Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuter Bicycle Pics

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Commuter Bicycle Pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-08, 12:01 AM
Pwnerer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Be careful. With that much seatpost exposed, you risk snapping off the top of the seat tube. I'd also be concerned about the reach to the bars on such a small frame.

I'm a tall guy, but I have long legs in proportion to my torso and also run a size smaller, exposing more seatpost than "normal". Nothing like yours though. Are you perhaps a female? If so, you may find a better fit in a women's specific design.
Old 03-07-08, 09:31 AM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wordbiker
Be careful. With that much seatpost exposed, you risk snapping off the top of the seat tube. I'd also be concerned about the reach to the bars on such a small frame.

I'm a tall guy, but I have long legs in proportion to my torso and also run a size smaller, exposing more seatpost than "normal". Nothing like yours though. Are you perhaps a female? If so, you may find a better fit in a women's specific design.
It's not so bad... the seat's a little high right now but give or take an inch or so depending on my footwear, but I've never felt the seat post was wobbly or anything. I'm 5'3" (and yes i'm a girl) so for the most part, it's pretty comfortable. I can lean in or sit up right and reach the bars comfortably. I wish I can go faster sometimes, but my trip to work, short as it is, isn't always clean asphalt.

There are a few bikes in my budget ($300-600 CAD) that I've been looking at if I decide to get a decent commuter. I know a little bit more about what I need now, so I'll be looking for those features and qualities.
Old 03-07-08, 09:42 AM
Pwnerer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Bdaisies
It's not so bad... the seat's a little high right now but give or take an inch or so depending on my footwear, but I've never felt the seat post was wobbly or anything. I'm 5'3" (and yes i'm a girl) so for the most part, it's pretty comfortable. I can lean in or sit up right and reach the bars comfortably. I wish I can go faster sometimes, but my trip to work, short as it is, isn't always clean asphalt.

There are a few bikes in my budget ($300-600 CAD) that I've been looking at if I decide to get a decent commuter. I know a little bit more about what I need now, so I'll be looking for those features and qualities.
While wobbly isn't good, I was more concerned with having enough seatpost left in the frame. The post should be long enough to extend down past the bottom of the top tube, otherwise it could break the frame. Look for a minimum insertion marking on the post.

The reason I mentioned women's specific design is that type of frame works on the assumption (often wrong) that the majority of women have longer legs in proportion to torso than men. These frames have a shorter top tube and would fit much like you have made yours fit, but with less exposed seatpost and better centering over the wheels. By default, all bicycles are a men's design using standards that are smack dab in the middle of the range of sizes people come in...in theory. It's a bit silly as sometimes guys like me could benefit from a shorter top tube design...but I don't like pink.
Old 03-07-08, 09:47 AM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah I see what you mean. I never noticed any insertion marks like that. I dropped it an inch this morning... any lower would be uncomfortable, so there should be enough post in the frame to keep it steady. It seems like such a logical observation, I wonder why I never thought about it.
Old 03-07-08, 10:15 AM
Pwnerer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
No problem Bdaisies.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time about it, just trying to save you the anguish of breaking a frame!

I suppose you could say that I am trained to see things like that. At the shop I fit people to bikes all the time, and have had to recommend a longer seatpost, or even a different size of frame. It happens most often with bikes purchased at a "great deal" that just don't fit the rider. Buying the wrong size frame is such a shame as a bike that fits is so much more comfortable and leads to the rider riding more often and for longer distances with less pain.
Old 03-07-08, 10:31 AM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's why i'm here! To learn.
Old 03-07-08, 12:09 PM
beatz down lo|seatz up hi

Bikes: A 2007 Trek 4300. 22.5", 1981 Trek 610 24" (61cm)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bdaisies when you get your new ride you should turn that one into a trials bike! (That's just what the geometry reminds me of).

Looks good, just make sure it fits. I used to ride an 18" before I discovered that bikes had sizes other than wheel size and I had terrible back pain and couldn't go more than 10mph sitting. (I'm 6'6" btw).
So proper sizing makes a big difference in comfort and performance.
Old 03-08-08, 03:39 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jostan1
sweet 7.3.
I bought a 7.5 a few months ago, and love it so far. what rack is that? mine seems too short, and angles towards the seat post
I think it's a Topeak Explorer
Old 03-09-08, 07:59 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sf1901
This is my 1995 Trek 900 converted into an electric bike.
He, he... like "camping" in an RV
Old 03-09-08, 11:43 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My new commuter is a Schwinn coffee. I will use this bike on my 6 mi R/T commute. It replaces a Trek 800 Sport mountain bike.

The bike has the features that I want, but the parts are kinda cheap, but I will upgrade bits as they break/wear out.

I will post a more detailed review after a few weeks of riding it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Coffee.jpg (51.6 KB, 287 views)
Old 03-09-08, 12:38 PM
Hydration is important

Bikes: Trek 1500, Schwinn SS conversion, Surly KM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cross-post from my snowy bike thread. This is my Karate Monkey Commuter specs are:

Large Karate Monkey Frame
Scwalbe Big Apple 2.0 Tires (not pictured - These are Nokian studded tires)
Cascadia 29er fenders
Brooks B-17
1x9 gearing (34T salsa chainring & salsa bashguard and 11-34 cassette)
SRAM X-9 Shifter and derailleur
Avid BB-7 disc Brakes

Old 03-09-08, 04:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I commute everyday 20km to go and 20km to come with this bicycle (a Caloi "Barra forte", which means "strong tube"):

(these photos are from a voyage 190km through coast, don´t from my commute route, which is very urban).

