Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Update

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-08, 10:02 AM
I'm a Backwoods Boy...

Bikes: None now.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update

Hey guys, its been a few weeks since I checked in last so I thought I'd drop in and say hi.

So far, I haven't got a bike since I am nearly broke. However, I have been doing a lot of walking and am losing right at 2 1/2 pounds a week. That I am pretty happy with.

How is everyone doing?

-Austin V
Old 10-29-08, 08:22 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by Austin in So IL
Hey guys, its been a few weeks since I checked in last so I thought I'd drop in and say hi.

So far, I haven't got a bike since I am nearly broke. However, I have been doing a lot of walking and am losing right at 2 1/2 pounds a week. That I am pretty happy with.

How is everyone doing?

-Austin V
Congratulations on the weight loss. Sorry to read you don't have a bike yet. Good luck with the search!

Old 10-29-08, 08:27 AM

Bikes: Giant "Rainier"

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Austin,

Cool for you on the walking. Next best thing to biking. Keep that up. Other than shoes, it's free.

Xmas is coming. Kick those who love ya into donating to the cause.

Take good care. Remember, I am local to ya. If I can help you around here, let me know.

Jay
Old 10-29-08, 02:00 PM
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
If you really want a bike, start checking the local thrift stores. I have bought at least 10 good bikes this year at thrift stores, mostly in the $5 to $15 range. There is no need to spend $100 or more on a bike. I just combined a $30 frame with a $5 thrift store find to put together a pretty nice bike for my wife (Trek 950 with Shimano Deore LX and DX components).

Last edited by wrk101; 10-30-08 at 06:23 PM. Reason: clarified
Old 10-29-08, 02:12 PM

Bikes: mountain bike, road bike

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Austin good to here about the weight loss, it will be a benefit when you get a bike. Do you have a bike co-op in your area. We have one in my city. For a small fee they will let you build a single speed bike. They teach you how to build the bike and use their tools. If you volunteer to help I think the fee is reduced. Just another option that maybe available.
Old 10-29-08, 05:07 PM
Rabbit Habbit!

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus 08

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great going Austin! Glad you are sticking to a program.

Jerry
Old 10-29-08, 05:15 PM
Triathlon in my future???

Bikes: Junk, that is why I am here. :-)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Check Craigslist. Check the local pawn shops. Call your local police station and find out how often they do auctions on the bikes that they have to pick up. etc......

You don't have to spend a lot on a first bike. There are finds everywhere. Tell friends what you are looking for and you would be amazed at what is sitting in the garages gathering dust.

GREAT WORK ON THE WEIGHT LOSS!!!!!!!
Swim, Bike, Run and sounds like fun
Old 10-29-08, 05:18 PM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Great weight loss.

Old 10-30-08, 03:49 PM
Rabbit Habbit!

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus 08

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flip18436572
Check Craigslist. Check the local pawn shops. Call your local police station and find out how often they do auctions on the bikes that they have to pick up. etc......

You don't have to spend a lot on a first bike. There are finds everywhere. Tell friends what you are looking for and you would be amazed at what is sitting in the garages gathering dust.

GREAT WORK ON THE WEIGHT LOSS!!!!!!!
Carbondale's CL has been a diappointment for bikes. Same thing for the pawn shops, which think they have the greatest thing in the world.

Jerry
Old 10-30-08, 03:59 PM

Bikes: mountain bike, road bike

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've found the same thing in pawn shops, not many deals. Well go on the offensive on CL and post a wanted or WTB under the bike section. Describe your wants and price range and see what happens. I'm not sure what your needs are "for squirels [sic] and such....
Old 10-30-08, 05:33 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hate to break it to you in this fashion, and I don't mean to come across as brash or an a*shole, but if you really want to ride, you will find a way to do so. It doesn't have to be a fancy bike, or a newer bike--there are many free and next-to-free bikes out there. This is the U.S., for goodness sake! Scour the want ads, bike shops, etc. You WILL find a bike.
Old 10-30-08, 06:28 PM
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

CL is usually not the cheapest source anyway. So if your local C/L is useless, thats just another reason to hit the thrift stores, church sales, etc.
Old 10-30-08, 08:10 PM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
CL is usually not the cheapest source anyway. So if your local C/L is useless, thats just another reason to hit the thrift stores, church sales, etc.
i find in some places that CL will offer you a carbon fibre bike that 5 years ago retailed for $2500 for $250, and other places will offer you a solid lead framed wally mart special that doesn't even deserve the name bicycle that 5 years ago retailed for $69 for the same $250.....
Old 10-30-08, 09:03 PM

Bikes: Felt F1,Felt FA, Fuji Club LE and Specialized Allez

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wrk101
If you really want a bike, start checking the local thrift stores. I have bought at least 10 good bikes this year at thrift stores, mostly in the $5 to $15 range. There is no need to spend $100 or more on a bike. I just combined a $30 frame with a $5 thrift store find to put together a pretty nice bike for my wife (Trek 950 with Shimano Deore LX and DX components).
That's a nice setup. I guess I should look at thrift stores again. I found a really clean looking Trek 820 ata thrift store for $30. I came back the next day and it had been sold.
Old 10-31-08, 05:55 AM

Bikes: 2007 Schwinn Fastback Race

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This tactic worked well for a friend of mine. He had seen how much cycling had helped me to lose weight and get back into shape, so he wanted to start. He, unfortunately, was out of work at the time, so he could not afford much. First, he shopped the thrift stores until he found a $35 department store mountain bike. He rode it for a couple of months until he decided that he was going to have to have a road bike. He posted an ad on Craigslist describing what he wanted. He picked up a good condition used Bianchi for $235.

Originally Posted by dbikingman
I've found the same thing in pawn shops, not many deals. Well go on the offensive on CL and post a wanted or WTB under the bike section. Describe your wants and price range and see what happens.
Old 10-31-08, 06:20 AM
Thrifty Bill

Good thrift store buys tend to last for an hour or two at most around here. There are enough bike pickers trolling the stores that the good ones are gone fast. I tend to grab the bike as soon as I come in the door (if its decent and priced right).