Search this Thread

Old 01-27-09, 04:27 PM

Bikes: 2006 Cannondale Synapse carbon 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stupid commuting tricks

I try to take a different route every time I go to or from work. It keeps things less boring. The theme for tonight's ride home is to criss-cross Highway 85 a ridiculous number of times (9 times to be exact). Here's the route (ridden south to north this time):

So the other thing I sometimes do to spice up the commute is "interval" work once I reach Foothill. I put "interval" in quotes because I don't do it scientifically or methodically. More like "ride really hard up this false flat section" and then "take it easy for a while once I've made it through the yellow light".

Any other games that you all play other than the usual dodging of cars?
Old 01-27-09, 04:33 PM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
I check the spot I reach in 20 minutes (ride time.) It varies with the wind and load. On my non-commuter bike it's a lot farther out.
Old 01-27-09, 04:39 PM
Tandem Mountain Climber

Bikes: Calfee Tandem, Litespeed Gravel, SuperSix Evo HM, Larry vs. Harry Bullitt (e-cargo)

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
If you took the regression plot of your route, it would look like you took highway 85
Old 01-27-09, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I try to make eye contacts with motorists, pedestrians, and fellow bike-commuters. Man, you're way more creative than I am.
Old 01-27-09, 05:04 PM

Bikes: 2006 Cannondale Synapse carbon 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cccorlew
I check the spot I reach in 20 minutes (ride time.) It varies with the wind and load. On my non-commuter bike it's a lot farther out.
This would work pretty well for my ride to work where I take the same route for at least the first half hour.

Originally Posted by 1jacktripper
I try to make eye contacts with motorists, pedestrians, and fellow bike-commuters. Man, you're way more creative than I am.
Actually I never even thought about "social" experiments like seeing what kind of responses I get from waving. To me that seems creative
Old 01-27-09, 06:20 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Maybe I need to start mixing it up, but I have to cross both 101 and 237 so aligning with the overpasses is always on my mind. Maybe I need to start biking longer distances on the way home.

I yell out "Scott loves ******" every time I ride past one particular apartment complex. I also yell "All of you are part of the problem, not the solution. Even you, Prius driver," when I cross the 101.

I also see how fast I can sprint uphill on two of the three overpasses in the standard commute.
Old 01-27-09, 06:26 PM

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And on the long summer afternoons Silentben can do Skyline Drive and the San Andreas Fault.
Old 01-28-09, 08:55 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by silentben
Actually I never even thought about "social" experiments like seeing what kind of responses I get from waving. To me that seems creative
I like saying hi or waving to each bicyclist I see out on the road. I would say that it is around 15-20% of those who will acknowledge you. It helps me pass the time on the road as I like to look at everything anyways. Much more interesting to me than a rear cassette when I am tired...lol.
Old 01-28-09, 10:21 AM
Type 1 Racer

Bikes: A dozen or so.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a straight, flat, and somewhat boring commute. When I see a blinkie ahead I chase it. When I see lights behind I try to gap them. We'll usually catch up in West Sac at the stop lights and we'll ride together into downtown. We depart and thank each other for the extra push. There's a few of us that play along.