Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

It's Official, I'm a Wimp

Old 12-29-08, 08:38 AM
Tilting with windmills

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It's Official, I'm a Wimp

So it's a balmy 28 degrees here with a small amount of wind.

No problem, I have all new tights, jacket, balacava, gloves, wool socks, base layers, long sleeve jersey, the whole kit.

Head out for a ride this morning that was supposed to be most of the day. NOT. It's friggin cold out there.

I'll head back out in a while when it warms up a few degrees.
Old 12-29-08, 08:41 AM

Bikes: 02 Jamis Coda

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LoL... i dont' go out if it's much below 50.
Old 12-29-08, 08:46 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by txvintage

No problem, I have all new tights, jacket, balacava, gloves, wool socks, base layers, long sleeve jersey, the whole kit.

Head out for a ride this morning that was supposed to be most of the day. NOT. It's friggin cold out there.

And I was seriously considering moving to Texas. So much for that.

Old 12-29-08, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Historian
Me too, or some other place where it's warm most of the year. I'm working on the wife.

I won't go out once it gets below 40.
Old 12-29-08, 09:00 AM
Tilting with windmills

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Blah, we have a few days a year where it might stay this cold all year. Usually it may start out cold but warm to the upper 40's or higher rather quickly. Heck, Friday it reached almost 80, and Saturday I was in a long sleeve denim shirt all day with no jacket.

With the exception of Southern Florida and Southern California, I think we have some of the most moderate weather to be found. Dallas is virtually on the same Parallel as San Diego, after all.
Old 12-29-08, 09:04 AM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Pull yourself together man! Winter is bracing and invigorating! Clears out the bugs and keeps down the snakes!
Old 12-29-08, 09:16 AM
Tilting with windmills

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by billydonn
Pull yourself together man! Winter is bracing and invigorating! Clears out the bugs and keeps down the snakes!
Ha! High today is supposed to be 65. We're already up in the mid 30's. I'll be heading back out when we hit 40 which should be really soon.

This the definitive time for the use of "Just HTFU!".
Old 12-29-08, 09:19 AM
Neil_B

Originally Posted by Snapperhead
Me too, or some other place where it's warm most of the year. I'm working on the wife.

I won't go out once it gets below 40.
I will, but the wind gets to me, and it's been a windy December. Also, I can't commute since I work nights and thus can't see ice on the roads.

Old 12-29-08, 10:07 AM
Neil_B

Dallas is virtually on the same Parallel as San Diego, after all.
Except politically, of course.

Old 12-29-08, 10:21 AM
Tilting with windmills

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Except politically, of course.
There is that, lol.

Meh, I've lived both places. San Diego is actually more A-Political based on my time living there.
Old 12-29-08, 10:37 AM

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Oxnard, CA - average January low 45 / average August high 74
Old 12-29-08, 10:54 AM
Neil_B

Blah, we have a few days a year where it might stay this cold all year. Usually it may start out cold but warm to the upper 40's or higher rather quickly. Heck, Friday it reached almost 80, and Saturday I was in a long sleeve denim shirt all day with no jacket.

With the exception of Southern Florida and Southern California, I think we have some of the most moderate weather to be found. Dallas is virtually on the same Parallel as San Diego, after all.
OK, Texas is back in the running.

I guess I've gone public, TXVintage. Folks, it's true. I'm investigating moving from PA. I just can't stand the winters, I'm unhappy with my job, and I'm trying to make major decisions and changes in my life right now. This is all fallout from my losing more than 100 pounds of excess weight. There's a lot of other baggage I want to lose as well.

Sorry to thread hijack yet again, folks!

Old 12-29-08, 11:57 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You got farther than me...I just stuck my head out the door this morning and came back to play on the webs.
I should have gone out at 11am...but was paying bills.
Now it's almost noon and have to take my daughter out driving.
Looks like I'll just leave the house an hour early for work, bring a change of clothes with me and ride a VERY circuitous route to work.
Oh HOW WILL I BE ABLE TO COPE...with 65F temps? (hee)

Hey Neil-

C'mon down. We need to do summa that there tooorin' yeh keep talkin' about.

My nice new Nashbar Touring Build AKA "The Flying Avocadooooooooo!"
1998(?) Trek 700 Multitrack
1995 Trek 1220 AKA "Jimi"
Older Non-suspension Specialized Hardrock
Old 12-29-08, 12:04 PM
VoodooChile

Bikes: Salsa Casseroll

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, Texas is back in the running.

I guess I've gone public, TXVintage. Folks, it's true. I'm investigating moving from PA. I just can't stand the winters, I'm unhappy with my job, and I'm trying to make major decisions and changes in my life right now. This is all fallout from my losing more than 100 pounds of excess weight. There's a lot of other baggage I want to lose as well.

Sorry to thread hijack yet again, folks!
Me too, man...only my move is from PA to Arizona and I have taken substantial steps to make it happen: I started in 2007 studying for the Az Bar exam; took the bar in February '08; sold my house; started sending out resumes; and will be able to move once my son graduates from high school this June.

Formulate a plan, put it on a timeline, and make it happen.
Old 12-29-08, 12:28 PM
Thread Killer

Bikes: Fuji Touring Xtracycle, Merlin Road, Bacchetta Giro 26 (Sold), Challenge Hurricane, Cruzbike Sofrider

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will, but the wind gets to me, and it's been a windy December. Also, I can't commute since I work nights and thus can't see ice on the roads.
I came >< close to buying studded tires for my hurricane because of ice.. I mean studded tires in Texas!?!?! Sprinklers and ____ homeowners and business lots icing up the street I did ride in today avoiding most of the areas I know to have spinkler fanatics and it worked out pretty well. I think this has been an odd winter or perhaps I haven't been paying attention the previous years. Alot of days so far of 32 degree or less wakeups where ice is a danger.

