Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Studded 700 tires

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Studded 700 tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-09, 05:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Studded 700 tires

Anyone here ride studded tires for a 700 sized wheel? I've been riding the old Trek Mt. bike this winter. It's not a bad ride, but it does feel like a tank in the snow. Hence, I'm considering taking the Cannondale 800T out in the ice and snow. However, two winters ago I had a nasty spill hitting an ice patch at the top of a pretty steep climb (I couldn't get any traction and simply fell over a guard rail and about 10 ft. down an embankment. The freaking guardrail cutting into my shins was the nastiest part of the fall. Well, that and my ego.) So, I'm hoping for a bit better traction with studded 700/35s, which the C'Dale will easily fit. Given the prices I've been seeing for these tires, I don't want to purchase them and then be disappointed, and it looks like this winter will be a long one. So, what wisdom can you all offer?
Old 01-21-09, 06:03 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts
I commute on a CX-bike with Nokian W 106 tires. Just now we have had a large snowfall so now I am using my MTB with Freddie Lites. But for all ordinary winter days the 106's work great.
Old 01-21-09, 06:20 AM

Bikes: 88 Fisher Gemini tandem, 92 Trek 970, 07 Nashbar Frame, 08 Gary Fisher Paragon

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been finding that on a 29r MYB that they handle the snow quite well. Might want to look at those options too because some 700c wheels will accept 29R rubber.
Old 01-21-09, 07:40 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
This is my 6th season of daily riding on my Nokian 106 tires, and they should hold up for at least one more season. They are wonderful on glare ice. While not as capable as the more extreme winter tires, the tread gives a far better grip on snow than do my normal Schwalbe Marathon Plus slicks.

Paul
Old 01-21-09, 08:20 PM
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
I decided to try it this year. I got some 700cx32 wheels for an old 10-speed Nishiki and put Kenda Klondikes on it. I'm happy with it -- haven't fallen yet. But I can't compare the Kendas to other tires. I will say that riding on packed snow when it's 15 degrees is about twice as hard as riding the same route on asphalt with 25's.

I suggest reading this article carefully:
https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/studdedtires.asp
Old 01-22-09, 07:01 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
I'm in my third season on a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta W106. They're good in everything but two combinations--hardpack over ice, and brown sugar snow over hardpack. The tread isn't deep enough to handle the shearing between the layers.
Old 01-22-09, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks, Folks. Now I've just got to spend sometime researching price and availability.