Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

anyone tour with a brooks professional ?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-09, 10:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

my bike and b-17 were stolen a few months ago and i just a pro. to go with my new LHT. It's a little different, maybe a longer break-in period, just wondering if anyone has toured or put some time in on the pro.
Old 01-19-09, 11:06 PM
"I'm the Man in Black"

Bikes: IndyFab 29er SS, Surly CrossCheck, Titus Moto-lite, Specialized Enduro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have not toured yet with it but am planning a tour on my CrossCheck...It has a Brooks Team Professional that was given to me. I have put in a couple hundred miles and it fits me as good as the B17 that I have on my IndyFab 29er SS MTB...that is to say it is great. Ride it, you will like it
Old 01-19-09, 11:09 PM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I have a 26-year old Brooks pro with thousands of miles on it, including some touring miles.

I like it. I think, as Brooks says, that a B17 is a little more comfortable on a bike that you are sitting more upright on. But if you like the Pro now I imagine you'll like it on tour as well.
Old 01-19-09, 11:12 PM
No dice

Bikes: Univega Arrowpace Fixed Gear Conversion, 2007 Specialized Allez Triple, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do! Bought it used off of a guy who road it from Seattle to Montana and then gave up on it, I have since put on about 500km. It feels absolutely amazing to me, it also has to do with having a bike that fits me really well but I enjoy all my time spent in the saddle.
Old 01-19-09, 11:16 PM
"I'm the Man in Black"

Bikes: IndyFab 29er SS, Surly CrossCheck, Titus Moto-lite, Specialized Enduro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Thisisit
I do! Bought it used off of a guy who road it from Seattle to Montana and then gave up on it, I have since put on about 500km. It feels absolutely amazing to me, it also has to do with having a bike that fits me really well but I enjoy all my time spent in the saddle.
I love my Pro and my B17 and would not part with them for anything...well, except for a Rivendell with a Swift on it
Old 01-20-09, 06:49 AM

Bikes: LeMond Buenos Aires, Trek 7500, Scattante CFR, Burley Hudson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Burley has a Brooks Pro on it. It served me well on my last cross country.
Old 01-20-09, 01:05 PM

Bikes: Trek 7300FX, Lemond Sarthe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the Brooks Team Pro on my Lemond and have put in thousands of comfortable km on it. The team pro needed about 1500 km to break in.

I use a Brooks B-17 on my hybrid (which I use for touring) where it's greater width is more comfortable in the more up-right riding position of the hybrid.

I found the B-17 very uncomfortable on my Lemond, it was too wide and chafed the inside of my thighs. The Team pro was ok to ride on when I started breaking it in on the hybrid, but the B-17 is definitely more comfortable on that bike.

So, I think the comfort of the saddle depends on your riding position: narrow saddle is best for a aero, prone position; wider saddle is better for upright positions.
Old 01-21-09, 12:46 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1937 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 440 Posts
I have about 2500km on my Team Pro. It's a great saddle.