Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-17, 08:52 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango
Great pics DD and congrats on a 50 miler. That's a nice ride for sure.

Info: It's at Cold Water Creek, a former government facility.

I believe the structure was part of an old well operation.

The area has been completed converted back to tall grass prairie and Oak Savannah.

So many of our rides cut through this area to get to the southern Metro area.

It really is gorgeous.
Thanks! I felt pretty good. @Wildwood and I are doing Mount Rainier National Park from the Carbonado on Monday for our birthday ride (he and I share the 17th), so I'm resting tomorrow

And thanks for the explanation and additional pics - those are great. I like the looks of that little area. Cool that you caught a pic of the garter snake

DD
Old 07-15-17, 11:50 PM

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,794 Times in 668 Posts
I woke up this morning early - around 4:30AM and see a text message from Bob Freeman from the previous night. He and @Andy Antipas are heading up to climb Sunrise in the Mt. Rainier National Park in the morning, would I like to join them?

“heck yea” I respond.

So there we were, a few hours later, pulling off and parking at the bottom of the Crystal Mountain Parkway just outside the Park Entrance. One of my Happy Places.

Short time later we clip in and start the climb into the park. Bob is riding a titanium Davidson with vintage 6sp Super Record, Andy is riding a stunning flamboyant blue Colnago Super and I am on my Merckx MX Leader. The weather is mild, mostly clear but with clouds starting to form around Rainier, expectations for a bluebird day are tossed away which is too bad because this is Andy’s first ride into the park.

It’s busy today and by the time we get to the White River Entrance where Park Rangers collect visitors fees there is a long lineup of cars. A sign is posted saying the Sunrise lot is full so expect long delays. This is actually a selfishly good thing from a bikers perspective because the Rangers are metering entry for as many cars they see exiting and this morning very few a exiting. The Sunrise Road will be quiet for our roughly 9 mile climb to Sunrise. We climb up at our individual paces and regroup at Inspiration Point roughly 2 miles from Sunrise Visitors Center. The picture may not show it but Andy is enjoying himself here!

Andy is near the top by NBend, on Flickr

We get to the top and see there’s not much of a view today with the clouds wrapped around the mountain so I ask another biker to take a few pictures of our mugs for posterity instead.

Sunrise Simians by NBend, on Flickr

With nothing else left to do, we go inside for a bite to eat.

Can’t really say the food was all that great but it’s at least something. After we eat, Andy buys some souvenirs in the gift shop and we go outside, get our bikes and descend one of the funnest downhills in Washington State.

The road is in great shape, the traffic is light, and soon Andy and I are trading places at the front going as fast as we can through long straightways and chicanes, touching brakes only for the hairpins. It was a great way to get to know another forum member and I found myself completely at ease riding in close quarters with him. He’s obviously a highly capable bike handler.

I sure appreciated the invite from Bob this morning - it was an unexpected treat. I loved riding with you guys.
When we look normal by NBend, on Flickr
Old 07-16-17, 06:55 AM
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
Wow, look at you guys go!

The photography in this thread is improving by the day, and it was already pretty darned good to begin with.
@Drillium Dude - Love the low angle on the Medici shot. And the use of light in your other shots shows that you are paying attention.
@gomango - Yes, beautiful paint on that bike, but where was that shot taken? I know it must be within riding distance for me, but it doesn't look familiar.

This is fun to watch. Keep `em coming!

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!
Old 07-16-17, 08:32 AM

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Here you go DQRider.

https://www.nps.gov/miss/planyourvisit/coldwater.htm

Originally Posted by DQRider
Wow, look at you guys go!

The photography in this thread is improving by the day, and it was already pretty darned good to begin with.
@Drillium Dude - Love the low angle on the Medici shot. And the use of light in your other shots shows that you are paying attention.
@gomango - Yes, beautiful paint on that bike, but where was that shot taken? I know it must be within riding distance for me, but it doesn't look familiar.

This is fun to watch. Keep `em coming!

Old 07-16-17, 09:32 AM

Bikes: are fun!

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 864 Times in 273 Posts
Hot lap before a family party...just under an hour at a good effort. Woke me right up!

---
...catching up with the last couple pages of this thread.

@Drillium Dude, nice pics, I 'experienced' The Experience Music Project in either 2000/2001, really cool spot. Among the other exhibits I remember a gigantic multi-story guitar sculpture somewhere near the entrance(?) - really cool place.

Great pics all around, this thread is one of the best.

