Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Crashed the bike-upgrade time?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-08, 07:11 PM
clueless

Bikes: 08 Specialized Hardrock Comp Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, I finally did it today-I crashed my 3 month old Hardrock (08) hard enough to break a bunch of stuff. I assume that Specialized's warranty will not cover the damage, so I'm thinking about upgrading some of the parts I will be replacing...open to suggestions

Here's the damage list:
-shattered factory pedal (will be replaced by SPDs anyway)
-Bent right-side crank arm
-bent large chainring
-bent rear derailleur hanger (rear derailleur is fine )
-seriously tweaked rear wheel (fixable)
-possibly bent front derailleur
-front tube blown
-cheapo Bell bike computer's cable snapped

I'm thinking about upgrading the crank arms, it currently has the factory SR Suntour arms on it. I'm having a hard time finding any info on reasonably priced (Deore LX, SLX, etc) upgrades that will fit it, same for the large chainring. Any ideas?

Also, are derailleur hangers all alike as far as quality?
Old 12-05-08, 08:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well if you replace the crankset it will come with rings, as far as crankset any crankset with a 68mm bb shell will fit (if you are gonna go lx or slx u might as well go external bb idk what ur bike has stock) if the stock bb is isis or octalink you could get one to match to that

derail hangers are usually made by company that makes the bike, so just go to a specialized dealer and pick one up, also if you didn't bend it too bad the shop may be able to bend it back (they have an alignment tool) some companies use softer hangers that bend too easy and some use hangers that are really stiff and thick and they tend to snap easier and are more likely to snap if you bend it back, but they tend to survive a tad better in fall. Its basically glass half empty or half full
Old 12-05-08, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
if you buy almost any modern mtb crankset with external BB, you'll get the BB with the crankset. You'll need the proper tool to install the external bearing cups (all the common brands use a universal design. I have the park one, and it's been a good tool) plus you'll need a tool to remove the old BB. I wouldn't waste time on an "upgrade" that's using square taper or octalink/isis. FWIW, most of 'em will say they fit 68mm/73mm BB shells. You've got a 68mm, which is good news because you'll be using spacers to fine-tune your chainline. You can get raceface evolves really cheap, but the BB's tend to be garbage. Lucky thing is, the shimano external BBs fit the RF cranks. You can also get phil or king cups down the line if you enjoy spendiing money. Truvativ makes cranks for you. While they use the same install tool, the crank's spindle will not fit shimano BB's and other shimano-compat BBs. I personally didn't much like my truvativ external-bearing crank, because the bolt is on the non-drive side, and it will work itself out if you don't pay attention to it, which will allow the crankarm to work itself off, and dirt will foul the bearings. The RF puts the bolt on the driveside, which doesn't self-loosen like the leftside will. Shimano puts the fasteners on the left side, but it uses a wierd plastic jimpson and pinch bolts. I have a shimano LX crank from the first year that shimano LX went external, and they've been awesome. A $40 BB does the trick when the bearings get sloppy, and you can get some decent time out of the bearings depending on how you ride. Still, I grabbed a raceface evolve because it was ungodly cheap, and I'll just put some XT cups in when the RF bearings are shot. A friend has been riding the same evolve cranks forever with no real problems. His BB has even held up all season.

HTH. sorry for the long and rambling post.
-rob

oh, the other stuff:
-the hanger and tube is easily replaced. The FD may be repairable. If not, get whatever suits your budget and fits. FDs don't work as hard as RDs.
-Um, get a new cable for the computer, or maybe don't have a computer, if you're short on cash.
-all the rings/crankarms will come with the crankset. I'm surprised your chain wasn't damaged.
-start saving for a new wheelset.
Old 12-06-08, 04:59 PM
clueless

Bikes: 08 Specialized Hardrock Comp Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, everything has been fixed or is scheduled to be except for the crankset, which will have to wait until xmas. My LBS mechanic was very surprised to see that my right crank was bent, it seems that's kinda unusual