Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Specialized Roubaix - Anyone have one?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-08, 02:41 PM
Support JDRF

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Specialized Roubaix Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

I am getting very close to getting a new bike. I currently have a Sirrus. I like it but think I would like a road bike better. I am really liking the Roubaix. I am looking at the Triple. Does anyone have any advice, opinions... about the Roubaix?

I also cannot decide whether to keep the Sirrus for commuting or get a MTB for my 10 mile commute and have for the occasional MTB ride.
Old 12-16-08, 02:52 PM
unwilling rashtafarian

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been looking at a new road bike also- I tried the Trek 1.2 and 1.5 also the two levels of Specialized Sequoia and the lower two Roubaix. Of the ones I tested the Roubaix seemed the fastest and also the most responsive, but was out of my range unless they could work a pretty good deal. I also tested the Allez and it was very uncomfortable. I actually am looking at buying a Sirrus in the near future, maybe the Expert, I think I just like the flat bar for the type of riding I am doing. How do you like the Sirrus?
Old 12-16-08, 02:53 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I have ridden a Roubaix (Roo-bay) recently and they are really, really nice bikes, no question. They are usually mentioned positively in the threads I have read too. I believe there is no longer a bottom-of-the line non-carbon Roubaix. Try doing a search and see what you come up with.
Old 12-16-08, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do not have the Roubaix, but was very close to buying the S-Works Roubaix SL2 Dura-Ace. Reality set in and I am sticking with my Allez. I would avoid the triple unless you ride a lot of hills and don't have the endurance/strength and need it.
Old 12-16-08, 03:25 PM
370H-SSV-0773H

Bikes: Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my 70-year-old riding buddy bought one and now has nearly 7,000 miles on it - he loves it!

the only problem he had was breaking spokes on the crap wheelset (don't remember the name) - after the fifth broken spoke (three front, two in the back), i gave him a set of Mavic Equipes and there have been no problems for the last 6,000 miles...
Old 12-16-08, 05:53 PM
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix - 2008, Trek 7600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Roubaix but its my first real road bike so I can't really offer a comparison. The Roubaix looks like it will have more of lean than the upright Sirrus. It may take a little getting used to. The only problem I've had with my Roubaix is a squeaky seat post. Otherwise its been great.

Originally Posted by b_young
I am getting very close to getting a new bike. I currently have a Sirrus. I like it but think I would like a road bike better. I am really liking the Roubaix. I am looking at the Triple. Does anyone have any advice, opinions... about the Roubaix?

I also cannot decide whether to keep the Sirrus for commuting or get a MTB for my 10 mile commute and have for the occasional MTB ride.
Old 12-16-08, 06:37 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
I've owned one for 13 months now and I love the bike. I put a different saddle on it and Open Pro wheels. If you buy one I would work out a deal to upgrade the wheels. As far as the saddle goes you just have to keep looking for the one that works for you. The next day after getting the bike, I rode 50 miles and it was very comfortable. I bought the bike at the age of 68 and I wanted something comfortable and for long distance. I believe I picked the right bike. Anyway good luck, with your search.
Old 12-16-08, 08:17 PM
Old Fart

Bikes: 09 Specialized Sirrus Expert; 09 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by b_young

I have a 09 Specialized Sirrus Expert and have on order a 09 Specialized Roubaix Expert-triple. I have tried several bikes but I keep coming back to the Specialized. Since I am more of the long distance/comfort vs competitive racing I think the Roubaix has the better geometry.
Old 12-16-08, 08:25 PM
Old Fart

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gapwedge
I have a 09 Specialized Sirrus Expert and have on order a 09 Specialized Roubaix Expert-triple. I have tried several bikes but I keep coming back to the Specialized. Since I am more of the long distance/comfort vs competitive racing I think the Roubaix has the better geometry.

Just sent you an email.
Old 12-16-08, 09:08 PM

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I test-rode several models of Roubaix when I was trying to decide which new bike to buy. Actually wanted to buy the Pro frameset, but they were back-ordered for months! In any event, they're a fantastic bike. I loved the Expert, but the Elite is probably 95% as good for quite a bit less money. Really loved the ride of the Roubaix; the frame soaked up most of the road "noise" but was still very responsive. Both bikes felt light and accelerated quickly, the the Expert had a clear edge in this area. The only thing I didn't like was the curved top tube; didn't like the look of a bare cable dangling in space and wasn't sure how I'd manage to attach my frame pump.

If I were you, I'd play with the gearing calculator over on Sheldon Brown's website before deciding on a triple. In terms of the available gears, there's actually very little difference between a standard road triple and a compact double. I'd been riding an Ultegra SL triple, but went with a SRAM Red compact double on my new bike. The compact double shifts better than the triple and I haven't found any rides that I can't get through using the compact double...

If you like the Specialized Roubaix, you might also take a look at the Felt Z-series road bikes. I test-rode the Z25 and Z35 when I was looking. They feel a bit heavier than the Roubaix and don't accelerate as quickly, but have one of the plushest rides I've ever experienced. Locally, they seem to sell for a bit less than equivalent Specialized models.
Old 12-16-08, 10:25 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i am also looking at getting a roubaix here really soon. b young i will be riding for jdrf st louis chapter, where you thinking about riding at this year?
Old 12-17-08, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by George
I've owned one for 13 months now and I love the bike. I put a different saddle on it and Open Pro wheels. If you buy one I would work out a deal to upgrade the wheels. As far as the saddle goes you just have to keep looking for the one that works for you. The next day after getting the bike, I rode 50 miles and it was very comfortable. I bought the bike at the age of 68 and I wanted something comfortable and for long distance. I believe I picked the right bike. Anyway good luck, with your search.
I forgot to say, I have the Elite Triple and am I glad. Here in Texas, I don't need it, but when I went to the mountains it sure came in handy.
Old 12-17-08, 10:47 AM
Old Fart

