Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

My first 15 MPH headwind.

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 11-24-08, 09:00 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Today our club ride was a bit light on riders. Whatever the reason we only had five riders at the start of the ride but by the end we were down to two. About ten minutes before we got to our coffee break the wind came up. We were about 12 miles from home and obviously the front was moving in for the predicted rain tomorrow or the next day. By the time we finished our coffee, whatever the other guy was drinking, and my cliff bar the wind was blowing about 10MPH with a few gusts a bit higher. The wind was blowing almost due west and we had to make a choice of the most direct route home or somewhere we could get some shielding from the wind. The two of us simply could not exceed more than 11-14 mph at any one time. It seemed a lot stronger than when we left the coffee shop. The other rider was a lot stronger than me so he ended up pulling or at least blocking almost all the way home. Every time I tried to pull up in front the wind would almost stop me and we would end up going slower. It may not have been as hard as a climb for 40 minutes but I believe I was just as tired. Did I mention my average speed typically is about 16 to 17 MPH?
Old 11-24-08, 09:51 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
15 mph headwind? I'm usually losing ground when riding into one of those.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 11-24-08, 09:58 PM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
That's not too bad. It seems like I have a headwind blowing against me half the time.

15 is tough but do-able. I've had to ride home from work against 25 mph winds, and that will sure tire you out.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 11-24-08, 11:02 PM
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Doohickie
That's not too bad. It seems like I have a headwind blowing against me half the time.

15 is tough but do-able. I've had to ride home from work against 25 mph winds, and that will sure tire you out.
Well if it was blowing much harder I might have called for AAA, (more likely have my wife bring the car.) But if I tried to ride on the hoods I felt like I was going to have to shift into my lowest gear. I think because there were just two of us I was willing to put in more effort.
Old 11-24-08, 11:12 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Don't have much experience on it yet, but I noticed that I was catching much less wind on my new RANS Stratus recumbent as compared to my upright bikes. I did ride it into a 12-14 mph wind and the resistance was there, but minimal. I imagine that those low-racer bents and trikes feel it even less.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 11-24-08, 11:30 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not fun, not fun at all. Seems I always hit the headwinds on the way home, too, and always, always, always when I have to ride uphill for some reason. Consider it training. Think of the wattage.
Old 11-25-08, 12:02 AM
Señor Wences

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Headwinds suck.

No doubt about it.
Old 11-25-08, 06:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
It is at times like you've described that I'm glad I have drop bars on my bike. In many ways it's not unlike climbing except instead of thinking, "slide back, relax and spin", I think, "drop down, tuck in and spin." I'll have head `0 to 20+ mph headwinds on part of all of my rides until mid to late April. It just comes with the territory. Hence, my time expectations for any given ride shift... it will take longer.
Old 11-25-08, 06:29 AM

Bikes: LeMond Buenos Aires, Trek 7500, Scattante CFR, Burley Hudson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My guess is that the "no-show" riders listened to the weather forecast for the day. They wanted to miss the wind so they stayed home.
Old 11-25-08, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Headwinds are a commie plot
Old 11-25-08, 07:10 AM
el padre

Bikes: Rans Stratus, ICE TRike, other assorted

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am reminded of the time on the Bike Across Kansas that I came to the crest of a hill and had to downshift to go down hill... 10 mile an hour wind is natural here, some days less ... ...ya just have to remember the first rule of bike riding---> ride into the wind on your way out.
Old 11-25-08, 07:45 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
20 to 25 mph winds down here all spring and I still cant get use to them.
Old 11-25-08, 07:51 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I often ride the bike path along the river here. There is always a wind. I try to ride against the wind at the start so that it will be at my back on my return. Then of course there are the days when the wind shifts in the afternoon. I find high gusting cross winds the hardest.
Old 11-25-08, 08:26 AM

Bikes: Waterford 1200, Raleigh Record converted to a single speed, Citizen folding bike, Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had a bunch of that 15+mph winds this spring and then again this fall. If I'm just out riding, I try to go into when I leave so it's a good time coming home. If it's the commute, why does the wind ALWAYS shift during the day so I get that headwind both rides? Kind of like walking to school uphill both ways ain't it!?!
Old 11-25-08, 09:43 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Agree that crosswinds may be worse at times. Last spring I was ridng through an open area with a crosswind and had to lean sideways into it. Felt quite odd.
Old 11-25-08, 09:48 AM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I used to hate riding into any wind because it made me ride slower. One thing over the years I found is that the wind was not the only culprit is slowing me down. When I began riding with a Heart Rate Monitor I discovered that some of the the loss of speed was due to precieved excertion due in part to the moving air across my body. The HRM is a tool that tells how much you are working. Feeling the wind in my face, arms, shaking the bike etc... makes me feel like I'm working harder, but the HRM shows me that I still can ride faster/harder without blowing up later. I'll just push the pace to get my heart rate at a level I know I can ride at and stay in the drops and tight to the bike. When faced with riding into the wind I just say to myself "its the cost of doing business and deal with it A-hole". that usually works.
Old 11-25-08, 09:51 AM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
What does not kill you makes you stronger.

