Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

The "How much did it cost?" question

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-08, 09:17 AM

Bikes: 2016 Cannonade Synapse Carbon Ultegra 3, 2019 Fuji Touring, Dahon Formula S18, Fuji Touring Series III (bought new in 1980's, all original components, many, many great, memorable rides), Kickbike Sport Max

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

When I bought my Brompton someone warned me - people will stop and ask you about your bike all the time and frequently they'll ask you how much it cost. This guy suggested I just say "you can get a folding bike for a couple hundred dollars." Well, today I used the line once again when a deli clerk started asking me. The thing is, he was really insistent and wouldn't let up. Did it cost $500? $600? Over $1000? I kept telling him - you can get a folding bike for a couple hundred, and I wasn't going to tell him exactly how much mine cost. I did say it was expensive - probably shouldn't have.

How do you deal with this? What should I have said? I don't feel comfortable telling people how much my bike cost.
Old 10-30-08, 09:22 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Yeah, I get asked that all the time. With my Strida I say "I got this one for about three hundred bucks, but they're more now." With my Mini, I say "I got this one for about four hundred bucks, but they're more now." I adjust my vocal tones and facial expressions to suit the audience; if the guy looks like he'll think $400 is a lot, I'll make it sound like I think that's a lot too, and add that there are cheaper ones out there.
Old 10-30-08, 09:30 AM
PDR

Bikes: Brompton S2L-X, Bridgestone Moulton, 1963 & 1966 Moultons, Scott Mountain bike

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I was on the train last night with my 08 Dahon MU SL and one guy asked me “how much did that bike cost”.... I told him they retail for around £750... to which he said “hell, you could buy a real bike for that, or even a motorbike”... my response was “this is a real bike... it just happens to fold”
Old 10-30-08, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
"None of your godz-damned business."
Old 10-30-08, 10:00 AM
Pepperoni Power

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have no problem telling people (ballpark figure). It's not like it's a secret figure like someone's income. Heck, you could learn the answer yourself in 30 seconds using Google.

They ask this about my Xootr MG scooter as well. I think people underestimate the cost of items like these. It happened all the time when I rode my Vespa, too (this is a frequent discussion topic on ModernVespa.com, the bikeforums of the Vespa world, only not as good). With the Vespa crowd, you also get asked how fast it goes. I am guessing I won't get asked that as much with the folding bike
Old 10-30-08, 10:08 AM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't like to answer because I've had people try to mug me for my bike. So I usually just say I'm not selling it and refer them to an online retailer.
Old 10-30-08, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
I would just tell them, but if you don't want to I'd start with "I'd rather not say". Followed by, "None of your business" if they persist.

Out of curiosity why does it bother you?

Feel free to reply with "I'd rather not say" followed by, "None of your business" if I persist. It will be good practice.
Old 10-30-08, 10:13 AM

Bikes: Birdy BD-1. Change MTB. Fuji XC. Marin Four Corners

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I don't know. Santa Claus brought it.
I won it in a raffle.
It lists for $1,000 but I had a 50%-off coupon.
I don't know. I stole it.
I won it on eBay for $100 ... but shipping was $300.

Regards
T

Last edited by timo888; 10-30-08 at 10:17 AM.
Old 10-30-08, 10:25 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd just say it was a gift, and I don't know how much it cost ...
Old 10-30-08, 10:32 AM

Bikes: 2016 Cannonade Synapse Carbon Ultegra 3, 2019 Fuji Touring, Dahon Formula S18, Fuji Touring Series III (bought new in 1980's, all original components, many, many great, memorable rides), Kickbike Sport Max

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by staehpj1
I would just tell them, but if you don't want to I'd start with "I'd rather not say". Followed by, "None of your business" if they persist.

Out of curiosity why does it bother you?
I guess because I consider what I paid for my Brompton to be a lot of money (and I think the average non-biker would think so too) and I worry about theft.

I like the idea of saying I don't know - that someone gave it to me as a gift, followed by "you can buy a folding bike for a couple hundred" and leave it at that. Don't know if that would have satisfied persistent clerk or if he would have bought it.
Old 10-30-08, 10:34 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
answers

You can always respond with an answer to a question that was not asked. Like:

Q. How much was your bike?

A. Bikes are awesome!

A. I'm a bike maverick!

A. I can commute from my house!

You just need to be determined.
Old 10-30-08, 10:40 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by folderster
You can always respond with an answer to a question that was not asked. Like:

A. Bikes are awesome!

A. I'm a bike maverick!

A. I can commute from my house!

You just need to be determined.
"I'm a bike maverick!" - I love it...
Old 10-30-08, 12:33 PM

Bikes: Dahon Curl i8

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I usually say... "Decent folding bikes start around $200 and they go up into the thousands of dollars." People usually drop it after that, but if they persist, I say... "This is one of the more expensive ones, but I bought it used."

--sam
Old 10-30-08, 01:11 PM
Banned.