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad to hear the positive reviews on the Roubaix. I thought about the compact double, but with my weight right now I thought I might need all of the help I can get. But so far I have not used the smaller 3rd on my hybrid, so maybe a double compact would be ok.
Old 12-17-08, 11:04 AM

Bikes: 2015 Giant Advanced Pro 2,Trek 1500, a GT Avalanche and a Mongoose IBOC Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also cannot decide whether to keep the Sirrus for commuting or get a MTB for my 10 mile commute and have for the occasional MTB ride.[/QUOTE]

Since you can never sell anything for what you paid for it, keep the Sirrus and save up for a MTB! I havent heard anything bad about the Roobay, so gopher it!
Old 12-17-08, 11:44 AM

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate 2006, Litespeed Pisgah , Specialized Roubaix 2008, Trek Madone 2011

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 6'6" and 230lbs and I bought a Roubaix Expert 64cm last year and put 9,000km on it. It is the most comfortable bike I have ever ridden for long distance riding and I have a ti and a steel frame to compare against.

I wanted a triple also, but when you work out the gear inches using a 50-34 compact and a 12-27 cassette the gear inches are very close to those of a triple with a 12-25 cassette. The cpompact is ok.

I had to get a better set of wheels for my weight and I bought a set of American Classic Hurricanes 32 spoke as I have used these on other bikes and they are light but very strong.
Old 12-17-08, 12:12 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I own a both a Roubaix triple and a Sirrus. Have been riding from the time I weighed in at 380 down to 280 lbs(6'1"), both bikes have served me well as they are very comfortable for my 50 mile rides. I live in south Florida and use the small ring on triple quite a bit climbing some of the bridges we have here , you'll be happier with the triple.
Since getting the Roubaix I now use the Sirrus for commuting and just riding around. Keep both if you can, its better to lock up a Sirrus outside while at the supermarket/gym then the Roubaix. I did get a mountain bike for when I have my kick some dirt mood's.
Like posted above, change the wheels I had Mavic open pro's and went with Kyserium's elites. The originals were always needing to be trued.

Last edited by speedxl; 12-17-08 at 12:20 PM.
Old 12-17-08, 01:40 PM

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gapwedge
Glad to hear the positive reviews on the Roubaix. I thought about the compact double, but with my weight right now I thought I might need all of the help I can get. But so far I have not used the smaller 3rd on my hybrid, so maybe a double compact would be ok.
If you look at the available gears, there is really very little difference between a road triple (50/39/30) and a compact double (50/34) when using a 12-27 cassette. The easiest gear on the triple (30-27) is 29.3 gear inches while the second-easiest gear is 33.0 gear inches. With the compact double, your easiest gear (34-27) is 33.2 gear inches.

Bottom line: you're probably not going to notice a whole lot of difference between the gearing of a standard road-going triple crank and a compact double in most situations. I certainly didn't notice any change when I went from a triple to a compact double...
Old 12-17-08, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the sirrus is a commuter, not a long distance bike.

i'm saving my clams for a roubaix.
Old 12-17-08, 06:40 PM

Bikes: Gary Fisher Zebrano

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My '05 Roubaix is the only road bike that I've ever owned, so I can't compare it with others. The relaxed geometry was the big selling point for me, as I ride for fitness and recreation (not racing). I weighed 245 lbs when I got the bike. The Alyx wheels that came with it didn't hold up for me - I broke a number of spokes. I switched to Easton Orion's and haven't had a wheel problem since. I also did the pro-fit procedure for the bike setup. I've got 10K miles (including a couple of MS150's) on my Roubaix; it's been great the whole time.
Old 12-18-08, 08:13 PM
Tilting with windmills

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
George, you going to the state championship game on Saturday? Looks like our respective high schools are playing each other.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.
Old 12-19-08, 08:02 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an '08 Expert triple. My only regret is not getting the compact. I found I was hardly using the big ring in front and never using the smallest ring, so spending 90% of my time on the 39 ring. i simply switched out the 53 for a 50 and now use at least the outer two rings.

Great bike for the money. I'm 6'4" and 225 or so. No wheel issues at all. Others have commented on the Toupe' saddle. I hated it and got a Selle Anatomica and love the combination of that saddle with the relaxed geometry. Put about 3000 miles on it this season. Not as much as others, but enough to be able to say that the Roubaix was a great choice for me.
Old 12-19-08, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by txvintage
George, you going to the state championship game on Saturday? Looks like our respective high schools are playing each other.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.
I would like to, but I have to go over to my sons house in Sugarland. I did make 3 of the Katy Tigers game and they are a great team.

Sorry guys for the temporary high jack.
Old 12-19-08, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 51 Posts
Look at the tire room--will it REALLY fit the tires you should be riding? Most of us Clydes should be on 28c tires; many contemporary road bikes, especially the trendier and more carbon-happy brands, have inadequate room for them.
Old 12-19-08, 10:12 AM

I haven't tried it myself, but other people on the 50+ forum have put 28mm on and they fit with no problem.
Old 12-19-08, 10:23 AM

Bikes: 2007 Trek Pilot 2.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have a 07 Trek Pilot 2.1 Test rode the Specialized Roubaix Triple as well. It was a coin flip between the two. Came down to I trust the shop at the store I bought the Trek from. Had some issues with my son's bike and the brakes at the shop that sells specialized here. Let's just say I don't like to mess with brakes on my bike, and when it comes to my son's they better watch out! I still wonder what the roubaix would have been like to own, and I REALLY think you'll be happy with it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.