Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Miyata 750 SR??

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-08, 02:45 PM
Stoned Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Miyata 750 SR??

Hi, I recently picked up a Miyata 750 SR for 20 bucks,it is in pretty good condition.Can any one give me info on this bike, I didn't find much by searching, it has 1024 tubing, Shimano/Custom components Araya 700c wheels. I really want to know the exact year, possible value of the bike and how descent this bike is or any other info you have to throw at me.I will have a picture up possibly later today, if i can get my digital camera to work.

Thank You
Brian
Old 12-11-08, 03:01 PM
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Originally Posted by bja86
Hi, I recently picked up a Miyata 750 SR for 20 bucks,it is in pretty good condition.Can any one give me info on this bike, I didn't find much by searching, it has 1024 tubing, Shimano/Custom components Araya 700c wheels. I really want to know the exact year, possible value of the bike and how descent this bike is or any other info you have to throw at me.I will have a picture up possibly later today, if i can get my digital camera to work.

Thank You
Brian
Sounds like a basic entry level bicycle. Can't tell you the date without much more info or picture. I doubt it's worth a lot.
Old 12-11-08, 03:11 PM
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
+1 Post pictures and serial number.

If you want the year, just look up the component codes on the vintage Trek site.

As long as the rims are aluminum, even a bottom end bike in good shape should be worth $100. So your $20 was a sweet deal. 1024 tubing = high tensile steel, which is the very bottom end.

But again, you can't go wrong for $20.
Old 12-11-08, 05:05 PM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
The 750SR was a special edition bike given to the top Miyata dealers in the country. It wasnt available to any other dealers and its not listed in any catalogs.

They were available in gold or a light to medium blue. Miyata had 3 tiers of dealers, gold, silver and bronze. I dont remember the exact breakdown but there may have been only 5 dealers in each category.

I dont recall if it was the top 5 dealers in the country or the top 5 in each tier who recieved bikes but each dealer was alloted 75. Regardless, I unloaded 75 of those from the back of truck one hot summer day.

Frame geometry was more like that of a 3 series bike versus that of an entry level 1 series. Think of it as bike with 1 series tubing and 3 series geometry and components.

For some odd reason $300 comes to mind and maybe '86 or '87 for a date.

Jim
Old 12-13-08, 12:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
I sold them in 1984 or there abouts, definitely not as late as 1986-87. We were told that they were overstock originally destined for a European market that didn't take them off of Miyata's hands. In fact some of them were labeled Koga-Miyata. We received and sold a few hundred. They were more racing in design than the bikes meant for the North American market. The wheels were very good and the frame somewhat more mundane.
Old 12-13-08, 06:44 AM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Citoyen du Monde
I sold them in 1984 or there abouts, definitely not as late as 1986-87 They were more racing in design than the bikes meant for the North American market. The wheels were very good and the frame somewhat more mundane.
Sounds about right.....I started working in our shop in the spring of '84 so I know it was sometime after that.