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jerrys88
When I bought my Brompton someone warned me - people will stop and ask you about your bike all the time and frequently they'll ask you how much it cost. This guy suggested I just say "you can get a folding bike for a couple hundred dollars." Well, today I used the line once again when a deli clerk started asking me. The thing is, he was really insistent and wouldn't let up. Did it cost $500? $600? Over $1000? I kept telling him - you can get a folding bike for a couple hundred, and I wasn't going to tell him exactly how much mine cost. I did say it was expensive - probably shouldn't have.

How do you deal with this? What should I have said? I don't feel comfortable telling people how much my bike cost.
My own answer: "My dead father left it to me." I think the "dead" word always stops people cold in their noisy tracks.

p.s. My father died 3 and a half years ago so it is not lying.
Old 10-30-08, 02:50 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah i get this question alot as well when im riding my bike friday tikit. Im a bit hesitant to tell the average stranger how much it costs because especially in my working class neighborhood, it really throws the conversation off. the hardest was telling a poorer mom with two young boys who were in love with the bike. she was obviously asking with the idea of maybe getting one someday for them. She was probably thinking it would cost like 70 dollars. I just told her it was expensive, but that there are many cheaper models out there, even one for under 200 dollars(citizen bike) if only to keep the kids happy. she still baulked at that price.

another favorite was a 11 yearish old girl who i heard telling her friend "I bet that bikes expensive, like hundred dollars or something!" and a guy i play volleyball with; "how much did you pay for that?" "around 1000" "What? you could buy a car with that much money" "I know, but i dont want a car" and i rode of smugly.

the biggest thing i run into is the misconception of what a proper bike price should be. Even my well to do friends dont want to spend over a 100 dollars for a bike. to be honest before I started researching bikes and folders in general, folding bike prices floored me too, but now i realize that a decent bike is going to cost you at least 300 dollars or so.

I guess it has alot to do with perception. americans perceive bikes as toys, for kids, therefore they need to be in the kid price range. they also see them as just for recreation, so they dont see the benefit from investing in a bike vs taking a car or commuting like we do. to them its just extra money spent for something used rarely.

Why dont people baulk at the price of automobiles? Honestly, ive never gotten used to the fact that a new car can cost 30 thousand dollars. That still blows my mind as a helluva lot of money. But then im only 22, so I havent really dealt with boatloads of money either.

just my two cents.
Old 10-30-08, 03:21 PM

Bikes: Brodie Force w/ Xtracycle, Dahon Helios, Merida Folding, Pacific Carryme, Softride Classic

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A. Much.

A. More than you're willing to pay.

A. How much do you make?

A. Under McCain plan or Obama plan?

A. Free. It came with the "stimulus package" after 9-11. You didn't get yours?

A. I don't know. Lindsay Lohan gave it to me after I fixed her flat tire.

A. I don't know. Paris Hilton got off the bike and said, "Here, do you want it? I have lots."

A. Ask Oprah. She gave them out on one of her shows.
Old 10-30-08, 03:26 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
"Six tanks of petrol for that big 4x4 of yours."
Old 10-31-08, 12:54 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tell them its a cheap China rip off bike you can find on ebay.
Old 10-31-08, 01:35 AM

Bikes: Grifter BSA 20

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my city bike was £5.
new pedals, tubes, cables, pads. cost about £10.
then the bag cost about £20.
so £35.
and its paid for itself now. As I dont have to get the bus across town

Last edited by griftereck; 10-31-08 at 01:36 AM. Reason: missed a bit
Old 10-31-08, 10:02 AM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Q: How much was your bike?
A: Sorry, but my mom taught me never to discuss religion or politics with strangers.

Q: How much did your bike cost?
A: Purple.
Old 10-31-08, 10:11 AM

Bikes: '07 Brompton S6L; '10 Brompton M6R

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tell people it's cheaper than fuelling the car I used to have.

I don't mention that I could have fuelled that car for two years for what I paid for my Brompton!
Old 10-31-08, 03:23 PM
mjw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I say they cost as much as a full size bike- anywhere from a few hundred to 2k.
Old 10-31-08, 05:00 PM
Drops small screws

Bikes: Soma Grand Randonneur, modified Xootr Swift, Trek 1000SL with broken brifter from running it into a hotel porte-cochère

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I tell them what it cost stock, and then I tell them what it cost with all my modifications.
RIDE: Short fiction about bicycles • RUSA #5538
Old 10-31-08, 07:14 PM
crazy bike girl

Bikes: '07 Orbea Onix, '07 Birdy Yellow, '06 Cannondale Bad Boy (stolen)

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I tell them that folding bikes come in a wide range of prices, from a couple of hundred to a few thousand. If they persist on my own costs, I tell them I got it from Craigslist so it's not representative.
Old 10-31-08, 07:26 PM
Can't Re Member

Bikes: 2009 Randonee, 2014 Bike Friday NWT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I asked a woman on the train platform yesterday if she enjoyed riding her folding bike. I did not ask what she paid for it because it was none of my business and anyway I could see the brand, but I really wanted to know if it was a good ride. She said yes, she liked it, but that people were always asking her what it cost--she felt like a salesman. I don't understand why folks ask that about any bike, but they do seem to target folders.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.