Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Modify or Build From Scratch - Custom Geometry

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-09, 08:10 AM
Designer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I just had a thought.
If I were on a relatively tight budget and I wanted a bike with custom geometry made, would it be economically feasible to have a frame modified to fit or is it better to just build from scratch? The geometry I am looking into is 50cm c2c top tube, 52cm ctc seat tube (sloping?) or 52cm/52cm (something with a longer head tube for a little more upright ride).

I have had Gordon from Cycle Classics in Portsmouth VA work on some of my bikes and I have seen some of his custom builds and frame repairs. He does a great job so I figure I might be able to get a used Reynolds 531 frame close to my size and just have him modify it to fit perfectly.

Thanks,
Jason
Old 01-29-09, 05:06 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
The cost of decent tubing is in the 10 dollars a main tube range, so the price of the main triangle is pretty minimal. It is easier to start with fresh stuff and work on from there. The rear tubes are a similar price, and there are ways to make top notch rides with alternative tubes like 4130 stays, etc... That might save a few more bucks. Since over half the price of a custom can be in the paint, and that is without having to strip it in the first place, I don't really see the savings or the glory in modifying a frame.

I got offered some tubing sets of Columbus forks everything for 60 bucks. Good deal, but I am sure there are deals like this everywhere once a person has been around the block a few times. I would sure prefer an all new columbus frame for 60 bucks plus lugs crown and drops to recycling some stuff.

In the home shop some cool chopping type bikes can be made, people have done things like tandemize a frame, in which case the front triangle might get away as a reasonably clean unit without any unbuilding. Shortening a top tube changes a lot of stuff.