Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Messanger/Commuter bags

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Messanger/Commuter bags

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-09, 02:28 PM

Bikes: Surly CC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Messanger/Commuter bags

So I took a trip down to Marshall's and noticed that they have a ****load of Timbuk2 Mess bags for sale at like $39-29 each. I get excited because I JUST purchased a 17" laptop - and as I'm looking I get the distinct impression that these (mediums) are going to be too small and realize I'm not going to get something on the cheap afterall.

So my question is, does anybody have the XL bag and carry a 17" laptop inside? It'll get used for commuting and I'm iffy about putting the computer in a panier due to bouncing, etc.
Old 02-01-09, 04:14 PM
Lifer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've used my wife's bag (I think an XL) and my 15" Macbook Pro tends to swim in there a bit. I A 17" would fit fine, I just wish I was sure what size I've used.

I'd also plug getting a neoprene sleeve if you don't have one. I love it because it also fits folders and other crap, it's is great at forcing some structure when I'm not carrying much and it gives a ton of padding when I'm schlepping a bunch of crap.
Old 02-01-09, 04:48 PM
a.k.a. QUADZILLA

Bikes: Super Pista, Basso, Big Dummy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ditto the neoprene sleeve. I keep mine in my bag at all times. Keeps corners of books and crap from poking me in the back.
Old 02-01-09, 04:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
take veg's advice... the timbuk is notorious for lack of padding and pockets on the inside. they hold up very well though... atleast they used to. I have an XL and worked it for a few years too. If you get one... make sure to get a strap pad for your shoulder, and tie a bandanna or something at the bottom near the slip-clip, your waist will thank you
Old 02-01-09, 05:34 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i dont understand the reason to tie something near the slip clip?
Old 02-01-09, 07:50 PM
ECR

Bikes: Bianchi Pista/Fuji Nevada/Windsor Clockwork

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by whatsham
i dont understand the reason to tie something near the slip clip?
you hit it all the time with your wrist/arm. it doesn't feel good and it pops the quick release open. i use a velcro cable tie to keep mine shut. but my timbuk2 is so old and beat i only use it when it is really bad and i know i am going to fall and get really messy.
Old 02-02-09, 01:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ah i see,
i avoided this problem accidentally by using a right hand bag on my left shoulder.

great bags though. tough as nails
Old 02-02-09, 01:26 PM
moving target

Bikes: looks like a specialized crux now

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 69 Posts
buy a neophrene sleeve. my macbook has been through hell and high water including several bike wrecks and still works great.

I use a left hand bag on a side note.
Old 02-02-09, 02:20 PM
ECR

Bikes: Bianchi Pista/Fuji Nevada/Windsor Clockwork

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by whatsham
ah i see,
i avoided this problem accidentally by using a right hand bag on my left shoulder.

great bags though. tough as nails
mine is a right hand bag. the quick release on on the right side so if you need to loosen/tighten your bag in a hurry you can use your dominant hand. but my bag is so old now (at least 7 years, i think more) that is is pretty worn out. so if i bump it it pops open. and even though it is closed and holding the strap in place it seems to hang open a bit, which i why i think i hit it open a lot. the other problem i face is that the strap seams to be to long. i have so much slack in mine that there is a huge loop hanging at my side. but over all it is a great bag, i love it to death. kept my stuff dry in the worst weather and got me through college. now my timbuk2 bag is my beater bag for when i am just out riding around and i know i am going to get dirty, or if i am on my mountain bike and i might dump it doing something stupid.

edit:
did you mean you use a bag meant to go over you right shoulder and wear it on your left shoulder? hmmm. i can see that working. reach over to loosen, but the tighten up might be a hassle.

Last edited by Meepers; 02-02-09 at 02:25 PM.
Old 02-09-09, 02:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah thats what i meant...

i just swing it round front when i gotta loosen or tighten it
Old 02-09-09, 04:04 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I DIY'd a cardboard box and duct tape laptop sleeve. I was able to custom fit my laptop, and it protects it in just about any bag. The Timbuk2 I got was from a buddy of mine and it had the laptop sleeve sewn in, but it wouldn't allow the bag to sit on my back right. So i ripped it out, and now I just use my own, and it works great.

This instructable covers it for the most part, but I think you can figure it out.
Old 02-09-09, 10:06 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
The medium T2 is 18.75 inches wide and 10.5 inches high. Why won't a 17" computer fit in even with a sleeve?
Old 02-09-09, 11:12 PM
8 Full Hours of Sleep

Bikes: IRO Mark V, Yeti 575, Italvega Nuovo Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
not to hijack the thread, but i just checked out timbuk2's website and found this. if they made them large, i would totally pick one up.