Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

New winter rider - almost getting there

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-08, 09:59 AM

Bikes: 2007 Kona Jake, 2002 Specialized Hard Rock, 19?? Schwinn Sprint

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I added these to my winter gear - they are absolutely awesome!

I wear something similar to these (not sure of exact model)

along with this which is kinda nice but doesn't do much for covering my nose without really fogging up the goggles.

or this which makes it hard to breath - and fogs up the goggles really bad.

So I'm in need of a new solution for covering my face. When going into a little bit of wind at below 0 F it doesn't take long before the nose really starts getting too cold to keep going. How do you manage that along with goggles and not fogging up the goggles?
Old 12-19-08, 12:22 PM

Bikes: Scott Road, Jamis, Tricross,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a Turtle Fur neck gaiter that I got over 10 years ago. I cover my mouth but not my nose when it's sub zero temps outside. Whenever I cover my nose with anything my goggles fog or ice up. Works great on my cheeks and keeps my neck warm also. My nose always pays for it though.

https://www.rei.com/pwr/product-revie...ck-Gaiter.html
Old 12-19-08, 01:38 PM
:)

Bikes: '07 Pista, '09 Fantom Cross Uno, '8? Miyata, '67 Stingray, '0? Zoo mod trials, Tallbike, Chopper, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '67 Triumph Chopper, '69 CB350, '58 BSA Spitfire, '73 CB450

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use an old fabric sample of some super-fancy upholstery/tapestry fabric as a big bandana across my face. Works good for me and cost $0.
Old 12-23-08, 12:02 AM
ride for a change

Bikes: Surly Cross-check & Moonlander, Pivot Mach 429, Ted Wojcik Sof-Trac, Ridley Orion. Santa Cruz Stigmata

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Below 15 F I wear face cover thing that covers my nose and mouth and ears and attaches with velcro behind my neck. Has little holes to breathe through and my face stays very warm, (if moist) I'm fully covered and my goggles DO NOT fog. They are Oakley A Frames. Double lenses, really good ventilation. If you are using single lens goggles they will fog easily.
Old 12-23-08, 06:41 AM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by modernjess
Below 15 F I wear face cover thing that covers my nose and mouth and ears and attaches with velcro behind my neck. Has little holes to breathe through and my face stays very warm, (if moist) I'm fully covered and my goggles DO NOT fog. They are Oakley A Frames. Double lenses, really good ventilation. If you are using single lens goggles they will fog easily.
Smith Turbos do the job with minimal fogging too...if you don't mistake the WHIRRRRR of the fan for UFOs, panic and run your bike into a ditch. Not that I know of that ever happening.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 12-23-08, 06:51 AM

Bikes: Raleigh Technium(SS), Jamis Diablo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the Campmor Balaclava, it doesn't fog up the goggles due to a highly breathable patch of fabric located at my mouth and nose. And if I need a little breathing more, it easily stretches under my chin.
Old 12-27-08, 03:25 AM

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpy, Schwinn 974

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear an Outdoor Research Sonic clava (Gore Windstopper fleece). I have only ridden it to +6F, but -12 windchill, and it has done a nice job.

It vents some through the top, despite nose and mouth openings, which fogs my glasses. So I use Smith Option LST motorcycle goggles, with the lower frame edge sealing off the clava top edge. No fog. The goggles are transitions photochromic, untinted in overcast winter daytime and night, going to gray in sunlight.
Old 12-27-08, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kidpurple

along with this which is kinda nice but doesn't do much for covering my nose without really fogging up the goggles.

So I'm in need of a new solution for covering my face. When going into a little bit of wind at below 0 F it doesn't take long before the nose really starts getting too cold to keep going. How do you manage that along with goggles and not fogging up the goggles?
It doesn't make much sense to me to buy something else that will likely have the same problem. I think if you cut out the mouth and nostril area just enough so that there is no resistance to breathing and no air get trapped under the face covering it will solve most of the problem. The rest of the problem is that your face and head is too warm and fogs goggles up.
Old 12-29-08, 07:02 PM

Bikes: Trek 820 mtb, A no name red steel pipe bike, my commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, below 20, I wear the face cover. Last Monday, I came in to work at +1, and my water pipe had frozen. I know to blow back the water, but the bit still was hard and unsuckable. I am still
working on my hands at that temperature, and so far they have been the only issue, everything
else is toasty warm. Now, if I can just get the hands that way. I still have fogging issues, even
though I have the patch of screen to allow exhilations.
Old 12-29-08, 11:32 PM
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kidpurple

Go to https://www.polarwrap.com and click on 'exchangermask' They're pricey, but they seem to have the major annoyance of 'wet balaclava' from breathing pretty well covered.(no pun intended)

I have been using an 'expedition weight' balaclava w/ski goggles for a few years now to acceptable success as I put TP up my nostrils and breath exclusively through my mouth. Crass, but effective. The exchanger mask looks promising...I'm going to get one. I'll report back in a few weeks.

BTW, I've read posts where people use the mouth piece from a snorkel mask and run the tube part around the neck and down the back. I've never tried it, so I don't know...