Search
Notices
Alt Bike Culture Chopped, dropped, stretched, lifted, and otherwise cut up and put back together. The art and science of choppers, cruisers, lowriders and the vast world of mutant bicycles.

First Coat?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-08, 02:33 PM

Bikes: 1983 Schwinn Paramount, 2006 Cannondale Six13 Pro, 1987 Schwinn Voyageur 1986 Fuji Regis, SSR Fixed Gear

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First Coat?

Quick question, just finished sanding a bike, what should be the first coat? clear coat rust protective? or a water proof primer? (im using rattle cans) thanks!
Old 12-08-08, 03:20 PM
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Have you actually put the color on?

Clear coat is to protect the paint, primer to allow adhesion by coating the metal/carbon/etc.

I've given that up to those that know more and it's too cold in Oregon.

Spray paint digs 50-80F with maybe some tolerance around 45F. If you are in an enclosed room without ventilation and using space heaters, STOP

Wait till it's warm and you have better info. The volatile gases and particles and your heater will acquaint you with Hendrix possibly and in a bad way as in (Let Me Stand Next To Your) Fire. Did that, it didn't get nuts but it was dumb and cost me a new heater.

Paint shops have all that safety equipment for a reason. Cali also says you could become a mutant on toluene/such exposure (get proper masks, like the Japanese are always wearing in those pictures ecology cats like to show you or better).

Last edited by Rollfast; 12-08-08 at 03:48 PM.
Old 12-08-08, 08:03 PM

Bikes: 1983 Schwinn Paramount, 2006 Cannondale Six13 Pro, 1987 Schwinn Voyageur 1986 Fuji Regis, SSR Fixed Gear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
no paint yet, still thinking of color schemes. i'm still at university, so i have access to the art building with painting booths, with kick ass ventalation, and i think even an airbrush. i'm going to run to lowes and pick up some white primer i think, and gold to finish it off. it is a fixed with red V rims, thinking it will turn out pretty kicking.
Old 12-08-08, 08:34 PM
gentry

Bikes: Not enough space here.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sand then primer then paint then clear.
wet sand between each.
let the final coat dry for at least 3-4 days before you assemble.
also make sure the primer and paint and clear are the same brands.
expensive brands seem to work the best.
many lighter coats are better than less thick coats.
after each spray, flip the can and spray a few secs to clear the nozzle-spatter is sux.

just my 2 cents.
Old 12-08-08, 08:43 PM
gentry

Bikes: Not enough space here.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oh, also use a "tack cloth" (you can get them from lowes) after each sand. they're sticky cloths that get the sanded paint off the frame, before the next layer.
Old 12-08-08, 11:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
great, thanks for the help. making the trip to lowes tomorrow!
Old 12-09-08, 12:07 PM
:)

Bikes: '07 Pista, '09 Fantom Cross Uno, '8? Miyata, '67 Stingray, '0? Zoo mod trials, Tallbike, Chopper, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '67 Triumph Chopper, '69 CB350, '58 BSA Spitfire, '73 CB450

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
never, I repeat never ever - ever wipe down after wet sanding with a shop towel that you used for buffing wax.

I forgot that the towel that I grabbed had been used to clean up a little auto wax and ended up ruining the paint on my motorcycle. Had to sand back down, clean and do-over. Unless you like the fisheye look....