Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Sources for touring bike "build kits"?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 01-20-09, 10:31 AM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

Does anyone know a good online source where one could shop/price/buy complete or reasonably complete build kits for a touring bike?

There are lots of sources to by complete groupsets for road bikes -- all the Shimano, Campy, and SRAM groupsets seem to be available at discounted prices. And you can buy mountain bike groupsets as well (like Shimano XT or Shimano XTR kits).

But I haven't found a good place where someone has put together a set of components designed for a touring bike that one could buy (presumably at a discount vs. buying the components one by one).

For example, here is a set of mountain bike and road bike build kits from a custom builder, Curtlo. But I think these prices apply only if you get the frame.

https://www.curtlo.com/build_bike.html

And here's a nice kit builder from GVH Bikes, for road bikes

https://www.gvhbikes.com/

But I haven't found complete kits (or even touring-friendly groupsets) online.

Your thoughts?

Last edited by BengeBoy; 01-20-09 at 10:35 AM.
Old 01-20-09, 10:51 AM
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by BengeBoy
Does anyone know a good online source where one could shop/price/buy complete or reasonably complete build kits for a touring bike?

There are lots of sources to by complete groupsets for road bikes -- all the Shimano, Campy, and SRAM groupsets seem to be available at discounted prices. And you can buy mountain bike groupsets as well (like Shimano XT or Shimano XTR kits).

But I haven't found a good place where someone has put together a set of components designed for a touring bike that one could buy (presumably at a discount vs. buying the components one by one).

For example, here is a set of mountain bike and road bike build kits from a custom builder, Curtlo. But I think these prices apply only if you get the frame.

https://www.curtlo.com/build_bike.html

And here's a nice kit builder from GVH Bikes, for road bikes

https://www.gvhbikes.com/

But I haven't found complete kits (or even touring-friendly groupsets) online.

Your thoughts?
Find someone that offers pick your own kits? FWIW both of my tour bikes utilize MTB component groups but they are the older ones Deore LX and Suntour XCM.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 01-20-09, 10:53 AM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Find someone that offers pick your own kits? FWIW both of my tour bikes utilize MTB component groups but they are the older ones Deore LX and Suntour XCM.

Aaron

I haven't found a "build your own kit" source that allows you to put together a touring bike build.

Either they are road kits, or mountain-bike kits with MTB shifters.

Say - a kit builder that allowed you to mix 135mm hubs (like XT's), with an XT group, but with bar end shifters. Or at least delete the stuff you wouldn't want, but still get a discount on the stuff you do buy...
Old 01-20-09, 11:14 AM
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
My LBS will let me custom select a parts kit and then give me a pretty decent discount on the whole order.
Old 01-20-09, 11:18 AM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Take a look at

Http://www.cyclofiend.com/currentclassics

There are lots of build lists on there suitable for touring
Old 01-20-09, 11:38 AM
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I haven't found a "build your own kit" source that allows you to put together a touring bike build.

Either they are road kits, or mountain-bike kits with MTB shifters.

Say - a kit builder that allowed you to mix 135mm hubs (like XT's), with an XT group, but with bar end shifters. Or at least delete the stuff you wouldn't want, but still get a discount on the stuff you do buy...
Forgot about the shifters One bike is still running MTB shifters the other started out with them and ended up with drop bars and brifters with bar ends still in the box waiting on someone to make up his mind

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 01-20-09, 12:21 PM

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by nun
Take a look at

Thanks, I see the lists, not sure where to buy unless you buy them a part at a time.

Just to clarify the question -- once one knows the parts one wants to buy, is there a good online source where you can purchase the parts at a "group discount"?

I can find:
- touring wheel builds (like Peter White, or Rocky Mountain Cycle)
- road bike groups at a discount
- mountain bike groups at a discount

But I can't find a touring bike build kit that allows one to purchase the parts that would be suitable for a touring bike build at a discount less than the component-by-component piece.

