Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Can this be done??

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Can this be done??

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-04, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can this be done??

I have a question related to training. I commute to work 3-4 days a week. The ride is 25 miles one way. The landscape is rolling, but there are a few small (less than a mile) hills. I ride to and from work. It takes me about an hour and a half one way. I've been riding for about a year. I consider myself to be a beginner/intermediate rider.

My question is, could I be overdoing it? I would love to give up driving to work altogether, but I usually ride Mon-Tue, take Wed off, and ride Thurs-Fri. By friday, I'm toast. I know that I should listen to my body and rest when I feel tired, but I'd like to work up to doing this ride 5 days in a row. Does anyone think this can be done? ...or is it too much..

Thanks - Jason
Old 03-23-04, 02:11 PM

Location: The Alta Loma area of Rancho Cucamonga. About 45 miles east of Los Angeles, California. Uphill, downhill and across hill riding; not too level!
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by miljam
I have a question related to training. I commute to work 3-4 days a week. The ride is 25 miles one way . . .

My question is, could I be overdoing it? I would love to give up driving to work altogether, but I usually ride Mon-Tue, take Wed off, and ride Thurs-Fri. By friday, I'm toast. I know that I should listen to my body and rest when I feel tired, but I'd like to work up to doing this ride 5 days in a row. Does anyone think this can be done? ...or is it too much..

Thanks - Jason
My husband bicycles almost exactly the mileage you mention; his commute one way is 24.4 something miles. Currently he does it 2-3 times a week, always with a day of rest between those 50 mile commutes. It takes him about 1 hr. 10 minutes to get to work (downhill and gradual downhill) and a little over 2 hrs to get home (up hill and gradual up hill, with a 1.5 mile definate uphill climb to our house).

He built up to it. At first there was no problem getting to work and then he would give me a time limit when riding home. He would call just before leaving work and I would go to pick him up after whatever time he told me to wait (at the beginning this was about 2-1/4 to 2-1/ hours). As he got more used to the ride he would start to be closer and closer to home when I went out to pick him up until he finally was at our street when I drove out to get him.

He tried a daily commute, but he says he was just too beat to do it daily. For exercise on other days of the week, he will play raquetball in 2 hour sessions, and on saturdays he will (in season) referee soccer.

It can be done, just build up to it and make sure you listen to your body while doing so. And drink lotsa fluids!
Old 03-23-04, 02:24 PM

Bikes: 2004 Trek 4600 SS, 2016 Cannondale Cujo 2 SS

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by foehn
My husband bicycles almost exactly the mileage you mention; his commute one way is 24.4 something miles. Currently he does it 2-3 times a week, always with a day of rest between those 50 mile commutes. It takes him about 1 hr. 10 minutes to get to work (downhill and gradual downhill) and a little over 2 hrs to get home (up hill and gradual up hill, with a 1.5 mile definate uphill climb to our house).

He built up to it. At first there was no problem getting to work and then he would give me a time limit when riding home. He would call just before leaving work and I would go to pick him up after whatever time he told me to wait (at the beginning this was about 2-1/4 to 2-1/ hours). As he got more used to the ride he would start to be closer and closer to home when I went out to pick him up until he finally was at our street when I drove out to get him.

He tried a daily commute, but he says he was just too beat to do it daily. For exercise on other days of the week, he will play raquetball in 2 hour sessions, and on saturdays he will (in season) referee soccer.

It can be done, just build up to it and make sure you listen to your body while doing so. And drink lotsa fluids!
Bike messengers ride 50-70 miles daily, so, it just takes building it up.
Old 03-23-04, 05:24 PM
Marathon Cyclist

Bikes: Road Bike / Mountain Bike

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
By the fact that you're asking, you obviously want to do it.

Why not continue building up to it by riding every day one week and then 3 or 4 days the next. Alternate doing the whole week with doing the 3 or 4 days until you feel you're ready to ride every day, every week.
Old 03-24-04, 11:11 AM

Location: The Alta Loma area of Rancho Cucamonga. About 45 miles east of Los Angeles, California. Uphill, downhill and across hill riding; not too level!
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trekkie820
Bike messengers ride 50-70 miles daily, so, it just takes building it up.
Jeezly CROW, what a vicious signature!

Were you having a bad day when you wrote it?

I hope you feel better now. . .
Old 03-24-04, 04:50 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by foehn
Jeezly CROW, what a vicious signature!

Were you having a bad day when you wrote it?

I hope you feel better now. . .
So the general concensus is that this can eventually be done without the threat of overtraining?

Thanks
Old 03-24-04, 10:53 PM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
As long as you build up to it and listen to your body and rest like you said you would, I don't think it's overtraining at all. In fact, this is one of the more sensible training plans I've come across out there. Good luck with it all.

Koffee

Old 03-26-04, 01:00 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Koffee Brown
As long as you build up to it and listen to your body and rest like you said you would, I don't think it's overtraining at all. In fact, this is one of the more sensible training plans I've come across out there. Good luck with it all.

Koffee
Thank you for your opinions. Koffee, I read the journal entries on your trip to Italy. It was a very inspiring read..thanks for posting..

J
Old 03-26-04, 01:36 PM
slower than you

Bikes: Gunnar Road Sport, peugeot UO-10

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's all in your pace. Taking it a couple of MPH slower will help.

At least that's what the big kids tell me, I go lactic, wobble home, rest a day and then do it all over again. At my age, I really need to learn to pace myself.