Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

New record set.

Old 01-03-09, 10:11 PM

Bikes: mountain bike, road bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New record set.

Not, the type I enjoy. For December we recieved 61 inches of snow, the old record was 51 inches. This morning it was -8 F, that is too cold to ride. I haven't had time to ride lately, because I have been too busy shoveling snow. I shoveled off the roof today, after about 4 hours I "bonked" if that is what it is called in snow roof shoveling

It's hard to ride because the roads are slick, and while studded tires might help, I'm more concerned about cars. There is no shoulders. On the main streets where there are two lanes you might have 1 1/2 lanes.

Starting around Tuesday, the weather is predicted to be above freezing. Then it will take some time for the roads to clean up. I'm ready for spring.

As a side note, I had joined a gym and was trying to learn to swim. Well, that has been put on hold since the roof of the gym above the pool collapased.

Hey Txvintage, do you have room for me to pitch a tent so I can ride in some nice weather
Old 01-03-09, 11:44 PM
Tilting with windmills

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Absolutely! Come On Down!

It was near 80 today and I actually had to take stuff off after being out on the road for a bit.

Ya know, if we got enough folks together we could have our own C&A commune.
Old 01-04-09, 09:41 AM
Chubby super biker

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You can ride in -8F, it's just not fun. At all. I know what you mean, I've commented (more than once) to my wife this winter that I don't think I'd turn down a transfer to Arizona, California, or Texas if my company offered it. Heck, I might even be able to be talked into Georgia or the Carolinas

Seriously though, you are spot on about cars. On snowy/icy days I always take the "long route" to work, which is 100% MUP. Cars are dangerous normally, add adverse road conditions and they are downright deadly. Enjoy the heated indoors, there are 361 great riding days left in 2009.
Old 01-04-09, 03:47 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I visit Spokane, home of my mother-in-law, yearly and I love it out there. I just don't come out in the winter. Hang in there... things will improve.
Old 01-04-09, 05:04 PM

Bikes: 2007 Bianchi Volpe

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's hard to ride because the roads are slick, and while studded tires might help, I'm more concerned about cars. There is no shoulders. On the main streets where there are two lanes you might have 1 1/2 lanes.

Yep and this is what is really making me crazy. Because while some folks initially attempted to clear their sidewalks the city's plows push the snow off the street onto the sidewalks. Thus if you want to walk anywhere you are forced to walk on the roadway. Which is dangerous in the best of conditions, but without a shoulder and the snowbank keeping roadways skinny and icy, walking is not a viable option. I am fortunate enough to live within two blocks of a grocery store. For the last several months I have been making a daily trek to and from the store. While it is not what I would consider exercise (unless you buy canned goods, those cans are heavy!) it is simply too dangerous right now. So regrettably I am currently driving my truck on all my daily errands.

Bare roads and spring weather cannot come soon enough for this Clyde!!!