Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Free cycling film screening in s.d. With guest gary fisher!!!

Notices
Southern California Southern California

Old 01-21-09, 03:49 PM
Klunkhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey All,

I just wanted to let you know that Gary Fisher and his old business partner Charlie Kelly will be coming to San Diego for a free screening of my cycling film, KLUNKERZ, at the end of the month. In 1979 these two cyclists started a little company, cleverly called MountainBikes, that was the first MTB company in the world. They are both really fun guys and they will be available for questions after the film.

Klunkerz tells the story of a small group of hippie/athletes who, quite literally, reinvented the wheel. Their passion for cycling created a multi-billion dollar industry and an Olympic sport. There are tons of previously unpublished photos and footage of the early road riding and cyclo-cross careers of cycling legends Gary Fisher, Joe Breeze, Tom Ritchey, and many more. The film has been traveling the world and has been very well received by the mainstream and cycling press in the U.S. and abroad (see below).

The screening is at noon on Friday, 1/30 at the La Paloma Theater in Encinitas. It is part of the Competitor Magazine Film Festival. If you would like some FREE TICKETS, simply email me with the names of the people you would like on the list and I'll make it happen. I've got quite a few comps for this screening. Thanks for your time and I hope to see you there.

Ride on,
Billy Savage
writer/producer/director
KLUNKERZ
www.klunkerz.com

KLUNKERZ PRESS ONE-LINERS

USA TODAY
“Savage’s funny and often poignant film looks at how a bunch of semi-stoned hippies in Northern California developed a unique style of off-road bike riding through collaboration and competition…KLUNKERZ is worth checking out, even if you’re not a bike nut,”

THE NEW YORK TIMES
“The titular vehicles of William Savage’s aptly-named documentary KLUNKERZ are, in fact, pre-1941 bicycles, gamely converted into mountain bikes. In his documentary, Savage takes a fond glimpse at this international craze.”

MOVIEMAKER MAGAZINE
“Documentaries of this nature always appeal to a very niche audience, but KLUNKERZ is just as enjoyable for those of us who aren’t cyclists.”

STUFF MAGAZINE
“KLUNKERZ looks at the origins of the sport and the Californians who went big on street bikes back at the start of it all, way back in the hair-and-flair ‘70s.”

MOVIE MAGAZINE INTERNATIONAL
“KLUNKERZ is a small, but important, film that traces the history of modern day mountain biking.”

THE MIAMI HERALD
“KLUNKERZ is definitive-and destined for classic status…Savage succeeds in making the story appealing to movie buffs and bike geeks alike.”

THE DURANGO HERALD
“ It’s colorful characters and the community they created is what makes this movie completely stand out.”

PARK CITY RECORD
“Savage calls it a labor of love and it seems true in every aspect.”

MARIN INDEPENDENT JOURNAL
“It’s a great ride.”

THE SANTA BARBARA INDEPENDENT
Classic footage and even more classic denim-armored characters-some of whom have gone on to mountain biking royalty like Gary Fisher and Joe Breeze-makes this an enjoyable, educational, and entertaining movie.”

BIKE MAGAZINE (Best of the Year ’07)
“KLUNKERZ is the most compelling bike film made in quite some time.”

MOUNTAIN BIKE ACTION
“Maybe the most remarkable thing about the film is you don’t have to be a mountain biker to be thoroughly entertained.”

BICYCLE RETAILER AND INDUSTRY NEWS
“Finally, a mountain biking film that captures the history of the sport, KLUNKERZ has many of the same traits that made films like Riding Giants and Dog Town so great.”

VELONEWS
“It was a period of camaraderie and innovation that has been loving and masterfully documented by Billy Savage in his film KLUNKERZ.”

RIDE MAGAZINE SOUTH AFRICA
“Combine the hedonistic philosophy of the times with the sort of expendable income and spare time for recreation undreamt of by earlier generations, and it becomes a no-brainer… William Savage perfectly captures this era.”

MOUNTAIN BIKE TALES
“Billy Savage has literally put together a chronicle of a revolution that will probably outlast the bicycle as we know it.”

THE BICYCLE PAPER
“KLUNKERZ is a funny, informative journey from beginning to end…a must see.”

COMPETETIVE CYCLIST
“KLUNKERZ is now required viewing to anyone and everyone who rides a mountain bike.”

SPOKES MAGAZINE
“KLUNKERZ is definitely a classic that will be worth sharing with friends as well as watching over and over again.”

DIRT MAGAZINE
“Watch this film, then go out on your bike…you’ll feel differently about the way you ride, I’m sure of it.”

DIRT MAGAZINE U.K.
“KLUNKERZ is a film from the heart and soul of Billy Savage.”

BIKE RADAR
“The right people in the right time spawned the mountain bike, and KLUNKERZ does and excellent job of letting them tell their story. Two thumbs up and five stars.”

MOUNTAIN BIKING MAGAZINE
“KLUNKERZ is a very special film…this is definitely one to have in your collection.”

XLR8R MAGAZINE
“Fascinating!”

MOMENTUM MAGAZINE
“…you get a real sense of excitement… it’s hard not to get a contact high.”

MOUNTAIN LIFE MAGAZINE
“This movie will have you dying to bomb a hill on a one-speed, coaster-braked, beach cruiser.”

FM4 AUSTRIA
“KLUNKERZ is warmingly nostalgic without being a mere history lesson.”
Old 01-26-09, 09:08 PM
Pedal pusher...

Bikes: I've got a bunch...

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Terrific movie.
Old 01-27-09, 10:11 AM
Does Not Exist

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why does this got to be in the middle of the day?