Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Flip flop conversion advice

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-09, 02:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm riding a single speed gitane right now i believe the frame is late 60's or early 70's and I want to convert it to a fixed-free flip flop. Is this going to be a decent frame for this? Also wondering if someone could point me toward a decent wheelset, hub, tires, chain and whatever else I'm going to need without having to spend alot of money because I'm fairly poor. Thanks for the help....
Old 01-26-09, 03:58 PM
Lifer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The big question is chainline. Your bottom bracket will probably be a pain in the arse if it has to be replaced. If that is the case, you would be better off keeping the thing SS and finding a new fixed bike.

Chains are cheap unless you want a light one. KMC makes them in tons of colors for $15. Do you know if you want a 3/32" or 1/8" drivetrain?

The world is you oyster with wheelsets. Velocity makes ones that aren't too expensive. Alex rims are a little cheaper.

The other option is to fix your current hub with a Surly Fixxer. To get any more help, we'll need info on your current hub and drivetrain.
Old 01-26-09, 04:47 PM
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Chances are that a Fixxer won't work for you, since you likely have a freewheel, not a freehub.

That being said, there were some great Gitanes, and some less than great (and a few really crappy), and unless you post some more info, or maybe even a picture, it's hard to tell if it's worth it.

If you do have a nice frame that you feel is worth converting, it really isn't that much of a hassle. Even if you have a French thread bottom bracket (distinct possibility) you can still use it, you just have to learn some basic upkeep. The spindle length should work fine as long as you use the inner position on your crank. You'll only need to buy a fixed rear wheel and a set of short stack crank bolts. The chainline is within 1mm of perfect without any real work on your part.

Tires and chain, hell you can even keep the ones you have, just make sure to get a 3/32 cog.
Old 01-26-09, 04:51 PM

Bikes: 1986 Schwinn LeTour, 1977 Raleigh Super Course (converted to fixed gear), 199X GT outpost

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 32 Posts
If you decide you can use it, by the way, I have a used rear wheel with a fix/free formula hub on it that I'll sell you for cheap. Real cheap. I'm sick and tired of looking at spare parts I'm never going to use.

Check and make sure it will work with your spacing, though.
Old 01-26-09, 06:49 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyrano138
If you decide you can use it, by the way, I have a used rear wheel with a fix/free formula hub on it that I'll sell you for cheap. Real cheap. I'm sick and tired of looking at spare parts I'm never going to use.

Check and make sure it will work with your spacing, though.

So what am I looking for? As far as I've seen there aren't any markings on the hub i've got now. and if it will work i'll definitely get that wheel from you.
Old 01-26-09, 07:02 PM

Bikes: 1986 Schwinn LeTour, 1977 Raleigh Super Course (converted to fixed gear), 199X GT outpost

It has to do (I think--I'm not a mechanic) with how wide your bottom bracket is (?), and whether or not that will allow the front chainring to line up straight with the cog on the hub in back. The wheel I'm offering has a formula hub that came stock on the '08 fuji track. Maybe someone on here can help you with what you need to measure. That's about as much as I know about any of it. Good luck, and let me know if you need the wheel.
Old 01-26-09, 11:22 PM
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Almost all road doubles use the same 41/46 chainline. Ok, maybe only like 80%, but it's a good chance. That 1mm can be ignored, or OCDed over. Then it's time for a 1mm spacer, behind the cog.
Old 01-27-09, 12:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fuzz2050
That being said, there were some great Gitanes, and some less than great (and a few really crappy), and unless you post some more info, or maybe even a picture, it's hard to tell if it's worth it.

If you do have a nice frame that you feel is worth converting, it really isn't that much of a hassle. Even if you have a French thread bottom bracket (distinct possibility) you can still use it, you just have to learn some basic upkeep. The spindle length should work fine as long as you use the inner position on your crank.

I can't seem to find a serial number on it... kindof covered in snow and slush and **** right now though i'll look after it's clean. It does say piso (i think thats what it says) on the handlebar stem, and has the original long slender mafac brake levers as well as the original rack on the back that folds up and down. and it's like a light/vomit green. and has a leather seat made by Vocet i believe.

right now the chain line looks about 1/4 inch or maybe a little more off. how will that be fixed? and how can I tell if it's french threaded? thanks for the help...
Old 01-27-09, 02:14 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyrano138
It has to do (I think--I'm not a mechanic) with how wide your bottom bracket is (?), and whether or not that will allow the front chainring to line up straight with the cog on the hub in back. The wheel I'm offering has a formula hub that came stock on the '08 fuji track. Maybe someone on here can help you with what you need to measure. That's about as much as I know about any of it. Good luck, and let me know if you need the wheel.
How much do you need for the wheel and shipping to 68504?
Old 01-27-09, 05:19 PM

How about $30 plus shipping, which shouldn't be more than ten bucks (i'm guessing)?
Old 01-27-09, 10:34 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
awesome. how would you like to arrange payment?
Old 01-27-09, 10:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
freed my gitane from all it's muck and snow and it has a 72 at the top and rear of the head tube and a 'BOM' on the front of it. newstar hub on a front wheel i think is original, it has a ton of perforations along the rim. crank arm and (i think) pedals made in japan. i think the serial was stickered over.
Old 01-27-09, 11:16 PM

Bikes: A few BSO's.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by thelateoctober
awesome. how would you like to arrange payment?
Perhaps you guys want to PM with your payment details.
Old 01-27-09, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by tmh657
Perhaps you guys want to PM with your payment details.
pm sent