Search
Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

Maximum Image Width

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-09, 07:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Maximum Image Width

Is there a maximum width of an image allowed? If not, why? It is very annoying when someone posts a wide image and I need to scroll back and forth to read all the posts on that page. I think there should be a maximum width. If the image is larger than that, then just post a thumbnail or link to the image.

While we're at it, why do people quote a post with a bunch of images, instead of removing the images in the reply?
Old 01-16-09, 08:38 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I agree there should be a 800-1000 pixel limit on the width.
Old 01-16-09, 09:05 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SweetLou
While we're at it, why do people quote a post with a bunch of images, instead of removing the images in the reply?
Because it's easier...

Just so you know, you don't have re-download it every time the image appears.
Old 01-16-09, 10:08 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oh, so it is laziness. I see.
Old 01-16-09, 11:20 PM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
If they link to Photobucket, it's 800 pixels wide or a thumbnail, but sometimes they link to gigantic images from other websites.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 01-16-09, 11:27 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Oh, so it is laziness. I see.
Why do you care if people include the picture in a reply?
Old 01-17-09, 08:51 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A couple of reasons:
1. It isn't necessary and just more scrolling to get to the information.
2. Must use "Remove This Object" more times if it is a large image that causes me to scroll sideways to read the post.
3. I could use "Remove This Permanently", but that would soon make the file very large. Slowing down loading of pages.

I'm not against quoting pictures. But when someone quotes a post with 5 large images of different bikes, and just says, "Nice Miyata." It seems kind of silly. Could have just said, "Umd, Nice Miyata". Especially when the quoted post is directly under the one they are quoting. If it was from 3 pages ago, I could understand that.

With that said, the quoting of pictures is just silly, it is not really a complaint. It is the too wide of images that makes side scrolling necessary.
Old 01-17-09, 08:59 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
If they link to Photobucket, it's 800 pixels wide or a thumbnail, but sometimes they link to gigantic images from other websites.
Ok. But that doesn't answer my original question. I guess this means BF doesn't have any rules about image widths. So, why not? Does BF not care if large images are posted that causes users to side scroll the rest of the page to read any posts?

I think we should. It is an annoyance, one that could easily be corrected. If a Mod found an image that was too wide, they could easily remove the [IMG] tag and PM the offender that wide images must be linked, not shown.

What I did on the forum I ran, was do that exact thing. I would also post an "Edit" in their post telling them I removed the image, but left the link. I think this might have helped showing others that wide images were not allowed.
Old 01-17-09, 09:54 AM
NFL Owner

Bikes: 7-Eleven Eddy Merckx, Vitus Futural, Catamount FRS, Colnago SL, SS MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
There's a plugin for the forum software that will automatically resize images to a specific width, with an option for the viewer to expand it up to original size. I've suggested it to the powers that be before, but nothing's been done.
Old 01-17-09, 10:05 AM

Bikes: 2006 Cannondale CAAD8

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
They dont care how wide an image is. I don't think it is that big of a deal. It is a little annoying scrolling back and forth though. I guess they assume members will be responsible enough not to post tremendous pictures. Either leaving it as is or limiting it doesnt matter to me. I have a 21" widescreen so I would hate to see it limited to only 800 pixels. Anyway I just realized it is probably really annoying to read this post since I posted a really large picture right under this. Well enjoy

(bonus points if you quote me and leave the image)

Buy your bike parts here

Last edited by Jynx; 01-17-09 at 10:08 AM.
Old 01-17-09, 10:10 AM
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
When we all have 22 inch wide monitors, will the images then be 3000 pixels wide?

I use the Firefox addon Image Zoom. It works great to zoom tiny images or shrink big ones. The BF thread text re-wraps on the fly as the wide image is shrunken.

