Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

new commuter

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-08, 05:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
new commuter

Hello all,
I just started commuting in the Pacific northwest this last summer. I ride about 9-10 miles one way.
I was a competive street rider about 30 years ago and spent the last 25 years on other life pursuits.
Biking has felt sooooo good to get back into. Very painful at first since I thought I was still 22 years old! Now its coming back and starting to work. I've stopped in to this forum a few times and I think I'll probably hang out in the commuter section more than others. I work in alternative health, am quite into music and family.
Have a good ride!
Old 11-03-08, 05:16 PM
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Hi xiyangshen, what part of the PNW?

And what bike?

Welcome to BikeForums!

East Hill
Forum Moderator
Old 11-03-08, 05:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello!
I commute through downtown Portland OR. Generally I've found it to be a pleasent ride. Cars have mostly been courteous, peds have been a pain but not literally. (as in accidents) I think I'm ready for the weather but wondering how far to push it when feeling a common cold.
I'm currently riding a Spec. mtb that I've set up for the commute but I still have my Univega(Miyata) Gran Premio that I look forward to riding next summer. I can't beleive the gears I used to push on that bike!! No way I could do that now (next summer?) I may just gear it down to my current speed and have some fun with that.
Old 11-03-08, 08:30 PM
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
You are in a great place for riding, then. Ooooh, oooh! Univega Gran Premio? Photos, please, for the Classic & Vintage forum.

As for riding with a cold--I can handle the first few days, but when I start coughing too much, I either drive or walk.

East Hill
Old 11-03-08, 08:48 PM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Welcome! I'm in a similar situation. I can't say I was competitive, but I didn't own a car until after graduating college in 1984 (man, that Ford Tempo was something!) Anyway, I rode as a primary mode of transport all the way up through college, then after getting married and we could only afford one car, I got a bicycle to give us an extra set of wheels. Once we bought a second car, the old bike hung on hooks in the garage for 20 years.

I got it down in February and started commuting on it occasionally. In September I turned up the gain and now I ride to work most of the time. I love the exhilaration of being in the saddle.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."