Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

It really hurts to see someone hurting

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

It really hurts to see someone hurting

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-08, 02:06 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Kerlenbach
Recognize that we older folks will not heal like the 20-somethings in the MTB forum, and avoid silliness like mountain biking.
Did you really have to ruin an otherwise intelligent post by throwing this in there?
Old 12-04-08, 09:20 PM

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot U08, unknown MTB circa 1980, '93? Merckx MX-Leader

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jppe,

Your ability on the bike and your articulate posts have been great to read over the years. I am sorry about your friend, but glad he has you for one. Like others have said, just be there.

My other advice? Ride. . . . And tell him about your rides.

I have ridden and raced motorcycles since I was 17. Seriously riding bicycles for about as long. I have lost a few friends along the way. All of us have gone down. As I write this, I have a broken shoulder from a triathlon bike accident 8 weeks ago. I'm getting back on the bike as soon as the doctor says go.

I do this NOT because I am macho or simply love the bike so much. Rather, it is a celebration of living that I refuse to stop. I have never been too impressed when guys have said, 'So and So' would still want us to ride/race even though he has died tragically." The fact is that 'So and So' doesn't really care in the end. It is about those of us who are still healthy and alive and able to turn a crank. Do it for yourself. Some of the carefree joy of riding might be gone forever, but after a few rides, the technique of "repression" will soon appear and off you go. Maybe never quite the same way, but it will be good nonetheless. If not, sell the bikes and don't look back.

Godspeed to you and your friend.

TysonB
Cushing, Oklahoma
Old 12-04-08, 09:29 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
Thanks for sharing. Hearing about cyclists being killed or seriously injured always dampens my enthusiasm for my favorite sport.
It's sad to hear about someone who has gotten hurt. I empathize with jppe's friend.

It's the danger we all face. News like that doesn't dampen my enthusiasm, but it does remind me to be careful.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 12-04-08, 09:31 PM

Bikes: Primary ride now a LOOK 585-Love it.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 40 Posts
Please let your friend know that others are praying for him, his family and his doctors.

Risk vs return...we all have to make that decision. I sold my motorcycle last year but remain on my road bike. Do what you can to reduce the risks and then enjoy the ride...if that is your choice.

Jppe, you sound like a good friend. Hang in there and keep us posted. In fact, post his hospital address if you care to and maybe we could send him some cards?

Steve
Old 12-04-08, 09:47 PM
Recovering mentalist

Bikes: Too many

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Friends and family are the most important part of healing. They, and the dream of getting back on the bike pulled me through two battles with "the crab".

The dangers of our sport are well known and the most unerving are those posed by automobiles and their often incompetent operators.

I was considering posting this news on the commuter thread, but haven't been able to put it together. Tuesday morning I got a call telling me that a rider had been seriously injured at an intersection. The caller told me they had passed by just after the incident. The ambulance was just pulling away and there was a helmet and much blood at the scene. I later found out that another aquaintance was first on the scene.

The rider was young --21 -- and had sustained serious head injuries, in spite of the helmet.

Police are now looking for a white pickup that left the scene and who, witnesses say, crossed two lanes to turn right, cutting off the cyclist, who swerved to avoid contact and was mowed down by an oncoming (?) car.

There was much discussion among our Wednesday group as the morning newspaper reported the young cyclist in critical condition.

Last week, (as I noted here) a white pickup did the same to me and I barely escaped being pulled under its rear wheel. The driver seemed completely unaware of my presence, even as I hammered on his rear fender. Hmmmm! Do we have a rogue pickup driver in our midst?

Last edited by Randochap; 12-04-08 at 09:53 PM.