Edit-- I see that the above 20,000 pixel image is too wide to resize the text on this thread; it wraps correctly. So--post really big images!
Old 01-17-09, 12:01 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, if you are using Firefox or IceWeasel, you can add to your UserContent.css file:

@-moz-document url-prefix(https://www.bikeforums.net/) {
img { max-width: 500px !important}
}

Or whatever you wish as the max-width. I've just tested it and it is doing well. But I still think BikeForums should set a rule for this.
Old 01-17-09, 02:27 PM
umd
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
But I still think BikeForums should set a rule for this.
I disagree. Too big to one person may be just perfect or even too small for someone else. For the mods to go through and "fix" everyone's posts would be unmanageable.
Old 01-17-09, 03:35 PM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Just limit them to 500 pixels and be done with it. There is no need for photos to be any larger than that. Or force everyone to use the thumbnail option.
Old 01-17-09, 03:40 PM
umd
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Using the "thumbnail option" requires you to upload the picture to BF instead of linking from another location. You say no need to be larger than 500 pixels, but to me 500 pixels looks like a postage stamp. The complainers can use tools to auto-resize images.
Old 01-17-09, 05:05 PM
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I vote for a limit on picture size. And quoting images is ugly.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 01-17-09, 07:25 PM

Bikes: 2006 Cannondale CAAD8

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
Using the "thumbnail option" requires you to upload the picture to BF instead of linking from another location. You say no need to be larger than 500 pixels, but to me 500 pixels looks like a postage stamp. The complainers can use tools to auto-resize images.
Agreed. 500 pixels is tiny. When I post pics I usually keep them at 800 wide and that is still fairly small.

Buy your bike parts here
Old 01-17-09, 08:20 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Jynx
Agreed. 500 pixels is tiny. When I post pics I usually keep them at 800 wide and that is still fairly small.
1,000 is a nice round number, good enough for all but the largest screens, and not so large as to swamp small screens.
Old 01-17-09, 08:28 PM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Originally Posted by Jynx
They dont care how wide an image is. I don't think it is that big of a deal. It is a little annoying scrolling back and forth though. I guess they assume members will be responsible enough not to post tremendous pictures. Either leaving it as is or limiting it doesnt matter to me. I have a 21" widescreen so I would hate to see it limited to only 800 pixels. Anyway I just realized it is probably really annoying to read this post since I posted a really large picture right under this. Well enjoy

(bonus points if you quote me and leave the image)

I like um Big.
Thanks

Old 01-17-09, 08:31 PM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
You must be from Texas.....

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 01-17-09, 08:32 PM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
You must be from Texas.....
Send me a monitor that size.
Thanks

Old 01-17-09, 11:06 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by umd
And posters can easily link to a larger image and not cause side scrolling. You don't need to upload to BF for a thumbnail. If a larger picture is required, they can use thumbnails from photobucket, imageshack or a link. No problem there. If you have problems with small images, you can resize the image also.

Why are you so against a link to larger images? I don't know of anyone that likes to side scroll through a thread so that it can be read.
Old 01-17-09, 11:53 PM
umd
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
And posters can easily link to a larger image and not cause side scrolling. You don't need to upload to BF for a thumbnail. If a larger picture is required, they can use thumbnails from photobucket, imageshack or a link. No problem there. If you have problems with small images, you can resize the image also.

Why are you so against a link to larger images? I don't know of anyone that likes to side scroll through a thread so that it can be read.
I am against a rule limiting the size of an image; I am not opposed to the concept of not displaying large images (large being subjective of course).

Bikeforums has an "attach files" feature which displays images automatically as thumbnails, which is what Machka was referring to. However, if I just want to display an image using the IMG tag, it doesn't do any kind of thumbnailing.

As far as me resizing images, you are the one with the complaint, not me. You want to change the system, to make new rules. Why should I have to bend of backwards to fix a problem that is not broken for most people? Everyone is going to have a different limit of what they consider to be too large. Those people that are bothered by this can use plugins to resize the images smaller. You can't make images larger as easily... an image that is only 500 pixels wide will look crappy blown up to 1000, but an image that is 1000 will look fine reduced to 500.

