Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Old 12-25-11, 02:27 PM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
It depends. If you know the people there (as randyjawa apparently does), they will let you in. I've done that exactly once. I got a 1973 Schwinn Varsity, which I still ride, from the city dump. I was dropping off something else and spotted the bike. I asked the guy there if I could take it and he replied, "You're not supposed to take stuff from the dump, but since you asked..... go ahead."

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 12-25-11, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The local dump here has a large facility called “Last Chance” where people will drop off stuff to be resold, like Goodwill does. Most of the bikes there are not worth anything, but every once in a while, you will find a diamond-in-the-rough. The bikes usually sell for $25.
Old 12-26-11, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikedued
Not my catch, but does ANYone know what the heck this is? Or what a Yankee bike is for that matter?,,,,BD

https://houston.craigslist.org/bik/2760691325.html
Oh man, Yankee bikes. I've repaired one up for a charity auction for the Sierra Nevada (beer company) Bike Fest in Davis. Yankees were made by an American company that went out of business years ago. They have an unique shifting system when you pedal backwards and it causes the chain to drop to a lower chain, and pedaling foward to get to a higher one, all done while pushing on his shifter on the right side of the handlebars. It's really hard to explain and must be seen to actually see how it works.

Also, its got a really horrible braking system. The back rim has his groove where a cable actually wraps into and goes all around the rim, and when you pull on the brake level, the cable tightens. The idea is that there is more surface area for a more efficient braking. Problem is, its loud and slows down the bike from its constant rubbing.

Fun bike though. A collectors from what I can tell.
Old 12-26-11, 09:27 PM
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rothenfield1
The local dump here has a large facility called “Last Chance” where people will drop off stuff to be resold, like Goodwill does. Most of the bikes there are not worth anything, but every once in a while, you will find a diamond-in-the-rough. The bikes usually sell for $25.
Ummm....I should drop by there occasionally, not just to drop off, either. Don't worry, I won't be your competition!
Old 12-26-11, 10:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sarals
Ummm....I should drop by there occasionally, not just to drop off, either. Don't worry, I won't be your competition!
I don’t have competition; there is nobody like me, and I let serendipity take care of the rest.
Old 12-26-11, 11:53 PM
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rothenfield1
I don’t have competition; there is nobody like me, and I let serendipity take care of the rest.
Old 12-27-11, 02:58 AM

Bikes: 2019 Canyon Neuron, 2014 Cotic Escapade, 2012 Cannondale RZ 120 XLR 2, 2010 Gary Fisher Ion Pro, 2002 Cannondale F800, 1996 Kona Kilauea

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chromatography
Oh man, Yankee bikes. I've repaired one up for a charity auction for the Sierra Nevada (beer company) Bike Fest in Davis. Yankees were made by an American company that went out of business years ago. They have an unique shifting system when you pedal backwards and it causes the chain to drop to a lower chain, and pedaling foward to get to a higher one, all done while pushing on his shifter on the right side of the handlebars. It's really hard to explain and must be seen to actually see how it works.

Also, its got a really horrible braking system. The back rim has his groove where a cable actually wraps into and goes all around the rim, and when you pull on the brake level, the cable tightens. The idea is that there is more surface area for a more efficient braking. Problem is, its loud and slows down the bike from its constant rubbing.

Fun bike though. A collectors from what I can tell.
Cool, thanks for sharing. Here's a few images: https://www.ustimes.com/Bicycle/

and an explanation of the transmission system (Popular Science '85): https://books.google.no/books?id=lQAA...page&q&f=false

and an article on the bike itself (Popular Science '91): https://books.google.no/books?id=l3Cx...page&q&f=false
Old 12-27-11, 07:06 AM
OldBikeGuide.com

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikedued
Not my catch, but does ANYone know what the heck this is? Or what a Yankee bike is for that matter?,,,,BD

https://houston.craigslist.org/bik/2760691325.html

You'll find info on Yankee cycles in our archives.
Old 12-27-11, 07:19 AM

Bikes: '81 Fuji Royale/ '96 Rockhopper

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I need to hit the local Goodwills.
Old 12-27-11, 07:32 AM
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 957 Times in 624 Posts
Originally Posted by Drummerboy1975
I need to hit the local Goodwills.
Just plan on hitting them continually, if you want to find bikes. Around here, the good bikes last 15 seconds, no joke. I grabbed a Bianchi a few weeks back, I just happened to be there when it rolled out. I put my hands on it immediately. You could see the pickers forming to grab it. I just lucked out.