But it still sucks.

We have gotten reprieve from the north winds that have been hammering us for the past few weeks... they have been as high as 55 mph and I've been riding in them every day.
Old 11-25-08, 11:23 AM

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
My homeward commute serves up 15 - 25 mph headwinds quite often and the drop bars really help. Talked my wife into venturing out for a 20 mile ride during the Santa Anas we had a few weeks ago. 20+ mph tail wind on the outward leg let me hit 35 mph on the flats! The return home was a bit more work. Maintaining 15 mph was about all I could do and finally gave up and slowed blow 13 so my wife could keep up.
Old 11-25-08, 11:47 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Don't come to the UK this weekend. 30-35mph winds from the South. At least that will only be a headwind to the coffee break. Then a side wind- And then the rain will come with a change of wind direction.

Spike Milligan
Old 11-25-08, 11:53 AM
Freddin' it

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Using the power/speed calculator at https://bikecalculator.com/veloUS.html, for me, 150 lbs at 150 watts yields 17.62 mph with no headwind and no grade. A 15 mph headwind cuts this down to 9.88 mph at the same power output, which is slightly slower than the 10.13 mph that a 3% grade yields. Now think of that 3% grade being many miles long, with too frequent steeper portions when the wind gusts. Welcome to the Great Plains!
Old 11-25-08, 12:22 PM

Bikes: 2018 Domane SL7

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
Unrelenting headwinds are tough. Sometimes going uphill into the wind is a relief because at least the wind is partially blocked.

Cross wind can be fun, too. Be aware that a strong cross wind should be taken into account when deciding which side to unclip first. You can imagine how I found this out!
Old 11-25-08, 12:26 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Classic- Full Campy 10 Speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got back from the Outer Banks late last week and did several rides on US 12. After a cold front came through, I rode from Buxton to Hatterias with a 25 mph headwind, and gusts to 35 mph. With the headwinds, I was able to average about 16.5 mph and with the return tailwinds, between 21-25 mph. I was afraid to go any faster, with the tailwinds, because of the horrible condition of the roads. The total distance was about 27 miles and my average speed came out to around 17.5 mph. The hotel never looked so good! Rode the next morning from Buxton to Rodanthe in the AM, without much wind, and still averaged about 19.0 mph because of the road.
Old 11-25-08, 12:40 PM

Bikes: Trek 1200 and Trek hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the norm

This thread makes me feel better. On the Florida east coast where the wind is often 15 or there abouts I feel better to know that I'm not just being a weenie when the wind gets that high. Today is only 10-12 mph but it's raining.
Old 11-25-08, 03:01 PM
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have noticed that when you ride a bicycle you learn more about the tarrain in your area and you can feel the weather changing. I knew the low was coming in because rain clouds pull the air towards them as they build into thunderheads. I could feel the moisture in the air and the temperature dropping. But like many others have expressed I am glad I had drops to use when the gusts were higher. I just never realized how hard it was to keep peddeling in such a wind. There is no coasting when you are running dead into the wind.
Old 11-25-08, 03:02 PM

Bikes: Surly Pugsley, Jamis Renegade, Kona Rove, Salsa Pistola, Raleigh M60, Raleigh Sport Touring Team USA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Over half of my riding is related to my daily commuting so for that I have no option about what direction to head. For the other half, I don't think I've ever stopped to think about it before I start off, rather I just complain and moan when I do find myself confronted by a headwind. But I have added the wind as one of the elements of my ride journal. My final thought. For the past couple of years I have been trying to do as much of my cycling without having to put the bike in (or on) a car to get to a ride. This means that my rides are either out and back or circular routes. With that pattern it is difficult to avoid headwinds in at least one direction. Since it has been brought up, maybe I'll start to see if my rides go better by taking the leg into the wind first whenever possible.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.