Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Gloves

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-09, 03:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gloves

Just wondering what kind of temps you stop wearing gloves at. I find I need them until 50-55. Is this normal, or does it suggest I have bad circulation. I often wear them with a short sleeved shirt, and sometimes even shorts.
Old 01-10-09, 08:53 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you are exceptional. Dont believe I've ever left my arms bare but worn gloves because of cold hands.
Old 01-10-09, 11:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave
Just wondering what kind of temps you stop wearing gloves at. I find I need them until 50-55. Is this normal, or does it suggest I have bad circulation. I often wear them with a short sleeved shirt, and sometimes even shorts.
50-55 F is probably a common range when people need to switch from fingerless gloves to full finger gloves. If you can go gloveless at 50 F you have good circulation in your hands.
Old 01-11-09, 04:40 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bcbcbc
I think you are exceptional. Dont believe I've ever left my arms bare but worn gloves because of cold hands.
Indeed. But I often wear gloves with my arms bare, because I always wear gloves on a bike. I have eight pairs for everything from arctic to tropical!
Old 01-11-09, 10:20 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's no way you'd catch me gloveless in <50, so I'm not in the exceptional circulation category. It's 47 nnow, and I will wear gloves when I go out. Gloves with shorts and a hoodie to cycle to church probably isn't the most fashionable look, but if it's comfy and keep smy arms/ hands warm, while my hard working legs still het plenty of frsh air, so be it. Some of you will gasp in horror at shorts at 47, but I don't beleive in long trousers above 45.
Old 01-11-09, 03:35 PM

Bikes: Specialized, Trek

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
"Just wondering what kind of temps you stop wearing gloves at"

When your hands are no longer cold.

If you read the many opinions here on winter riding strategies, i.e., breathing very cold air, hand and feet protection, face and eye wear and clothing in general, you will note that the responses and suggestions are all over the place depending on who replies. Everyone's individual tolerance to cold, physiological make-up, and exertion level is different.

Take your gloves off when it feels right for you and never mind what everyone else does.
Alfie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2008 sigpicnomtcl.jpg (81.1 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by alfie43; 01-12-09 at 09:39 AM.
Old 01-11-09, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always wear full fingered gloves. Ive experienced what happens when one crashes. Typically its the palm that gets it. But I dont see any reason not to protect my digits both on the road and on the trail.
Old 01-12-09, 03:10 AM

Bikes: Devinci Millenium, Gary Fisher Joshua

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
I too always wear gloves because the only thing I have really hurt in a wipeout was my palms.

I look a bit silly with full gloves in the summer, but I feel a lot safer.
Old 01-12-09, 05:35 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't particularly worry about when to wear gloves- I just wear them and get on with it. I was just curious to find out how wha other people's tolerances. I just rode in to lectures in shorts, hoodie and gloves at 47 degrees and very slight drizzle. I felt just right warmth wise