Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Fresher legs with fixed gear

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 11-29-08, 10:32 AM

Bikes: Litespeed Appalachian (commuter); Gueciotti, Merlin, Bianchi San Jose, single speed, Trek 2120 that's morphed into a single speed, Co-Motion tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

After 35 years of freewheel riding I took up fixed gear about 2 weeks ago. My legs feel fresher after a fixed gear ride than after a similar freewheel ride. I wonder if the constant leg movement on the fixie results in less blood pooling in the legs than when coasting? Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 11-29-08, 10:36 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
that sir is what the French call "souplesse"
Old 11-29-08, 11:27 AM
META

Bikes: Gary Fisher Aquila (retired), Specialized Allez Sport (in parts), Cannondale R500, HP Velotechnic Street Machine, Dented Blue Fixed Gear (retired), Seven Tsunami SSFG, Specialized Stumpjumper Comp Hardtail (alloy version)

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
My theory: fixed gear riding makes "maintenance" pedaling much easier. You're expending less energy to keep the bike going at one speed (particularly that speed that your gear ratio is best at). Thus, your legs feel fresher at the end of a ride.
Old 11-29-08, 12:31 PM
not actually Nickatina

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're doing active recovery throughout - same as on a road bike if you hammer really hard in a big gear, and then shift down to a much easier gear and do some high RPM spinning to relieve the 'burn'.
Old 11-29-08, 12:46 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think your body will adjust and your legs will eventually feel as dead as ever. I find no real difference among any of my bikes.... other that the fact that a change of pace is always nice.
Old 11-29-08, 12:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I noticed it too. I think the reason is that because you're constantly moving your legs, you clear the built up lactate from your muscles much better than if you were to coast. After noticing this, I stopped coasting on my road bike unless necessary and I found that my endurance was greatly increased.
Old 11-30-08, 12:28 AM
SpecialK

Bikes: 2007 SE Lager

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's also the through-the-dead-spot effect of riding fixed. I find you expend a lot of excess energy when accelerating on a SS at the point when your cranks are vertical.
Old 11-30-08, 10:36 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like someone said above it has more to do with the fact just the momentum of riding is pushing the pedals more than you think you are pushing the pedals.

Ride nothing but your fix gear for a month and hop on the road bike and go for a ride, it will kick your ass.
Old 11-30-08, 01:08 PM
どうでもいいよ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by filtersweep
I find no real difference among any of my bikes.... other that the fact that a change of pace is always nice.
Same here.