Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

What's the Best $500 MTB Deal Out There?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-09, 02:53 PM
Allan

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)

Hello all,

I am looking for a MTB, either hardtail or full suspension, for $500-550. I'm leaning more towards a hardtail, but would consider a full suspension bike. I'm 6'3" and need a XL frame. I can even consider a bare frame or frame/fork combo if you think it's a great deal. Also would consider a used if it still has plenty of live left in it. My main preference is a new bike or new old stock (NOS).

Thanks for any and all feedback.

Old 01-22-09, 05:10 PM
mechanically sound

Bikes: Indy Fab steel deluxe, Aventon cordoba, S-works stumpy fsr, Masi vincere, Dahon mu uno, Outcast 29 commuter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 53 Posts
For your budget, don't even consider a full boinger. Your best bet is to walk into your lbs (with a six pack) and see what they can do.
Old 01-22-09, 06:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Allan
Hello all,

I am looking for a MTB, either hardtail or full suspension, for $500-550. I'm leaning more towards a hardtail, but would consider a full suspension bike. I'm 6'3" and need a XL frame. I can even consider a bare frame or frame/fork combo if you think it's a great deal. Also would consider a used if it still has plenty of live left in it. My main preference is a new bike or new old stock (NOS).

Thanks for any and all feedback.
The best bike for that price is one that is 2 years old and still sitting at the bike shop for 40% off. In other words, most bikes in that range are going to have very similar and entry level components. Try to find an $800 bike that's on sale.
Old 01-26-09, 09:17 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your price range would only get you a fairly low end hardtail, no FS bike is that inexpensive unless you are getting a Wal-Mart special. Your best bet is to go for an NOS bike like you mentioned that has a big discount or go the used route. You should check the classifieds, Craigslist or even ebay. Using Craigslist I was able to get a 2 year old, barely ridden Trek 6500 hardtail for $375, the original retail was around $900.
Old 01-26-09, 09:44 AM
Mount-an-Biker

Bikes: Sette Reken, Mongoose Nx 7.3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Craigslist.