There are ALWAYS pickers in our Goodwill, any time of day, they typically specialize on one area (not bikes), but they know enough about everything that when they spot a deal, they grab it. People are scrambling, and learning more and more about areas that were not their expertise, to make a buck. Shoes, toys, clothing, housewares, electronics, musical instruments, you name it, the savvy pickers are grabbing everything/anything. There's one picker at my favorite Goodwill, that sells 100 to 200 items PER WEEK on ebay, picked at GW. A lot of the items, she will only make a couple of dollars on, then there is the big hit, where she will make $50 or even $100 (on an item picked up for around $4). Every time I see her, she has a shopping cart full, sometimes TWO carts full. I can only imagine creating the listings, taking the pictures, packing the items, and hauling to the post office with that volume.

Three or four years ago, it was easy to find good bikes at Goodwill. The economy was pretty decent, there weren't that many pickers out there, etc. Decent bikes might last two or three days. Now there is a line forming out front 30 minutes before the store opens, and the crowd grabs a cart and RUNS to their favorite corner, and grabs, grabs, grabs.

Heck, even the XMart stuff is going pretty fast. I figure the pickers take that junk to the flea market, they pay $10 for a BSO, and sell it for $30.

Last edited by wrk101; 12-27-11 at 07:56 AM.
Old 12-27-11, 04:59 PM

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1590 Post(s)
Liked 2,492 Times in 1,190 Posts
Yep, it doesn't take much to get an insider there. It's worth taking the time to show a little love...
Old 12-27-11, 08:30 PM

Bikes: 1983 Trek 600, 1973 Mercian

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Splurged on a Miyata Triple Cross on eBay... been looking for a versatile cross/commuter/do-it-all bike and it looked to be in great condition. Never bought a complete bike on eBay though, hope it turns out OK.
Old 12-27-11, 10:55 PM

Bikes: Fuji S12-S, Puegeot Tour De Monde, Maruishi Road Ace 303, Raleigh Wyoming Touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hoss Cartright

1983 Raleigh Prestige - Too tall for me but I ride it anyway. I paid maybe a little too much at $200.00 but it had new Bontrager hardcase tires and is very nice, almost perfect paint, never been dropped. Has a Campy crank-set from a DeRosa
I had a friend who found one of these in the trash, and i saw one on craigslist also. They both had ofmega cranks and everything else was suntour superbe(derailleurs, levels, calipers, pedals, and cages), i really want one of these the one on craigslist is being sold for $500 right now, nice buy
Old 12-28-11, 07:18 AM

Bikes: Schwinns, lots of them. Some Paramounts

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
Beautiful bike, but definitely a little later than 1983. The RACING USA logos are shown in 1985 but not 1983.
Looks like the S/N chart says it is a 1984 model. S/N is 4LS2XXX on bottom bracket, so is Japan or Taiwan made frame.
Old 01-01-12, 10:06 AM
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

~1984 Centurion Elite GT touring bike. Typical flat tire discount. Great shape overall, but needs the regular stuff: bearings, grease, cables, tires, bar tape.

Old 01-01-12, 10:08 AM

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 196 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
~1984 Centurion Elite GT touring bike. Typical flat tire discount. Great shape overall, but needs the regular stuff: bearings, grease, cables, tires, bar tape.

Sweet!!!
Old 01-01-12, 10:17 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
What that Centurion NEEDS, is to be shipped to me ASAP!!! My size and looks to be in awesome condition! Nice find, and I am little jealous!,,,,BD
Old 01-01-12, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 31 Posts
It appears to be badly cross-chained - better send it here for repair Thrifty Bill!

Old 01-01-12, 10:30 AM
Thrifty Bill

Yeah, its cross chained to the max right now.
Old 01-01-12, 11:49 AM
Large Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
It's amazing.
Old 01-01-12, 07:55 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brandenjs
Just picked this up over the weekend at a Hospice Thrift store. It is a Madsen KG271. This is after cleaning it up. The tub was spray painted with graffiti and it still needs some more cleaning. Pretty high quality components. SRAM X-5 8 speed, Brooks B67 saddle and mechanical disc brakes on the front. I usually do not say what I pay for stuff, but I picked this up for $80. https://s225.photobucket.com/albums/d...adsen%20KG271/

Jealous!
Old 01-02-12, 08:22 PM

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Finally broke the dry spell (not counting the Trek 220 my mom found LOL)
Replied to a Ad for "Vintage Raleigh" and a second ad from same seller for a "Vintage Schwinn".

