Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Campagnolo front brake?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Campagnolo front brake?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-08, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Campagnolo front brake?

Hey all-

Another dumb question for my Niskiki build up. I would like to get a new front brake...would this Campagnolo Veloce work ok for just my front brake? Would the reach and fitment be a problem because I did have 27's on the bike originally. I really like the look and price! Let me know if there is anything else out their that would be more fitting for my application!

Thanks for all the help,
Freelander
Old 11-27-08, 01:14 PM

Bikes: A few BSO's.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 27 Posts
I don't see "THIS" Must be a computer glitch
Old 11-27-08, 04:03 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by golfer007
Hey all-

Another dumb question for my Niskiki build up. I would like to get a new front brake...would this Campagnolo Veloce work ok for just my front brake? Would the reach and fitment be a problem because I did have 27's on the bike originally. I really like the look and price! Let me know if there is anything else out their that would be more fitting for my application!

Thanks for all the help,
Freelander
None of us can tell you for sure (though i bet the answer is no). You have to measure the reach on your fork for yourself and compare it to the published range for that caliper. Sheldon will tell you how but heres a cutn paste anyway

measuring brake reach:

This caliper has a reach range of 39-49 mm. As shown, with the brake shoe adjusted all the way up, it measures 39 mm from the center of the bolt to the center of the brake pad.

measuring fork reach:

This fork and rim combination call for a brake caliper that can be adjusted to provide a 45 mm reach.

The caliper shown would fit.
Old 11-27-08, 05:32 PM

Bikes: How'd I get this many?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm really looking forward to seeing this bicycle in the picture thread. From what I've gathered...you have a 1970s Nishiki road frame, a tubular wheelset and now a Campagnolo brake caliper...this sounds like an interesting build you've got going on...
Old 11-28-08, 02:19 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, first of all, I am a severely tight-budgeted college student who is trying to build up a pretty slick SS. Whats wrong with the Camp. brakes? They are only 20 bucks and I really like the look of them? And you guys need to keep in mind that I am rather new to this whole scene and I am going for the cleanest/cheapest setup I can for the time being. Any other recommendations?
Old 11-28-08, 02:53 PM
Gear Hub fan

Bikes: Civia Hyland Rohloff, Swobo Dixon, Colnago, Univega

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As already noted you need to install the intended front wheel and measure the distance from the brake mounting hole in the fork to the center of the rim braking surface, then measure the caliper reach as shown. W/O those dimensions we cannot advise unless you find a poster with an identical setup to yours. That is impossible to tell too since you do not even list the model of Campy brake being referred to and they have made many over the years. Most are adjustable for reach from 39mm to 49mm.

If reaches are compatible then the Campy brake should be fine.

I know my Japanese fixed gear frame needed medium reach brake calipers, not available from Campy. I measured things as shown above to determine required reach before buying brakes.
Old 11-28-08, 04:57 PM
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Well, first of all, I am a severely tight-budgeted college student who is trying to build up a pretty slick SS. Whats wrong with the Camp. brakes? They are only 20 bucks and I really like the look of them? And you guys need to keep in mind that I am rather new to this whole scene and I am going for the cleanest/cheapest setup I can for the time being. Any other recommendations?
How about posting the answer to some of the questions that were asked instead of irrelevant fluff. Like the brake reach number for example, and possibly even the specific brakes you planned on getting.
Old 11-28-08, 08:04 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, how about not getting on my case. Geeze, sorry, calm dowm man. I am planning on switching from a 27 to a 700, which I stated in my original post. I also posted the model, Campy Veloce. Sounds like people need to start reading everything through if they are going to try to help me.
Old 11-29-08, 03:12 PM
Gear Hub fan

Bikes: Civia Hyland Rohloff, Swobo Dixon, Colnago, Univega

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
OK, how about not getting on my case. Geeze, sorry, calm dowm man. I am planning on switching from a 27 to a 700, which I stated in my original post. I also posted the model, Campy Veloce. Sounds like people need to start reading everything through if they are going to try to help me.
Been numerous brakes sold by Campy under the name Veloce. Campy names indicate price/performance level, not models. Been true for close to 20 years. I know of at least three totally different brake designs/models they have sold under the Veloce name since it was introduced. So far as I know all have been the mentioned short reach brakes with an adjustment range of about 39mm to 49mm.

We still need the distance from brake mounting hole on your fork to the center of the rim braking area. This is THE determinimg factor. If measured with the old 27" wheel in the fork then add 4mm to the distance for the change to a 700C wheel to determine needed distance. If the measured distance, with correction, is more than 49mm then the brake will not fit. If at or close to 49mm then the answer is "Maybe". If you do not currently have a front wheel then fit a borrowed 700C wheel and do the measurement. Variations due to rim make and shape will be minor.

Last edited by tatfiend; 11-29-08 at 10:52 PM. Reason: correct termionology used
Old 11-29-08, 10:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow finally someone willing to help and be polite. Thanks man. I will let you know as soon as I figure it out.