Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

merlin frame

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

merlin frame

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-08, 08:29 PM
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
merlin frame

Hi
I posted in the road forum but maybe frame experts might have some insight into this question:

I'm looking for a cheap carbon frame to make use of some spare components and I found a merlin frame from 2006 discounted to clear which I like the look of (it is a more classical look before compact frames).

It is described "Merlin C110 Works frame features the perfect blend of Low Density Carbon fibre with Titanium to produce this elite road race frame"

this is the 2006 info
https://www.merlinbike.com/bikes/2006/works/c110.aspx#

I didn't know anything about Merlin as they aren't very common here, but from what I read Merlin makes titanium bikes and makes high quality rather than mass market. So is this carbon frame any good and if so why have they stopped making carbon bikes?

I've also seen a GT GTR Ultra (a 2008 model). I don't know much about GT either but are they lower end than Merlin? Is a 2008 GT likely to be better than a 2006 Merlin?

Thanks
Old 11-20-08, 08:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Either way you go, you're fine. GT is not as much of a bike company as it is a name (with somewhat historical significance), and the Merlin carbon fiber isn't as much a Merlin as a bike with the Merlin name on it. What I'm saying is that they both come out of similar, if not the same, factory.

I would go with whatever one you can get the better justifiable deal with.
Old 11-20-08, 09:01 AM
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
I would stay away from it. Merlin does indeed make some very good Ti frames. However they briefly got into CF because that's what the market is buying. I didn't ride this model but I test rode a CF frame they did the year before. It was extremely stiff but not in the good sense. The stiffness didn't do anything to make the bike seem fast; only jarring. It was obvious Merlin had little idea on how to make a good CF bike.

I assume they tried unsuccessfully for a couple years and gave up on CF.
Old 11-20-08, 03:52 PM
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks for the advice.

Sounds like it is a high end name making a low end carbon bike. i.e compare with low end carbon bikes

In the end I bought the Merlin because i got a good deal on it at a price that was less than the newer low end carbon bikes available. Since it is just my first carbon bike and i'm using up spare components it made sense.