As for bandwith... HTFU, this is 2009. I don't even have problems downloading or viewing large images on my phone.
Old 01-18-09, 01:26 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by umd
I am against a rule limiting the size of an image; I am not opposed to the concept of not displaying large images (large being subjective of course).
Yes you are. At least you have been arguing against it.

Bikeforums has an "attach files" feature which displays images automatically as thumbnails, which is what Machka was referring to. However, if I just want to display an image using the IMG tag, it doesn't do any kind of thumbnailing.
And it is just as easy to use the code that the free online image locations give you to use the thumbnail. But, why would you want to post a large image on purpose? Do you have no considerations for other users of this forum and how your actions affect the readability of the forums?

As far as me resizing images, you are the one with the complaint, not me. You want to change the system, to make new rules. Why should I have to bend of backwards to fix a problem that is not broken for most people?
How is not posting large images bending backwards? I was not serious about changing the size, it was to show you that we shouldn't have to install pluggins, remove objects so that we can read the forum as it was meant to be read.
Code:
<table class="tborder" style="border-bottom-width: 0px;" width="100%" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="0">
As you can see, the table is suppose to be 100%, so that it fits within the user's browser. Large images break the table layout.
It's not broken for most people? Are you sure of that? Just in this thread it seems like more people are against large images. Do you have different data that I am unaware of?
Everyone is going to have a different limit of what they consider to be too large. Those people that are bothered by this can use plugins to resize the images smaller. You can't make images larger as easily... an image that is only 500 pixels wide will look crappy blown up to 1000, but an image that is 1000 will look fine reduced to 500.
Answered above, why should I bend over backwards for other people's inconsiderate actions? But if you are having problems with 500 pixel images, maybe you should get a smaller screen.I mean, most images are not very large on here, you must be having a very difficult time seeing what people are posting.
As for bandwith... HTFU, this is 2009. I don't even have problems downloading or viewing large images on my phone.
I don't remember anyone mentioning bandwidth.
Old 01-18-09, 09:58 AM
umd
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yes you are. At least you have been arguing against it.
No I have not. I have been arguing aginst imposing some kind of forum rules about a maximum image size. I do not like huge images either but I do not want to impose an arbitrary restriction.

And it is just as easy to use the code that the free online image locations give you to use the thumbnail.
You are assuming everyone is using those sites. If you reference a random picture on the internet there is no code given for you.

But, why would you want to post a large image on purpose?
I do not post large images, although I'm sure complainers like you would still have a problem with it. My images are 800 pixels wide at most, I think that is reasonable.

Do you have no considerations for other users of this forum and how your actions affect the readability of the forums?
My actions are affecting the readability of the forum.

How is not posting large images bending backwards?
I was referring to thumbnails

I was not serious about changing the size, it was to show you that we shouldn't have to install pluggins, remove objects so that we can read the forum as it was meant to be read. As you can see, the table is suppose to be 100%, so that it fits within the user's browser. Large images break the table layout.
I do not understand what you are blathering about.

It's not broken for most people? Are you sure of that? Just in this thread it seems like more people are against large images. Do you have different data that I am unaware of?
This thread is not representative of the entire community. How many people even know about this tiny corner of the bikeforums universe? I only came here to post about some strange behavior in large threads. When this comes up in the road forum a few people complain, most people say to HTFU and deal with it. The complainers are the minority. Thats said, when people post obscenely large images, people will ask the poster to reduce it.

Answered above, why should I bend over backwards for other people's inconsiderate actions?
It is far simplier for people who have an issue with image size to deal with it on their end than it is to ask everyone else to take more steps to satisfy a minority.

But if you are having problems with 500 pixel images, maybe you should get a smaller screen.

I mean, most images are not very large on here, you must be having a very difficult time seeing what people are posting.
Depends on what the image is. Sometimes images are a little small and it's somewhat annoying but I get over it.

I don't remember anyone mentioning bandwidth.
Of course, you are the type of person that expects the world to revolve around you. When this issue comes up from time to time in the road forum, some people (such as Machka) complain about bandwith.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.