Last edited by Sir_Name; 07-16-17 at 08:42 PM.
Old 07-16-17, 12:30 PM
Ellensburg, WA

Bikes: See my signature

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 458 Times in 160 Posts
Took the Klein out for a "brunch" ride and some serious climbing. Barely crawling up a couple of the inclines so the sweat was running and I was feeling "good". It always seems to be hard to catch the true angle of a grade with a camera.

The last 4 miles is an old spur logging road that was overgrown in places but actually cleaned up fairly well after the local sheepherder came through with the sheep a month or so ago.

At the top you come to a nice open area that was serenely quiet. If I wasn't so wiped from climbing and needing to work some softball stuff with my daughter I would have followed the path on and up to see where it went.

Old 07-16-17, 02:32 PM

Bikes: Looking for a Baylis or Wizard in 59-62cm range

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 115 Posts
Roads we ride

Post ride
Old 07-16-17, 03:36 PM
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
"Mmmm, roads, he rode" Yoda said. Today's ride added 66 miles to the Masi. I wanted to get out to Lancaster, no particular reason, just a nominal destination half a world away. A few things conspired to delay me (that happens to me a lot, I never quite make my original destination) so I ended up doing a nice backroads loop in Stowe before heading home. One of the delays was stopping to assist another cyclist. It turns out some guy had lost a link of his chain and a woman cyclist with thoroughly grimy hands was trying to fix it. She'd removed one link but was having trouble getting her chain tool to drive the last pin home. I carry a spare Quick Link so I offered it. Then she says "Ah, it went in! You helped just by showing up!" He! I wish it were that easy, just show up and things work. In real life however...

The second delay was this on Powder Mill Rd which I think is in Concord at this point. There's huge hole between here and there.

That other cyclist pulled up as I was setting up for a picture. He was doing a longish ride out of Chelmsford and wanted to dash west over to Old Pickard Rd for a run back into Concord. Otherwise he was out of his element and didn't know how to get back. I wanted to cut over to rt117 bypassing a section with a narrow shoulder. So I said I knew how to get around that obstacle. Traffic was light so we rode together south to rt117 then west to Dakum Rd where he went north. As we were starting off he noted my bike, said "That's a real classic." We spoke bikes for a bit. It was nice payback for showing him how to get back on track.

I continued west, through parts of Maynard, stopped for a quick lunch in some nice shade at a shopping center in Stowe.

The bike took a selfie of itself too.

The way back was uneventful. My left knee has been talking to me these last few weeks, and some of the things it has been saying aren't exactly, as how you might say, charitable. I think a tendon is the squeaky part. Must be careful not to mash too hard. Fortunately the Masi encourages spinning!

Last edited by jimmuller; 07-16-17 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Spleling
Old 07-16-17, 04:30 PM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
Great pics from all.
i'm missing too much fun in this cooler (than the last 3 summers) weather. The exceptionally wet winter exposed some issues in this now 18 year old house. Here I am excavating a crushed downspout drain that's sitting on the foundation footing, about 3.5 ft below ground level. This is 2nd spot where the 4" pipe had been compromised. My saddle time is waaay down, as I dig slowly and recover poorly.

Now back to your regularly scheduled fun pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Old 07-16-17, 05:27 PM

Bikes: too many old steel bikes

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 938 Times in 176 Posts
After meeting Matt (@Northbend) during the Seattle bike expo back in March, it was great to finally ride with him. His fitness on the climb was impressive as he effortlessly pedaled away in a significantly higher gear than I was riding... Though my fitness has steadily improved, I have a long way to go to be able to keep pace with Matt. We had a great time flying down the decent, which came to an end all to quickly. Sunrise makes the third epic NW climb for me in three weekends including Artist Point and Hurricane Ridge. All great character building climbs and I would be hard pressed to pick a favorite.

Last edited by Andy Antipas; 07-16-17 at 10:45 PM.
Old 07-16-17, 06:12 PM

Bikes: too many old steel bikes

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 938 Times in 176 Posts
Sunrise Climb Mt. Rainier NP

Here are a few of my pics from the ride to Sunrise overlook in Mt. Rainier National Park
Attached Images
IMG_0567.jpg (96.3 KB, 120 views)
IMG_0585.jpg (97.7 KB, 119 views)
IMG_0588.jpg (100.1 KB, 119 views)
Old 07-16-17, 06:37 PM
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
The Downside of "Sleeping In"...

... is that you get to deal with the harsh light of mid-day.