Last edited by joaos; 03-09-08 at 05:21 PM.
Old 03-09-08, 05:30 PM
circus bear

Bikes: 97(?) GT Richochet, 00 Schwinn SuperSport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joaos
I commute everyday 20km to go and 20km to come with this bicycle (a Caloi "Barra forte", which means "strong tube"):

Nice looking! Reminds me of my Schwinn...kinda.

I really dig that circle in the middle of the frame. That sucker must weigh as much as an old Schwinn!
Old 03-09-08, 06:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ban guzzi
Nice looking! Reminds me of my Schwinn...kinda.

I really dig that circle in the middle of the frame. That sucker must weigh as much as an old Schwinn!
It weigh 19.3 kg. The circle is supposed to make it "forte" ("strong"), to last many years. It´s the most common bicycle in Brazil, mainly in small cities.

Last edited by joaos; 03-09-08 at 06:23 PM.
Old 03-10-08, 01:11 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just got my new bike yesterday.

Set it up for commuting today.

Randy
Old 03-10-08, 12:57 PM
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bdaisies
Kona makes one or two that fit your price range. The Smoke 29er is around $370 CAD and comes w/ fenders. You should be able to find them in most LBS' since they're a Canadian company. There's several other companies that'd fit your budget like Schwinn, etc. so shop around.

abbynemmy: that bike looks fast.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!

Last edited by jyossarian; 03-10-08 at 01:04 PM.
Old 03-10-08, 01:40 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jyossarian
Kona makes one or two that fit your price range. The Smoke 29er is around $370 CAD and comes w/ fenders. You should be able to find them in most LBS' since they're a Canadian company. There's several other companies that'd fit your budget like Schwinn, etc. so shop around.

abbynemmy: that bike looks fast.
Yep, there's 3 bike shops in my immediate vicinity and my favourite one to go to has a lot of Konas in stock. I was in there the other day imagining myself on the Dews.

Here's where I debate to myself whether I need a new bike or not: https://bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=395436

Also the more I think about it, the more longer leisure day trips are beginning to be appealing to me so I'm really thinking of either getting a bike to do that and commute or gearing my mtb up for it.
Old 03-10-08, 04:58 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,797 Times in 1,408 Posts
Hi. First-timer in this forum. But any excuse to show my new bike . It will be used as a commuter for my new job, only 13 miles round trip. More pictures can be seen here, https://www.wooljersey.com/gallery/v/...pado+Commuter/

Old 03-10-08, 05:33 PM
Linux HA Author :-)

Bikes: '91 Trek 1100, '98 Mongoose RX100, '06 Giant TCR Composite 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today was a good day to commute (at least it was for me, I hope others too). Here's my Truk 1100 (Trek ):

And here it is with the trailer:

Sorry about the size and the glare, I'm not so good with the camera (it's a phone).
Old 03-11-08, 06:05 AM
Thread Killer

Bikes: Fuji Touring Xtracycle, Merlin Road, Bacchetta Giro 26 (Sold), Challenge Hurricane, Cruzbike Sofrider

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pics of my Giro 26 during it's first cruise around with my wife yesterday. Today I braved the super dense fog with it for my commute to work with it. Only have 80 miles on it so far but already have no problems starting/stopping/turning even on hills. It is definately high though I'm 6'3" and I can't flat foot it at stops while reclined or I feel like my hamstring is going to snap.

Old 03-11-08, 07:01 AM
circus bear

Bikes: 97(?) GT Richochet, 00 Schwinn SuperSport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
Hi. First-timer in this forum. But any excuse to show my new bike . It will be used as a commuter for my new job, only 13 miles round trip. More pictures can be seen here, https://www.wooljersey.com/gallery/v/...pado+Commuter/

Wow! I'd commute in plus twos, a vest and tie just because I was on this bike!

Very nice!
Old 03-11-08, 04:40 PM

Bikes: bike got stolen, building a new one

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Versa2nr

Oh and fenders are on their way so then the whole setup will be complete. May be getting some barends if I can find some I like. Been looking at the cane creek ergo ends that come on a few of the treks
Nice! I have a Specialized P2 (free from a buddy) and I've been trying to figure out if I can fit a rack and fenders on it. I'm a noob at these things, so I either have to go to my LBS and pay for someone else to tell me these things or learn to do it myself, which is preferable. This was helpful because I haven't seen a lot online about retrofitting a Specialized to become a commuter. It gives me hope. Thanks!
Old 03-11-08, 05:20 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
My 1987 Kuwahara Cascade fixed gear mtb, now with drop bars.

Last edited by Sixty Fiver; 03-12-08 at 12:39 AM.
Old 03-11-08, 07:04 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,797 Times in 1,408 Posts
Originally Posted by ban guzzi
Wow! I'd commute in plus twos, a vest and tie just because I was on this bike!

Very nice!
Thank you! But what is a "plus twos" ?
Old 03-11-08, 10:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My commuter bike for about a year now.

To steal it, you'd have to go into my office, walk past the security guard I say hi to every morning, take the elevator to the 20 something floor, defeat the electronic lock to the floor, find my desk, grab my bike from under my desk, and walk out without any of my coworkers seeing you. Then figure out how to unfold it when you get outside. =)

Last edited by Jabberwockt; 03-12-08 at 12:43 AM. Reason: add more

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.