Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-09, 07:13 PM
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,566 Times in 3,764 Posts
Nice Adirondack chairs you got there, too.
Old 04-28-09, 08:18 PM
Harsh Generation

Bikes: GMC Yukon XL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sweet finds. I'm diggin the foldie.
Old 04-28-09, 09:49 PM
Highway Litter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Murray Nassau

Another woman's 3 speed. Shimano "3S" rear hub with 24" rims

Who wants to see that seat a bit better?

I'm betting it came off an exercise bike , I just wish they had left the seat stem.

And how's this for a new way to route a brake cable (it really is this way)

Clean up for a kid or spare parts. I dunno yet.
Old 04-28-09, 10:18 PM
aka: Mike J.

Bikes: 1995 Trek 520 is the current primary bike.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 39 Posts
Detoured past a thrift shop today while running a work errand and came home with a Bridgestone 500. Waaaaaaaaaaay too tall for me, but looks to be original for the most part and in decent functional condition. Makes for an interesting comparison to the 400 model I have. I'm debating swapping a couple of components between the bikes before I do something with the 500. I'll post up a couple of pics in the morning. Both the 400 I already had and the too tall 500 are 12 speeds, components appear to match up with the 1984 online catalogs ( based on tired memory ). The 500 measures out to about a 63cm frame making it the 25" model. Nice condition older style yellow gold color thin bar tape.

One of the catalog scans on the SheldonBrown pages states that the 500 was a triathlon model. Uh, okay.

Also, the search function isn't playing too well for me tonight, can't find "bridgestone" with it. Oh well....
Old 04-29-09, 06:09 AM
WV is not flat..

Bikes: 1 away from divorce!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 431 Times in 174 Posts
Picked this up from a co-worker. It is an 86 PH501 Ventoux 50cm. It is a 501 Reynolds frame and fork with Sachs components. As far as I can tell that is the year anyway.It is going to need a total rebuilt, it has been sitting for a long time. The serial number is 4758432. It looks to not have been abused just set aside and forgotten for awhile.

Old 04-29-09, 07:07 AM
aka: Mike J.

Bikes: 1995 Trek 520 is the current primary bike.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 39 Posts
Here's the pics of the thrift shop 500 and of the 400 I got off the local CL a few months back.

I went ahead and peeled the yellow plastic/fabric bar tape off of the 500 and found some old Spenco slip-on tubular style sewn on sleeve type stuff (don't know how else to describe it).

And it looks like the previous 500 owner was having some sort of stem slipping issue because there is some gunky remains of some sort of tape or fabric down in the headtube and also stuck to the stem. I'll have to clean that out before I put the adjustable stem into the 500 that came off the 400. The parts swapping begins
Old 04-29-09, 07:19 AM
BEHOLD! THE MANTICORE!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
nice find! I haven't been coming across much of anything. I think it's time to start heading into Milwaukee for more dumpster diving, I usually have good luck with that.
Old 04-29-09, 07:21 AM
Steel Member

Bikes: N + 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like the Peugeot. I picked up a similar vintage (maybe '88...had all early 105 components) Peugeot recently with the same tubing...but not the slick chrome fork. Nice score! I may be wrong on this, but I believe these are from a period where you have english & "common" sizes/pitches for stems & BBs also...I know that's the case with my '84 Pug
Old 04-29-09, 09:23 AM

Bikes: Many. Ralieigh sports`s, Raleigh Superbe, sears Spaceliner, Firestone supercruisers, many vintage mountain bikes, random cruisers, and other unique bikes.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I picked all these guys up from curbs last night and one today, and found this poor small kids one all beat up, kids these days are dumb arses, what fun is it to beat the bike up? it was a new bicycle, they got it before christmas, ah well i'll fix it for my little brother. lol the one with the smaller front wheel was funny because when I found it there was no wheel, so I was lifting the front and pulling beside my bike, then as I was thinking about a front wheel there was two more bikes in the trash infront of me lol

Old 04-29-09, 09:27 AM
BEHOLD! THE MANTICORE!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
someone on here as looking for a BMX, and that hoffman is pretty nice. I think it might have been nlearner. Check the trade thread if you want to get rid of it
Old 04-29-09, 03:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
scored this sweet Schwinn super sport at a thrift store for 15 bucks. so psyched. full shimano 600 components and araya rims. a quick tear down lube and build and she is smoother than any bike 20 years her junior.

got this schwinn speedster? stingray? off of craigslist a few days ago for 25. never ridden a sturmy archer 3 speed before, but for something thats seen zero maintenance for god knows how long its a remarkably nice ride.
Old 04-29-09, 04:43 PM