It is windy and it is too cold down here considering the heat we have to deal with for so long during the summer. Forget waiting till it cools down in the evening to go outside during the summer because it doesn't until a couple hours before sunrise.
Old 12-29-08, 12:36 PM

Bikes: mountain bike, road bike

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is 32 degrees here. We were above freezing the last two days the first time in months. Here is a photo out of my office at home. That fence you see to the left is about 3 feet tall. We are over 48 inches of snow for the month, which is a record (oh yea). The old record was 23 inches, so to say this is unusualy, is an understatement. I wouldn't mind living where they have warmer winters, but I don't want the 100+ summer days.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0705[1].jpg (100.5 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by dbikingman; 12-29-08 at 12:37 PM. Reason: that's not a grainy photo, just snow falling.
Old 12-29-08, 01:30 PM

Bikes: Rans V-Rex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After New England, my favorite part of the country is the Pacific Northwest. The Portland, OR area in particular. But I'm not sure I could live without the snow. I occasionally threaten my wife with a move to Maine to follow the winter weather as the climate warms.
Old 12-29-08, 05:07 PM
Old Fart

Bikes: 09 Specialized Sirrus Expert; 09 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have been in Dallas in August and Dallas is no San Diego. I have seen bike stands melt into the black asphalt causing the bike to land on its side. I once fried two eggs on the sidewalk with a side of bacon in less than 10 minutes. No. I will take San Diego weather anyday of the week over Dallas.
Old 12-29-08, 05:34 PM
Tilting with windmills

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gapwedge
I have been in Dallas in August and Dallas is no San Diego. I have seen bike stands melt into the black asphalt causing the bike to land on its side. I once fried two eggs on the sidewalk with a side of bacon in less than 10 minutes. No. I will take San Diego weather anyday of the week over Dallas.
Ok, ya got me there. I got nuthin in the way of a reply.
Old 12-29-08, 05:36 PM
Tilting with windmills

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cod.peace
After New England, my favorite part of the country is the Pacific Northwest. The Portland, OR area in particular. But I'm not sure I could live without the snow. I occasionally threaten my wife with a move to Maine to follow the winter weather as the climate warms.
I've lived in Connecticut and Washington State. While I miss them in many ways, I hit 95 South as soon as I could when the chance came up to get back to warmer weather with almost no snow fall.

I just can't hang in the snow, but it does look good on TV or a post card.
Old 12-29-08, 05:45 PM

Bikes: Giant FCR, Scott CR1 Team, Fuji Newest 3.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by evblazer
I came >< close to buying studded tires for my hurricane because of ice.. I mean studded tires in Texas!?!?! Sprinklers and ____ homeowners and business lots icing up the street I did ride in today avoiding most of the areas I know to have spinkler fanatics and it worked out pretty well. I think this has been an odd winter or perhaps I haven't been paying attention the previous years. Alot of days so far of 32 degree or less wakeups where ice is a danger.

It is windy and it is too cold down here considering the heat we have to deal with for so long during the summer. Forget waiting till it cools down in the evening to go outside during the summer because it doesn't until a couple hours before sunrise.
Too true evblazer. I think I could put up with some cold winters to have a guarantee that the summer wouldn't be above 100*. It's really hard to pedal home from work at 6p when it's still broad daylight and 100+ degrees. I had to buy a 3 liter do-dad (dunno what you call it) for my camelback this last summer!
Old 12-29-08, 06:04 PM
Tilting with windmills

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jtgyk
You got farther than me...I just stuck my head out the door this morning and came back to play on the webs.
I should have gone out at 11am...but was paying bills.
Now it's almost noon and have to take my daughter out driving.
Looks like I'll just leave the house an hour early for work, bring a change of clothes with me and ride a VERY circuitous route to work.
Oh HOW WILL I BE ABLE TO COPE...with 65F temps? (hee)

Hey Neil-

C'mon down. We need to do summa that there tooorin' yeh keep talkin' about.
Yep, had to man up and force myself back out into the 65 degree blizzard. There was a lot of wind though.

Made it back out for about 2.5 hours of saddle time over a 3 hr period. I even took my camera and took pictures. Now if my USB port would just recognize the camera I would be in good shape.

If all else fails, when my wife gets done mking sure iTunes stays in business another month I'll download the pics on the other computer.
Old 12-29-08, 06:49 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
BLARRRGH!!!!

Once again life craps in my coffee! I was working towards leaving for work an hour early to extend my commute............the lovly women in my life conspire to fill up any time that may be for myself.

Only Getting my 3.4 miles today....unless it is really nice tonight. I may still be able to add a couple miles to the end of the commute if my batteries last. (grrrr)

My nice new Nashbar Touring Build AKA "The Flying Avocadooooooooo!"
1998(?) Trek 700 Multitrack
1995 Trek 1220 AKA "Jimi"
Older Non-suspension Specialized Hardrock
Old 12-29-08, 07:36 PM
invisible friend

Bikes: Gary Fisher Tassajara hardtail mtb, '01 Rans Wave, '98 Raleigh R700, Mid-80's Takara Professional, '91 Bianchi Alfana

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
48 degrees here today, and I slept 'til noon after working all night, so I had a great ride today! Not too many miles, but great weather(though a bit breezy), and I even made a grocery run too. We'll probably get that cold weather tonight and tomorrow that you got today, we seem to run a day or so behind you usually! After it gets below 40, it's really tough to push the bike out of the garage! I sure can relate!
Old 12-29-08, 07:39 PM

Bikes: 2009 BMC SLX01/2016 Santa Cruz Bronson

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
it was about 78 degrees here in Miami, 5mph breezes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.