Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Where to buy stoker handlebars

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-04, 04:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recently purchased an old Columbia tandem bicycle off of Ebay. Unfortunately, the stoker stem was in bad shape and the stoker handlebars have fallen off. The stem is broken clean in half and it doesn't look like there is any way to repair it.

Are there any websites that sell cheap used tandem parts? I am just looking for some cheap stoker handlebars with the stem. After extensive googling I have only found some very expensive handlebars that are made for new tandems.

I have some old solo bikes that I don't use at all. Is there anyway that I could butcher their handlebars and use something else as a stem to attach it? Or would it be way too much trouble?
Old 04-10-04, 05:08 PM
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
For new parts at reasonable prices...
https://www.gtgtandems.com/partsnew.html

For inexpensive work-arounds, an inexpensive threadless MTB stem -- perhaps with shims -- can usually be attached to the captain's seatpost to double as a stoker stem. Just be sure you get the right length and rise to properly position the bars for your stoker.
Old 04-10-04, 05:48 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
If you're not in a hurry check out if there's any bicycle swap meets in your area, that is a cheap source for parts/bikes. Older stoker stem are sometimes available or use a narrow threadless stem as suggested (utilizing shims if need be).
Any type of used bar will do, whether stoker prefers uprights, ape-hangers, mt. bike bars or what -ever.
Your LBS sometimes has take-off bars or used bars sitting around in their 'junk box',so check them out; that will keep the price down too.
Hail Columbia! Enjoy your tandem!
Rudy & Kay/Zona tandem
Old 04-10-04, 06:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your best bet for this part will be a swap meet. If you mesure the seat post and handle bars I can take a look and see if I have one that will fit, it's yours for the cost of shipping.

The stoker stem on your Columbia is a heavy steel part, I don't know of anyone that makes one that will fit. You may want to ask Mark, if someone makes one that will fit your seat post he will know.
"When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking." - Arthur Conan Doyle
Old 04-13-04, 06:50 PM
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Here's a question and a thought. Are you trying to 'clean it up' or just make it functional? If you're just trying to make it functional and you have all the pieces from the original stoker handlebars/stem/seatpost, just have someone weld it back together. The metals we're talking about on an old Columbia aren't exactly rare or exotic and any good welder could easily render it serviceable in about 5 minutes.

Again, just a thought...

If you're looking to make it look original, consider checking with Harris Cyclery (Sheldon Brown), Mt. Airy Cyclery (Larry Black), or post a note to the discussion forums on www.theCABE.com (classic and antique bicycle exchange) or www.oldroads.com.