Old 01-25-09, 06:09 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
My Sunday GMR Ride (pics)

Had a chance to ride alone since Gina was shopping for the grandson's birthday present. She backed out of our ride at the last minute so it was a split second decision to hit up GMR. I didn't feel like getting caught out in the middle of GRR in the rain so I did the first 8 mile climb to the shack two times. 42000 ft of climbing, not bad and I'm happy with it! Sky was dark, it was cold and I've beenon GRR inthe pouring rain before. Didn't like it so I wasn't taking any chances. That and I'm ascared of lions. At the top of the second climb I ran into Brandy coming down from GRR,alone. Then I realized, "Gee I'm a wuss!"

Oh well! AT the start of the ride I ran into Pinoybentrider (Ron). Covered up like he was riding in Alaska. We talked for a bit then did the poesur thing. Once I started the first descent, I knew why he was covered up like he was! It was friggin' cold and I was descending far later than he was. I must add, the guy was on a fixie/single speed. Only other guy I know besides Fixer crazy enough to do GMR on a fixie!

On the second time up, I was feeling pretty good. Till mile 3. Maybe it was a mind thing as a couple of young dudes flew by me like I was standing still. I swore they were wearing Postal Service uniforms, but they rode by way too fast making the letters blurry! Then another rider came up. At his point, I'm sucking wind. That's cool, If I make it up feeling this way, then I'm good. Riding the knobbies yesterday must have taken something out of my legs. I just keep thinking if I had'nt done 42 on knobbies, I would have kept up with the Postal boys today. Maybe not! OK...NOT!

As the third guy flew by me, I recognized him as my old friend Jason from another forum. This guy cracked me up! We did a GMR forum ride years ago with another forum. Plenty of guys on $8000 climing machines.This guy made them look silly on his $500 Scattante!.....Then after that, he dropped me bigtime on the descent like I was standing still! Anybody thinks a guy at 130/140 lbs can't descend, they are mistaken!

Pinoybentrider (Ron)

Me

Jason

Brandy

A look down from the first mile or so.

A taste of the switchbacks
Old 01-25-09, 06:20 PM
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Forgot to add, Brandy is a very good descender. I was surprised. She got caught behind a car the wouldn't let her by! I was lucky and got the courteous dude waving me by. Glad I met her on the descent or she would have made me look foolish on the climbs!
Old 01-25-09, 06:26 PM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Nice report.

Old 01-25-09, 06:53 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've always been wishing one of these days, you'll be riding GMR, so I can have my pose, LOL. Great pictures, Thanks. Keep this thread updated, so I may ride with you sometime on a geared bike if you plan riding here again. Going down GMR, I usually do repeats as I encounter acquaintances going up, but today I'm wasted on my ss. I think, you're ready for the Big Bear ride.
Old 01-25-09, 06:59 PM
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I did post the pics in my journal thread too. Figure they will be handy there. I did decide this year to throw in all rides over there too for safe keeping!
Old 01-25-09, 08:32 PM
Time Trialist & Duathlete

Bikes: Custom built road bike & custom built TT bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Beanz,

I have a TT on the 1st and a duathlon on the 8th so what about hitting up GMR the following weekend (3 from now)? I usually ride out Baseline to GMR, go up and ride home.

And about the $500 bike, I've always said to myself it's more the rider than the bike. The only people really benefiting from an $8000 machine are the elite riders and the shops people buy them from. Thanks for being another validation for me. =)

Last edited by mtv8dmarine; 01-25-09 at 08:36 PM.
Old 01-25-09, 08:43 PM
Has coddling tendencies.

Bikes: 2008 Blue RC8 w/ '09 Rival

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 8 Posts
Really nice. Great pics. Did you see me wave at you from my ride atop the Santa Monicas? I sure hope this is the last day for windbreakers until next winter season. Weather looks really good after this last bit of rain tonight. Next weekend it's forecast to be back in the 70's!
Old 01-25-09, 09:59 PM
Grammar Cop

Bikes: in my sig line

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Next weekend it's forecast to be back in the 70's!
I sure hope so! I have the Surf City 5K next Sunday morning, and last year we froze in the sideways rain!!
Old 01-25-09, 10:25 PM
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KiddSisko
Really nice. Great pics. Did you see me wave at you from my ride atop the Santa Monicas?
Was that you?...............