Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Track Dropouts Necessary?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-04, 11:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello all. I've been lurking on this forum ever since I decided to get a new bike. So, here's the deal. I recently picked up a '91 Diamondback Prevail Frame and Fork on eBay for super cheap. I'd like to build this bike up with a flip flop hub, fixed/free. Below are the dropouts. Should I get these dropouts hacked off and get track dropouts instead? If so, are there any shops in DC/NOVA/MD that are willing to do this? Any help is appreciated.

Old 04-02-04, 11:53 AM
floor sleeper

Bikes: Raleigh Twenty, Puch 3 speed road conversion, lookin' into a Karate Monkey for a cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Those are pretty short horizontal drop outs... and not to be a dik or nuthin' - but they would be track ends (not track dropouts) since you can't drop the wheel out of them .. anyway - you could try a hub with those dropouts and see if you can get enough tension on the chain... if not you could use a singulator type device and hang it off the derailleur hanger there... or get new ends put on (you don't need track ends, you could also get longer horizontal dropouts put on)
Old 04-02-04, 11:56 AM
Danger is my middle name.

Bikes: Can't stand the damn things...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by robertsdvd
you could use a singulator type device and hang it off the derailleur hanger there...
I disagree. I don't think running a fixed gear through a singulator would be a very good idea.
Old 04-02-04, 11:57 AM
floor sleeper

Bikes: Raleigh Twenty, Puch 3 speed road conversion, lookin' into a Karate Monkey for a cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lucklust
I disagree. I don't think running a fixed gear through a singulator would be a very good idea.
Eh, probably right, but he/she could use the freewheel side at least...
Old 04-02-04, 12:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey roberts and lucklust... thanks for the help. And roberts, you weren't being a "dik". By the way, I'm a guy. So, does anyone know of a bike shop in DC that can put new ends on my frame? I spoke with CityBikes in Adams-Morgan and they had no idea.
Old 04-02-04, 12:06 PM
floor sleeper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you'll probably need a framebuilder... reckon you could just go around to the shops and keep asking?
Old 04-02-04, 12:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
there's certainly 'some' degree of adjustability in there....playing with difft gearing combos; you can certainly get VERY close....a FI eccentric axle can fill in take up any slight remaining inadequacies (sic)
Old 04-02-04, 12:25 PM
ONE GEAR TO RULE THEM ALL

Bikes: specialized langster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would think thatr having someone put new ends on your frame would be pretty pricey. why not just go with a new frame?
Old 04-02-04, 12:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've read elsewhere on this board that having someone put new ends on the frame can run around $60. If that's the case, I won't be buying a new frame. Additionally, I'm not working with a lot of money and would hate to go out and get a new frame.
Old 04-02-04, 01:46 PM
ONE GEAR TO RULE THEM ALL

Bikes: specialized langster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't really know what the cost would be, I was just thinking it would be expensive.
Old 04-02-04, 02:03 PM
Spawn of Satan

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What is the frame made out of? Steel is quick and easy. I had some done cheap.

I do not know if you can mess with aluminum.
Old 04-02-04, 02:18 PM

Bikes: Rock Lobster track, Colnago Dream, Ti Paramount, Litespeed Vortex compact, Santa Cruz Blur, Bianchi cyclocross...always wanting more...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try asking any good local shop about area framebuilders...start with Revolution and/or Pro Bikes in DC or that shop (who's name I can't recall) in College Park right by U. of Md. I lived in DC for a few years and remember there was a framebuilding school in suburban MD but can't for the life of me remember that name either. Good luck.
Old 04-02-04, 02:30 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's RC cromoly, which I'm assuming can be referred to as just steel.

Originally Posted by captsven
What is the frame made out of? Steel is quick and easy. I had some done cheap.

I do not know if you can mess with aluminum.
Old 04-02-04, 02:43 PM
seeking simple

Bikes: Yes!

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I would try filing those out a little longer before I got it pro modified. But then, I'm a metalsmith. I don't think it would affect integrity. (except you would do this in an even line, unlike the wonky picture...)
Old 04-02-04, 03:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got a pinarello with even less adjustability than that and I've found a ratio that works great. Go to: https://www.peak.org/~fixin/personal/fmu/php/index.php you can get pretty close with their calculator, and then it's just a matter of experimenting with ratios and using half links. Cheaper than new dropouts if it works and you can get a ratio you are happy with.
Old 04-02-04, 03:07 PM
hello

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by schwinnbikelove
I think I would try filing those out a little longer before I got it pro modified.
Excellent suggestion... I'd try that first myself.

George
Old 04-02-04, 03:09 PM
(Grouchy)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by familyman
I've got a pinarello with even less adjustability than that and I've found a ratio that works great. Go to: https://www.peak.org/~fixin/personal/fmu/php/index.php you can get pretty close with their calculator, and then it's just a matter of experimenting with ratios and using half links. Cheaper than new dropouts if it works and you can get a ratio you are happy with.
HEY!!! you have that pinarello pursuit/TT bike that's all swoopy, right? where's the pictorz!? WE (I) NEED PICTORZ!!!!!
Old 04-02-04, 03:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OneTinSloth
HEY!!! you have that pinarello pursuit/TT bike that's all swoopy, right? where's the pictorz!? WE (I) NEED PICTORZ!!!!!
In time, things are a bit wacky around here right now. It is damn sexy though. Damn sexy.
Old 04-02-04, 06:46 PM

Bikes: Panasonic,Peugeot Px10,Cinelli super corsa, Cinelli Olympic Pista, Bianchi Pista, Gitane Tandem, all fixed Gear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by econobot
Hello all. I've been lurking on this forum ever since I decided to get a new bike. So, here's the deal. I recently picked up a '91 Diamondback Prevail Frame and Fork on eBay for super cheap. I'd like to build this bike up with a flip flop hub, fixed/free. Below are the dropouts. Should I get these dropouts hacked off and get track dropouts instead? If so, are there any shops in DC/NOVA/MD that are willing to do this? Any help is appreciated.

One solution you might consider is a White Industries ENO eccentric hub. It has an off center bolt hole that allows for adjustment of the chain slack.
I have had bikes converted to track ends from their original configuration and the cost for the Stainless Steel track ends was about 40 Bucks, not including any painting necessary. If you are having the frame repainted then that is not an issue. The White hubs would allow you to get up and running without altering the frame and see if you like it. The hubs can be used again with another frame if you don't.

fixedgearhead
Old 04-02-04, 08:12 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all! This has been extraordinarily helpful. Perhaps I'll post a photo of my bike when it's finished.
Old 04-02-04, 11:36 PM
Loose Member

Bikes: IRO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by econobot
Thank you all! This has been extraordinarily helpful. Perhaps I'll post a photo of my bike when it's finished.

I run a fixed with the same dropouts as the one in the picture. I run a 46/17 and have no problem with tension. If you find the gearing you want there are chainring/cog combo's that would work for you without messing with the dropouts.

Tony