Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Cannondale F300 MTB...Ready for Disc Brake Kit?

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 12-10-08, 08:42 AM
triathlete? roadie? MTB?

Bikes: Cannondale Slice One tri bike, Cannondale F300 Hardtail MTB, Bianchi Giro roadie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a Cannondale F300 that I use for weekend trail riding and some downhill and XC, as part of my training, to break up the occasional road bike monotony. It already has some upgraded parts on it, and the frame is a good frame. Backcountry.coom is selling this hydraulic disc brake kit for the front only.

The Cannondale archive website says they are disc brake compatible, so I think I am good there; is this a decent disc brake set, and is there a problem with running hydraulic disc fronts, and regular rim brakes on the rear? Anything else I should be concerned about before buying this and trying to install it?
Old 12-10-08, 12:00 PM
I have senior moments...

Bikes: Many

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You realize that's not just a brake lever, but the front shifter as well? If your fork has disc tabs and you have disc mounts on your hub you could do it...not sure why, but you could. Some people do run discs up front and rim brakes in rear, some like it some don't...
Old 12-10-08, 01:59 PM
triathlete? roadie? MTB?

Bikes: Cannondale Slice One tri bike, Cannondale F300 Hardtail MTB, Bianchi Giro roadie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikinfool
You realize that's not just a brake lever, but the front shifter as well? If your fork has disc tabs and you have disc mounts on your hub you could do it...not sure why, but you could. Some people do run discs up front and rim brakes in rear, some like it some don't...

Well, sure I realize it's the whole shift assembly, I can just remove my old shifter and connect the cable to the new one (I would think)....funny thing, I can rebuild an engine, but when it comes to bike mechanical issues, I feel less than confident.
Old 12-10-08, 08:00 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by caelric
is there a problem with running hydraulic disc fronts, and regular rim brakes on the rear?
No
Old 12-10-08, 08:05 PM
****** (can I say this?)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^^
It does feel odd, but there is nothing wrong with it. I'm doing mechs out back with hydros up front right now.