Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Can someone recomend me a Jacket.

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-08, 10:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am looking to buy a new outer shell, but I cannot find a nice one in my size. In my normal clothes I wear a XXL or even some XL, but in ike gear the xxl stuff is not even close. I purchased a wind jacket from aerotech designs, but it does not have any pockets which I would really like to have. I tried all the usuall suspect (Jenson, Performance, REI) but no luck. Does any one have any suggestions?

Thank You, Juan
Old 12-18-08, 11:06 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate 2006, Litespeed Pisgah , Specialized Roubaix 2008, Trek Madone 2011

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Specialized jackets come in XXL which I believe is 48-51 chest. They have them on-line but I believe you can only buy from a bike shop.
Old 12-18-08, 11:25 PM
Tilting with windmills

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Dicks Sporting Goods usually has Canari XXXL but they run around $70.

I've had the same experience in that I usually wear an XXL jacket but most XXL rain jackets I have tried are way too tight across the chest and shoulders.

Check Nashbar for their orange/clear type rain jackets. They just had a 72 hr/72 items/72% off sale. I ordered this rain jacket in XXXL for $6.00.
Old 12-19-08, 05:40 PM
Old Fart

Bikes: 09 Specialized Sirrus Expert; 09 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bellweather has a nice yellow jacket I got in XXL. I have a 49 chest and it fits snug, but not overly tight. It has two zipped side pockets and a rear zipped pocket. The plus I like is that the ams zip off and it becomes a vest with a nice vent in the back. Set me back around $80.00. Got it through my LBS.
Old 12-19-08, 05:41 PM
Arsehole

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Showers Pass jackets go up to a 55" chest, and are very, VERY nice (ie: expensive).
Old 12-19-08, 05:58 PM

Bikes: 2009 BMC SLX01/2016 Santa Cruz Bronson

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
sports authority has nice canari jackets or 39.99, i tried on the xxl i am usually xxxl and it was tight on me. it would probably fit you if you fit xl sometimes.
Old 12-19-08, 08:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have seen this J&G jacket on a friend, who is enthusiastic about it. It will be my next rain-jacket.
https://www.bicycleclothing.com/Water...n-Jackets.html
Old 12-19-08, 08:31 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I was kinda bummin' too cause my Pearl Izumi doesn't have pockets. But realy it's made to be worn over a jersey then shed when it warms. No pockets or extra material means it rolls up tighter to fit in the jersey. I paid $70 too.

Gina's is actually a men's model. Hers has a few pockets and removeable sleeves. A little thicker but paid $109 (dammit, she always gets the good stuff!) but doesn't roll up as tight. Not sure what size accommadations are but I know hers has plenty of room for C-Cups!
Old 12-19-08, 09:52 PM

Bikes: Giant "Rainier"

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out Sierra Trading Post. Go to their search bar and type in "Lowe Alpine" and you will come up with batch to choose from. The XXL sizes at 50-52.

I just bought this: https://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/0...t-For-Men.html It folds into a pouch the size of your hand. I am in the XL - XXL range and it fits nice. This one is a simple wind shell hoodie with elastic wrists and waist (which is long...that is good). There are dozens of more technical fabrics, on the site. Mirco-Fleece and Gore. All depends on the $$

On top of great price of $33, I Googled and found a 15% off coupon code for Sierra Trading Post and ended up paying $$28.39 I think shipping was $7.95, but I also bought other items.

Good Luck,

Jay
Old 12-19-08, 10:04 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PlatyPius
Showers Pass jackets go up to a 55" chest, and are very, VERY nice (ie: expensive).
Thanks for this info. This looks perfect and I just placed an order for the Touring Jacket.

Thanks to everyone for your help.
Old 12-20-08, 12:55 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a windbreaker style jacket from a local Big & Tall shop. It was marketed as a golfing style. Also came as a Tall so it had longer sleeves.
Old 12-21-08, 08:58 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lutz
I have seen this J&G jacket on a friend, who is enthusiastic about it. It will be my next rain-jacket.
+1 This is the brand I wear.
Old 12-23-08, 10:48 AM

Bikes: Gerry Fisher Nirvana, LeMond Buenos Aires

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Call Lou from www.foxwear.net. All his clothing is custom made... yet the prices are great! I am sure he can make a coat or any of his other cloting in just about any size you'd need.

I have the EVap coat and use it from 50F down to 2F. I also have his riding tights for Winter use and they are phenominal. So far I've been down to 15F without the slightest bit of being cold. Also the material is extreamly wind proof so that helps a lot, yet allows sweat to leave easily. There may not be some fancy lable on the clothing Lou makes, but all his stuff is very functional and well made.

Happy riding,
André
Old 12-23-08, 11:40 AM
On my TARDIScycle!

Bikes: Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lutz
I have this rain jacket. It's a good jacket, but a word to the wise. If you are torso tall and not long legged, it will not fit well. My height is more in my torso than my legs and this jacket is cut for cycling, so its even shorter on the front (designed to be for short torso, ridden while bent). If I stand straight it comes up high and leaves my gut hanging out.

The jacket didn't work well for me.

*Good quality, but there are "gotchas" with it.
Old 12-23-08, 11:44 AM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CigarDad
+1 This is the brand I wear.
If you are not looking for a rain jacket, but rather a wind shell, try the J&G Yellow Jacket.
It's been my primary commuting jacket for 3 or 4 years now.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 12-23-08, 09:53 PM

Bikes: Giant Sedona (Mid 90's), Giant Seek 2, Greenspeed Anura

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FYI, I just bought an XXL Performance Commuter's Jacket. It's tight around the middle section but perfectly sized above and below the beer line. The jacket seems to be the same sort of cut they use for really skinny people scaled up but they didn't scale the belly section up to match.

My new goal: fit this new jacket (I'm close and it's a good place to start. That and the jacket was $150 -gulp- so I'd better make ME fit IT.)