Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Face plate of 6501

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Face plate of 6501

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-09, 10:53 AM
WJV

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Face plate of 6501

I was recently given a pair of Ultegra 6501 shifters that didn't work. Well after a pb blaster enema, (the orange liquid was coming out as black goo) the shifter works great. Unfortunately the penetrating oil did its job a little too well.

The face plate is now loose and rattles like a pissed off snake. I know there are replacements available for this shifter and imagine it comes with instructions. Does anyone know how or have the instructions to tighten the plate back up? This is an early version without the obvious screw on the top of the shifter. I imagine it has to do with a plastic "wedge" on the top but don't want to apply unneeded pressure to something...
Thanks
WjV
Old 02-01-09, 11:13 AM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
The 6501 brifters were notorious for the rattling faceplate and the 6510 version was introduced just to cure it. I remember seeing a "fix" on one of the bike web sites (Slowtwitch?) a few years ago but it didn't turn up in a search. Try shimming the faceplate or maybe try tape or glue.
Old 02-01-09, 11:36 AM

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Yeah, I'd suggest some RTV or caulk to non-permanently glue it in place.