Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Surly Triple Crankset on an LHT

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-08, 04:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How about some feed back from those who have installed a Surly triple crankset on an LHT. Durability, ease of adjustment, etc.
Old 12-25-08, 05:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
Maybe you mean a Sugino triple, which is what comes stock on the complete LHT (Surly doesn't make cranksets). If so, they're great for the touring bike application. Sugino has been making pretty much that same 110/74mm BCD crankset for decades. I've got an '83 Centurion Pro Tour with a Sugino AT crankset; it's a timeless, classic crankset for a touring bike.

Here's my '08 Surly LHT with a new Sugino triple. I built the bike up from a bare frame. I can tell you that the Sugino triple works great with a 110mm bottom bracket spindle with this frame. My chainrings are 46/34/24. I'm running an 11 x 32 cassette.

Last edited by well biked; 12-25-08 at 08:08 PM.
Old 12-25-08, 09:01 PM

Bikes: A little of everything

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Surly doesn't make cranksets).
Mr. Whirly?

(I've never seen one in person.)
Old 12-25-08, 09:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Raiden
Mr. Whirly?

(I've never seen one in person.)
Ah, maybe that's what the OP is asking about. I've never seen one either, or even heard of it until you mentioned it. Did a search, though, and there it is. My bad.
Old 12-25-08, 11:01 PM

Bikes: Cinelli Supercoursa 69, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Mondonico Diamond Extra 05, Coors Light Greg Lemond (built by Scapin) 88, Scapin MTB, Stumpjumper 83, Specialized Stumpjumper M4, Lemond Poprad 2001

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
The nice thing about the Sugino is the ability to get spare parts. I have one of the original Specialized Stumpjumper Sports with the Sugino cranksets and I was able to get replacement parts after all these years. Like your LHT with the 26in rims. The new Surlys with the S&S couplers are quite an item.
Old 12-25-08, 11:21 PM
surly old man

Bikes: IRO Mark V, Karate Monkey half fat, Trek 620 IGH, Cannondale 26/24 MTB, Amp Research B3, and more.

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 18 Posts
I think the Whirly is just for the MTB's. Not sure. But I think its just for the 73mm BB bikes they make. I have seen them and they seem like they could be great. But never used one. And I worry about how proprietary the whole crank/bb is.

Now Sugino is another story. Like mother's milk. Not special, not flashy. But simple, tough, relatively cheap, and good looking (I think).

jim
Old 12-26-08, 08:49 AM
wrench

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The cranks are 100% compatible with every Surly on the market, and will install with ease. They use outboard bearings like most cranks now and the bottom brackets are getting easier to get ahold of from most shops. I'm not sure which BB they come with, but if you wanted to upgrade to something like a King, Hope, or Phil BB, you'll never need to replace your BB again. The only downside to the Surly cranks is that they are only available in 170 and 175, so if you're a 172.5 guy then you might want to consider the Sugino crank. Oh, and they're easy to install too.
Old 12-26-08, 10:26 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by frozin
The cranks are 100% compatible with every Surly on the market, and will install with ease. They use outboard bearings like most cranks now and the bottom brackets are getting easier to get ahold of from most shops. I'm not sure which BB they come with, but if you wanted to upgrade to something like a King, Hope, or Phil BB, you'll never need to replace your BB again. The only downside to the Surly cranks is that they are only available in 170 and 175, so if you're a 172.5 guy then you might want to consider the Sugino crank. Oh, and they're easy to install too.
Thanks frozin.
Old 01-15-09, 08:49 AM
succumbs to errata

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by frozin
I just found this thread whilst doing a search for something else and had to insert this from the Surly website:

"Armsets: 165, 170, 175, 180, & 185mm. Silver or Black. (165mm in Silver only). Forged 7075-T6 aluminum."

So, yeah, no 172.5's, but everything else is there.