Get there and Its a young couple selling off finds/projects to buy a little newer better bike for the young lady. My feeling is they were a garage sale find from the same owner PO. Bundled them like Franks and Made a offer at a price I could make something on a clean up and flip if I dont fall in love with them.

The Schwinn is looking like a 83 Super sport. Looks complete. Paint actually looks good but the decals are absolutely done. Wear on the rings is not so bad. Look forward to getting this one done to ride it. Little smaller then I normally ride at 23" but I hope the top tube is close to 59-60 and that will be in my range wit ha stem swap.

The second one has me perplexed. It is a Raleigh Competition. Can just read the outline of the decal on the top tube. Has the 531 tag as well as the Carlton seat tube logo .Bike has miles and it has miles on replacement parts. Factory should have had a Hurret Jubilee its wearing 1972 Suntour V GT Derailleurs with Suntour bar ends. It also has Shimano hubs shod with Araya rims. Its been Franken biked but with good parts. Unfortunatly the decals are again toast and the paint on those old Raleigh's were not great to start with and this one has lots of miles.

Now here is where the weird begins.
SN is AXXXX and according to Sheldons Retro Raleigh site that makes it a 1966 build (67 model) BUT Sheldon site also says the first Competition was 68 and some sites say 72. I cant find a picture of a 67-71 Copetition with good searches (didn't spend a lot of time at it) It looks like the the 73 in this catalog that interestingly enough seems to be the first catalog to show the Competition with painted rear stays. So with the known issues with the dating I really don know what I have.
I find it sort of weird that all the replacement parts seem to date to about the year the bike looks. I wonder if it is really a 73 and the parts were swapped on at point of sale.

One will have to go for sure. Just not sure what one. Both have interesting aspects.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
SchwSS1.jpg (61.0 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg
RalComp1.jpg (66.8 KB, 540 views)
Old 01-02-12, 08:57 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by brandenjs
Just picked this up over the weekend at a Hospice Thrift store. It is a Madsen KG271. This is after cleaning it up. The tub was spray painted with graffiti and it still needs some more cleaning. Pretty high quality components. SRAM X-5 8 speed, Brooks B67 saddle and mechanical disc brakes on the front. I usually do not say what I pay for stuff, but I picked this up for $80. https://s225.photobucket.com/albums/d...adsen%20KG271/
Damn... see that these are on sale here now for $1100.00

Catch of the year mebbe.
Old 01-02-12, 09:26 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Grim
I find it sort of weird that all the replacement parts seem to date to about the year the bike looks. I wonder if it is really a 73 and the parts were swapped on at point of sale.
One will have to go for sure. Just not sure what one. Both have interesting aspects.
Hi Grim - I can't address the S/N question on the Competition but that DT decal puts it at 1973+. It's anybody's guess as to when the parts were swapped or why, but it's quite a snag regardless.
Old 01-02-12, 10:31 PM
Large Member

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Grim
Finally broke the dry spell (not counting the Trek 220 my mom found LOL)
Replied to a Ad for "Vintage Raleigh" and a second ad from same seller for a "Vintage Schwinn".

Get there and Its a young couple selling off finds/projects to buy a little newer better bike for the young lady. My feeling is they were a garage sale find from the same owner PO. Bundled them like Franks and Made a offer at a price I could make something on a clean up and flip if I dont fall in love with them.

The Schwinn is looking like a 83 Super sport. Looks complete. Paint actually looks good but the decals are absolutely done. Wear on the rings is not so bad. Look forward to getting this one done to ride it. Little smaller then I normally ride at 23" but I hope the top tube is close to 59-60 and that will be in my range wit ha stem swap.

The second one has me perplexed. It is a Raleigh Competition. Can just read the outline of the decal on the top tube. Has the 531 tag as well as the Carlton seat tube logo .Bike has miles and it has miles on replacement parts. Factory should have had a Hurret Jubilee its wearing 1972 Suntour V GT Derailleurs with Suntour bar ends. It also has Shimano hubs shod with Araya rims. Its been Franken biked but with good parts. Unfortunatly the decals are again toast and the paint on those old Raleigh's were not great to start with and this one has lots of miles.

Now here is where the weird begins.
SN is AXXXX and according to Sheldons Retro Raleigh site that makes it a 1966 build (67 model) BUT Sheldon site also says the first Competition was 68 and some sites say 72. I cant find a picture of a 67-71 Copetition with good searches (didn't spend a lot of time at it) It looks like the the 73 in this catalog that interestingly enough seems to be the first catalog to show the Competition with painted rear stays. So with the known issues with the dating I really don know what I have.

I'd take that Raleigh off your hand maybe.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.