To celebrate Bastille Day two days late, and the Tour de France, I rode my first French bike this morning on part of the Grand Rounds that @gomango mentioned yesterday.

In keeping with this spirit of insouciance, I also elected to sleep in, have a nice breakfast with the wife, and didn't actually hit the trail until about 10a.m.

Man, was that sun ever bright!

So all of my photographs today are very contrasty and sharp - my penance for being French; er, I mean lazy.

Still, some of them turned out alright:

At one point I rode past this "Ghost Bike" - the first one I've actually seen on a ride:

I don't know whom it commemorates; there wasn't a name or anything on it that I could see.

Anyway, everyone who goes to Mill Ruins Park near Saint Anthony Falls probably takes this shot:

... and that's all I have for today. I'll post more later in the week.

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!
Old 07-16-17, 07:55 PM

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Cannondale Trail 6, Fuji Track Bike, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pics

How do you post pics on here? Says URL?
Old 07-16-17, 09:02 PM

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1610 Post(s)
Liked 2,591 Times in 1,224 Posts
Hit "go Advanced", then hit "Manage Attachments".
Old 07-16-17, 09:43 PM
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,378 Times in 891 Posts
Doh!

Old 07-16-17, 09:59 PM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy Antipas
After meeting Matt (@Northbend) during the Seattle bike expo back in March, it was great to finally ride with him. His fitness on the climb was impressive as he effortlessly pedaled away in a significantly higher gear than I was riding... Though my fitness has steadily improved, I have a long way to go to be able to keep pace with Matt. We had a great time flying down the decent, which came to an end all to quickly. Sunshine makes the third epic NW climb for me in three weekends including Artist Point and Hurricane Ridge. All great character building climbs and I would be hard pressed to pick a favorite.
Matt has the reputation of being a hardman in any environment. Dirt&gravel for days on wooden wheels, climbs like a goat - unless it's fixed/ss, whereby he climbs like a slow goat, easily gets in a century before lunch, etc. BTW, he will also snow ski your azz off with double diamonds, too. And hike your legs into nubs. Plus the recent unsupported month-long tour.

But i like goofy guy MP.

edit: if this wasn't a BICYCLE forum my first (and only (unfortunately)) ski day with Northbend would be appropriate for telling. hmmn - let me look for a pic. that's not a 'thumbs-up' for the camera, he is pointing to the double diamond run he's going to take me to, on my first day last season.
Attached Images
DSC00826 (2).jpg (93.1 KB, 100 views)
Matt at Crystal.jpg (96.8 KB, 99 views)

Last edited by Wildwood; 07-16-17 at 10:19 PM.
Old 07-17-17, 07:33 AM

VR- Your Pegoretti is officially in the running for my favorite Italian bike.

Ever.

Seriously.
Old 07-17-17, 07:44 AM

VR- Your Pegoretti is officially in the running for my favorite Italian bike.

Ever.

Seriously.
Thanks Grady, it's a Legnano tribute.
Old 07-17-17, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Vonruden
Thanks Grady, it's a Legnano tribute.
Did Dario build it just for you?

It appears to be spot on size wise for you.

It also has one of my favorite fork crowns.

The color is very eye catching and the build looks to be performance minded.

A complete, thoughtfully executed effort.

How's about a thread somewhere so we can gawk.
Old 07-17-17, 11:20 AM
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,404 Times in 1,205 Posts
Yep, that peg is stunning!
Old 07-17-17, 03:22 PM

Bikes: Tomii Touring

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 17 Posts
Just a ride to the post office and the town square.

2017-07-17_05-09-42 by flog00, on Flickr
Old 07-17-17, 03:37 PM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,471 Times in 1,435 Posts
The last ride I have pictures from was on the 9th. I made a route seeking out climbing challenges. It's 26 miles with 1,900 feet of climbing. The first big hill was harder than the second, which is strange, because the second looks both longer and steeper. Anyway, I did OK and even bumped my ranking on the first hill.

GPS tracks

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-17-17, 05:07 PM

Bikes: are fun!

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 864 Times in 273 Posts
How's about a thread somewhere so we can gawk.
Seconded, that's a special bike @Vonruden.
Old 07-17-17, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Sir_Name
Seconded, that's a special bike @Vonruden.
Thanks guys, I'll get some closeups and start a Luigino thread.
Old 07-17-17, 07:07 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Nice pictures @noglider, very well composed Tom. That sounds like a right productive day of exploring and climbing for you.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.