Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

7-speed STX-RC freehub body cone

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 10-21-08, 08:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Greetings - I just got a 7-speed STX-RC freehub body to fix my hub. The old cone will fit but with the new freebody a large gap now exists around the cone exposing the bearings. Thus I am looking to obtain for the proper shimano part numbers for the right rear cone and dust cover/caps to complete the repair and/or where I might be able to order them. Thanks for your help.
Old 10-21-08, 11:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_b
Greetings - I just got a 7-speed STX-RC freehub body to fix my hub. The old cone will fit but with the new freebody a large gap now exists around the cone exposing the bearings. Thus I am looking to obtain for the proper shimano part numbers for the right rear cone and dust cover/caps to complete the repair and/or where I might be able to order them. Thanks for your help.
You might consider pulling the cap out of the old freehub body and reusing it in the new freehub body. Alternately, run down to the LBS with your dilema and chances are fairly good that they'll be able to find you an appropriate cone.

Am I right in guessing that your old cone has the dual split-ring type of seals? Because if it does, you might be able to simply remove them and put the larger rubber lip-type seal in the groove instead. I've never tried that myself that I can recall, but it would only take a minute to see if it was going to work out or not.