Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Turned around and rode home...

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Turned around and rode home...

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-08, 03:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Weather report Weather report

HI,
I have become a weather Guru, I watch the 11pm report for rain,snow,wind. direction and so on.
Sometimes I get tricked by minor wind shifts un expected.
I was ridding two days ago with the group and we have a loop thats 21 miles with a outbound and circle at the end with a return trek.
So I look down and see we are doing 20-22 MPH and I think damn I am getting in shape. and the group is pulling hard to pull away, and I think man this is a super fast group-b.
And at the 12 mile marker we start the right turn and I feel gust of wind tugging on me and I feel my guts sink.And Then the lights go on oh my gosh we had a strong tail wind...
So its down shift and revs's 90+ to hit 12mph, and creep the remainder miles back home all whipped and pooped ..
Living near the coast can cause some rather dramatic weather changes when those cold fronts approach..
Doug

Thoughts of calling for a rescue did cross my mind once or twice if it wasn't so far back in the back bay like they could find me...
Old 12-01-08, 03:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by djnzlab1
HI,
Thoughts of calling for a rescue did cross my mind once or twice if it wasn't so far back in the back bay like they could find me...
That's precicley the reason we absolutely NEED that new Garmon for Christmas!
"But Honey....you want me to be safe out there, don't you?"
You could call in your exact position.
Maybe ONSTAR will develop a cycling version.
hmmm.....

My nice new Nashbar Touring Build AKA "The Flying Avocadooooooooo!"
1998(?) Trek 700 Multitrack
1995 Trek 1220 AKA "Jimi"
Older Non-suspension Specialized Hardrock
Old 12-01-08, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Windy here today and thought of this post as I rode into it at a painful and slow pace. Stayed with it for 11 miles and turned downwind and really enjoyed the ride home.

There's a weird zen that happens downwind.. no noise and way more speed than you should have.. found myself cruising at over 25 for a pretty long stretch absolutely hipmooootized by the sound of singing chain and tires on pavement.

Wish there was a way to have the wind behind me all the time.