Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Hello and Thank You!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-08, 06:45 AM

Bikes: Trek 7300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello and Thank You!

Hi, everybody. Noob from Louisiana here. I've been a lurker since July or so and this is my first post. I wanted to wait until I actually accomplished something before I crashed the party!

My first ride was on August 2 of this year. I had my second major back surgery on May 19 and cycling was a last ditch effort to attempt some type of re-hab. In May I had the disk at L5 removed (L3,4 were removed in '94), a ton of scar tissue from the prior surgery cleaned out, a bone graft at L5, and two rods and six screws "installed" from L3-L5. It was about a 6 1/2 hour procedure. Needless to say, it was a pretty long day!

Anyway, I was never sent for PT after the surgery but was, instead, told to "walk as much as possible." I did that for a month or so but could never go for more than about 2 1/2 miles at a time and then, literally, couldn't move for the rest of the day due to severe neuropathy in both legs. On a follow-up visit to my Surgeon he suggested that I try "Biking" because it's lower impact than walking. "Sure", I thought, "Unless you fall off!"

Anyway, I scraped enough money together and got a Trek 7300 on Aug. 2 and took my first ride which was exactly 2 1/2 miles after which I couldn't move the rest of the day. Great. Sound familiar?

I kept reading these Forums, though, and found a TREMENDOUS amount of motivation/ encouragement and I kept at the riding. Within a month I was up to 20 miles a day and now average anywhere from 25-35 miles daily. My accomplishment came yesterday when I finally broke my first 1,000 miles (1,003.9 to be exact). Somewhere along the way I "popped" my right Quad and have been dealing with that also. It set me back a bit but I'm working through it.

So, from a guy who a few short months ago could hardly walk, I want to give all of you a HUGE "thank you" for all the help, support, and encouragement you gave to someone that you didn't even know was paying attention.

I apologize for such a long post but I just had to say it. Thanks again!!

Last edited by Swamp Daddy; 11-19-08 at 01:26 PM.
Old 11-19-08, 06:59 AM
Downtown Spanky Brown

Bikes: Motobecane Phantom Cross Pro Kona Lana'I

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We can rebuild him, we have the technology

Welcome Swamp Daddy, nice to have you in the stable. No appologies are nessecary and congratulations on the 1k milestone. Ride on and stay active in the forums to let us know how your doing!
Old 11-19-08, 07:56 AM
Tilting with windmills

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Welcome Swamp Daddy! We are Kindred Spirits, but I be we both wish we weren't, lol.

Three back surgeries here, and fused at L5-S1 with 2 titanium cages. My last surgery was 4 years ago, but have been having some issues lately with scar tissue as well. Some physical therapy from a cyclist pt guy and I'm pretty much back in the game.

I know some other back surgery veterans who ride a ton of miles. All say it helps with range of motion and strength as well. I can only second the claims. I do have days when after my ride it puts me off of my feet for a while, but I've been fighting this fight for over 15 years and will take a little recovery time if necessary, lol.

It's nice to hear of other doctors suggesting riding to someone with a back history. My last surgeon also rides so he was all for it as well.

Congrats on the 1000 mile mark! May there be many many more.
Old 11-19-08, 08:10 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Welcome!

Old 11-19-08, 12:41 PM

Bikes: 2012 MotorHouse road bike. No. You can't get one.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Good job so far. Keep at it. Welcome!
Old 11-19-08, 01:16 PM
Support JDRF

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Specialized Roubaix Elite

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Greetings and congrats on your first 1000 miles.
Old 11-19-08, 01:29 PM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Originally Posted by b_young
Greetings and congrats on your first 1000 miles.
Great to hear that.
Riding has allowed me to lead a normal life with two bad disc's.

Old 11-19-08, 01:36 PM

Bikes: Trek 7300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, everybody! Bautieri, nice reference to the 6 Million Dollar Man. Sadly, though, with today's economic situation, I'd probably only rate $1.37!

TxVintage, you're right, the surgeries are no fun. But I have to say that, even with some of the problems I'm still dealing with, I'm WAAAYYY better than I was before I saddled up. It's made a tremendous difference.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome, everybody. Glad to be here and be upright a mobile (if not necessarily upwardly mobile)!!

John.