggle or two for the veterans.

I rode the MS150 about a month ago. Some guys at work got a team together and we had fun getting ready for it. They all have Road bikes and mine is more of a commuter setup. I decided to borrow someones bike that was a little faster to keep up with these guys. It would have been a good idea had I taken the time to ride it for a week or two before hand and get it adjusted to me. But no. I simply took the seatpost out of his and but my B-17 on it. A quick eyeball on how high it should be and then we are off for the first day of 75 miles. 3/4 of the way through it the back side of my knee is killing me. I finally say something about it and someone says, "Your seat is probably too high." Well Duh. I was just thinking it was a different type frame and didn't worry about it. I finished the ride and the next day my knee was so bad I did not ride the second day.

Two weeks later, knee is better I decided to finish the ride. I started from the house and it ended up being about 84 miles instead of 75. But I'm good with that and I am back on my bike. 3/4 the way through it and my legs are tired more than they should be. They weren't hurting, just not in shape feeling and my speed was down. Same thing for about 150 miles of commuting. Last night I started thinking, "Why do I feel like I am too tall for this bike." and it hits me. Big Dummy, I guess the seat wasn't tight enough when I put it back on the bike and I had been slowly sinking every since then.

If you want a good quad workout lower your seat a couple of inches and ride 10 miles or so.

Don't ride a long distance without a proper bike fit. If something feels out of normal, it probably is. I have known all of the above and still let it bite me.
Old 10-21-08, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's amazing how small the difference can be. I ride with a Selle Anatomica seat, and over the course of a few weeks it stretches enough (still under 2000 miles or something) that I drop something like 1/3 of an inch. Before it gets uncomfortable, I start to have my quads start just KILLING me on the two hills on my daily commute. Quick twist of the screw and it's wonderful again, but it's surprising what a difference a miniscule adjustment can make.
Old 10-21-08, 09:27 AM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by b_young
Two weeks later, knee is better I decided to finish the ride..
MS society waited for two weeks so that you could finish the ride? Wow, talk about support!

Last night I started thinking, "Why do I feel like I am too tall for this bike." and it hits me. Big Dummy, I guess the seat wasn't tight enough when I put it back on the bike and I had been slowly sinking every since then.
I usually ride my Lemond. But my Cannondale is a better climbing bike. If I do an organized ride on the Canni, I will switch bikes a month ahead of time to make sure the machine and the body are as one by the time the event arrives!

Plus, whenever I mess with a seat post, I always place a piece of electric tape on the post just above the collar. That way I can be sure that the post is not slowly slipping. Also comes in handy if someone places your bike in a stand. You know exactly where it was before the service.
Old 10-21-08, 09:39 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz

Plus, whenever I mess with a seat post, I always place a piece of electric tape on the post just above the collar. That way I can be sure that the post is not slowly slipping. Also comes in handy if someone places your bike in a stand. You know exactly where it was before the service.
Mountain Bike Action magazine suggests using a paint marker instead of tape.

Old 10-21-08, 09:43 AM
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I'm sure BYoung knows(as stated), but a reminder or something new to add to your notes if you're a newbie.

Never make changes the day of or the night beofre a big ride. You don't want to try new shorts the day of a century. You don't want to switch to superlite tubes the night before a big ride. Don't do maintenance on or bike the night before, should be done ahead of time, not the last minute. Something is bound to go wrong. Make sure everything is A-OK ahead of time!

Never use a brand new bike on a century til it is tested and proven. I once did a ride out in the desert area. I ate my postride meal then headed out of town for my 3 hour drive home. It was getting late and would soon be getting dark. About 10 miles out of town I saw 3 riders on the side of the road. Support vehicles were long gone.

2 of the 3 riders had brand new bikes, sweet $3000 bikes. 2 had flats and one with a very crooked rear rim. I stopped to help them since I had my stuff. I trued the wheel and replaced the tubes. They had gone thru 4 tubes. So I taught them about shabby rimstrips. They were not seated properly over the spoke holes. They weren't even sure if they had replaced the tubes correctly. Neither had ever repaired a flat tire. They mentioned that they were brand spankin' new bikes ridden for the first time. I suggested they test them before doing a big ride. They said the bike mechanic said they would be ok on the ride.....Don't believe that, test them first!
Old 10-21-08, 09:45 AM
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by The Historian
Mountain Bike Action magazine suggests using a paint marker instead of tape.

Where I come from, A Mexican guy with a paint marker is going to jail!
Old 10-21-08, 09:52 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
I'm sure BYoung knows(as stated), but a reminder or something new to add to your notes if you're a newbie.

Never make changes the day of or the night beofre a big ride. You don't want to try new shorts the day of a century. You don't want to switch to superlite tubes the night before a big ride. Don't do maintenance on or bike the night before, should be done ahead of time, not the last minute. Something is bound to go wrong. Make sure everything is A-OK ahead of time!

Never use a brand new bike on a century til it is tested and proven. I once did a ride out in the desert area. I ate my postride meal then headed out of town for my 3 hour drive home. It was getting late and would soon be getting dark. About 10 miles out of town I saw 3 riders on the side of the road. Support vehicles were long gone.

2 of the 3 riders had brand new bikes, sweet $3000 bikes. 2 had flats and one with a very crooked rear rim. I stopped to help them since I had my stuff. I trued the wheel and replaced the tubes. They had gone thru 4 tubes. So I taught them about shabby rimstrips. They were not seated properly over the spoke holes. They weren't even sure if they had replaced the tubes correctly. Neither had ever repaired a flat tire. They mentioned that they were brand spankin' new bikes ridden for the first time. I suggested they test them before doing a big ride. They said the bike mechanic said they would be ok on the ride.....Don't believe that, test them first!
Good advice, and not just for newbies. Witness my changing saddles right before the MS City to Shore this year. Guess who didn't finish the ride?

Old 10-21-08, 09:52 AM
Support JDRF

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Specialized Roubaix Elite

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Well said Mr. Beanz. Thats what I was trying to get out.

My seat post has markings built into it. 4.5 is what mine is set at. I just wasn't paying attention. I have a cell phone holder mounted to the seat post as well and once it slid down to it I think it stopped moving. It was so gradual that I really didn't notice it right off. It took a few rides to figure out. I rode 20+ miles/day for 12 out of 15 days, and like I said it was just creeping down. I always check my tires and lights before a ride. Now I have added a quick check of the seat height.
Old 10-21-08, 10:02 AM
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by The Historian
Good advice, and not just for newbies. Witness my changing saddles right before the MS City to Shore this year. Guess who didn't finish the ride?
YOU TOO! Heck, that can make a ride tougher than riding in the rain and snow!
Old 10-21-08, 10:07 AM
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Now I have added a quick check of the seat height.
For the newbies, make seat adjusments at home. Some bikes have quick release which isn't usually much of a problem. But for a roadie with the traditional seat collar and bolt, those things snap easily if you happen to apply too much force.

Until ou master the touch, make the saddle height adjustments at home. I've seen a few riders snap the bolt on a ride!..........Can't help but laugh watching a rider ride back looking like Marty Johnson!