Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Help, front suspension no longer bounces.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-09, 10:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have Rock Shox, DART 1. My suspension no longer works. It's cold right now but I don't think that matters at all. Can someone help me here? I have no idea on what the first thing I should even do.
Old 01-25-09, 10:45 AM
mechanically sound

Bikes: Indy Fab steel deluxe, Aventon cordoba, S-works stumpy fsr, Masi vincere, Dahon mu uno, Outcast 29 commuter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 53 Posts
Make sure that the lockout isn't on (if it has one). Look for a dial on the top of the crown. If that's not the problem, google the tech manual and search for clues there.
Old 01-25-09, 11:35 AM

Bikes: 2003 Giant OCR2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is the Dart oil-damped? If so, the thicker oil in the cold could play a role.
Old 01-25-09, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From what I remember is that the Dart 1 is an elastomer and spring suspension fork and pretty much the bottom of the range for forks. The Dart 1 didn't have a lockout only pre-load adjuster.

Your options are limited as it's not really worth rebuilding this type of fork, but if you're mechanically inclined you could dismantle it to see if there's an obvious problem. Just watch your eyes when the springs shoot out and impale your eyeball. If you're just riding the bike on the road you could switch it out for a cheap rigid fork, or if you want to retain the bounce of your current fork the Dart 3 is quite cheap.