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 126 Posts
Originally Posted by Nhaupt
got this schwinn speedster? stingray? off of craigslist a few days ago for 25. never ridden a sturmy archer 3 speed before, but for something thats seen zero maintenance for god knows how long its a remarkably nice ride.
Looks like a Dunelt to me.
Old 04-29-09, 05:34 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by treebound
Detoured past a thrift shop today while running a work errand and came home with a Bridgestone 500. Waaaaaaaaaaay too tall for me, but looks to be original for the most part and in decent functional condition. Makes for an interesting comparison to the 400 model I have. I'm debating swapping a couple of components between the bikes before I do something with the 500. I'll post up a couple of pics in the morning. Both the 400 I already had and the too tall 500 are 12 speeds, components appear to match up with the 1984 online catalogs ( based on tired memory ). The 500 measures out to about a 63cm frame making it the 25" model. Nice condition older style yellow gold color thin bar tape.

One of the catalog scans on the SheldonBrown pages states that the 500 was a triathlon model. Uh, okay.

Also, the search function isn't playing too well for me tonight, can't find "bridgestone" with it. Oh well....
sell me that bike!
Old 04-29-09, 05:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the 500, i mean. i had a 700 a few years ago and i had to sell it-- been kicking myself pretty hard ever since.
Old 04-29-09, 07:01 PM

Bikes: Many. Ralieigh sports`s, Raleigh Superbe, sears Spaceliner, Firestone supercruisers, many vintage mountain bikes, random cruisers, and other unique bikes.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
And yet two more where just saved lol, not sure what a Scott is but it rides nice and looks neat lol, then theres this hybrid and that little bike has new life!

Aint the best bikes but they will be used by people who need them lol
Old 04-29-09, 07:44 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Scott is still around, and making VERY popular aluminum/CF road bikes, and mtb's. That is one of the oldest I've ever seen. I have also never seen one with a derailleur claw. Insteresting.,,,,BD
Old 04-29-09, 08:21 PM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
It's also got a huge frame lol, it rides and runs like it was some high class bike, but it looks lowend lol
Old 04-29-09, 08:33 PM
www.onecycles.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HSean
It's also got a huge frame lol, it rides and runs like it was some high class bike, but it looks lowend lol
Someone wants to ride it around town with flourescent framed sunglasses and tight pastel colored jeans!
Old 04-30-09, 07:47 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hmm, i think your right about it being a dunelt cycleheimer. it has some stickers on it that i swore said stingray, but they are so worn out i cant read them clearly, ill post some more detailed pics when i get home. anyone have a good site for info on these bikes?
Old 04-30-09, 08:12 AM
Highway Litter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll bet that cross-fit will clean up pretty!
Old 04-30-09, 11:57 AM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I'm dissapointed in the Cross fit, Metal breaks covered in plastic? whats with that? I got something special for it, and alots of other things.
Old 04-30-09, 12:51 PM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
...These crank arms have plastic covering them, Did these companys sink this low?, it's a nice light bike though, and when it's finished it will look great!
Old 04-30-09, 01:06 PM
old clunker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
$ 7 at a police auction. Mid 80's chro/mo US made Ross Mt St Helen's. 25 inch frame fits me.

I've replaced wheels and tires, rear gears, front derailleur, pads, seat. Mostly replaced with discarded gear.

Old 04-30-09, 04:04 PM

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 126 Posts
Originally Posted by Nhaupt
hmm, i think your right about it being a dunelt cycleheimer. it has some stickers on it that i swore said stingray, but they are so worn out i cant read them clearly, ill post some more detailed pics when i get home. anyone have a good site for info on these bikes?
From Wikipedia...Dunelt Motorcycles was a British motorcycle manufacturer. Based in Sheffield, the business was founded by two steel makers and engineers, Dunford and Elliott (Dunelt is a combination of their names)[1] of Sheffield in 1919. They came out with a moped in 1956. From Sheldon Brown... "Dunelt was a second rank brand. Many Dunelts feature a fork similar to the Raleigh dimpled fork, only with a flattened top." IMHO...Dunelts are a standard English 3-speed...beyond Raleigh, usually just slight shades of difference between the different headbadges. For $25 you did quite well. Keep your eye out for a Brooks leather saddle.
Old 04-30-09, 08:28 PM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Figured i'd show the Cross fit as it stands now, needs some more work like a new front rim and more stuff but it looks nice now. ps: this bike has the crappyest components i've ever seen, I fixed that, then smashed them with a hammer so they never hurt another bike again!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.