The closest I've come is either (a) a Shimano 105 road kit with a triple, which isn't geared low enough, so you'd have to tweak it more or (b) a Shimano XT MTB kit if you delete the shifters.

Two examples:

- A complete Co-Motion Americano is $3545. The frame and fork are $1835. So the cost of the "build" is $1700. Is there a source to get that quality of a "build" for $1700?

- A complete Rodriguez Adventure touring bike is $2600 (base model, www.rodcycle.com). The frame and fork are $1500. So the "build" is $1100, including wheels. Anywhere to get close to that?
Old 01-20-09, 10:33 PM

Bikes: Road: Rocky Mountain Signature Road w/ Campy carbon 9 speed and Ksyrium Wheels.....Commuter/Cyclocross: Surly Crosscheck w/ Mixed Campy 9 speed......MTB: Ellsworth Sub22 w/ SRAM, Mavic Crossmax UST, SID Fork

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LBS is the way to go

Your LBS is the way to go. They can go onto their QBP "Dream Cycle" program and custom build you a complete setup. Make sure the person knows what they are doing with this program as there can be compatability issues. By this I mean the program actually limits you more than what will actually work together and if they do not know there way around bikes and/or the computer program they may actually limit you. However, when you do mix/match parts be careful to understand your LBS cannot know every possible combination and it may take a few hiccups to get everything dialed in. As far as sales.....that depends on your shop. Twice a year during April and October our shop has 20% off and our orders definately go up during this time. Let me know if we can help.

Erik
Old 01-20-09, 10:54 PM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Price your build kit out online using the usual sites

www.rivbike.com, nashbar, performance, harris, aebike, universal cycles

then go to the LBS and see what price they can do, as for a big fat discount if you buy it all from them.
Old 01-21-09, 11:09 AM
weirdo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If you want all new parts, maybe the cheapest way would be to buy a complete in the 1100 range (LHT, Aurora, Randonee, Fuji, etc) and get what you can out of the frame after you strip it.
Old 01-21-09, 11:16 AM

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
If you want all new parts, maybe the cheapest way would be to buy a complete in the 1100 range (LHT, Aurora, Randonee, Fuji, etc) and get what you can out of the frame after you strip it.
Thanks for the suggestions above. I am pretty far away from buying a bike, just dreamin' , and trying to figure out what a reasonable discount on a purchase of an entire build would be (without bothering my LBS about a purchase I'm not ready to do).

Actually, I have thought about the "buy a bike, strip the parts" solution.

The suggestions above about asking my shop about the Dreamcycle program sound good, too.

So far the least expensive route appears to be creating a "wish list" and hunting down the parts one at a time on sale or eBay.
Old 01-21-09, 07:22 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Whole bikes are cheaper---- it's easier to change a lot of the parts on a stock bike than start form new.

But an all new build is a lot more fun.
Old 01-22-09, 11:28 PM

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Salsa Mukluk, Riese & Muller Supercharger GT Rohloff (Forthcoming)

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by nun
Take a look at

That came back with a 404 error for me

Andrew
Old 01-23-09, 09:21 AM
nun

Originally Posted by Aushiker
That came back with a 404 error for me

Andrew
sorry try

https://www.cyclofiend.com/cc
Old 01-23-09, 09:38 AM
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
So far the least expensive route appears to be creating a "wish list" and hunting down the parts one at a time on sale or eBay.
That's true...assuming you enjoy the process. If you don't love trolling for deals and you value your free time than I'd say it's an expensive way to go.

I'm in the second camp which is why I like using my LBS. I get some pretty smoking deals when I ask and without shipping or return expenses it can actually be cheaper than online. Plus it only takes me the time to draft an email and send it to my LBS' manager.
Old 01-23-09, 07:44 PM

Bikes: IF steel deluxe 29er tourer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're lucky that your LBS watches out for you. My experience has been that my local LBSs' are all trying to gouge their customers. And forget about touring advice. Frankly, unless you're a high end roadie, my local LBSs' have lousy customer service.