Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

BF NWT - stem gets stuck

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

BF NWT - stem gets stuck

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-09, 11:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
BF NWT - stem gets stuck

Each time I try to remove the NWT stem (part of the normal folding procedure) I need to struggle with it until it comes off. The problem is to lift the first 2-3mm and after that it comes off easily. I think that the problem related to the threading of the upper head set which binds the stem.

Is this normal (I hope not)? Anybody else had this problem? Any idea how to fix it?

The bikes are new but the local BF dealer is 30mins away and they don't seem to have a resident technician so I prefer to fix it myself.

Thanks,

Kam
Old 02-03-09, 11:24 PM
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I just tried removing the stem on my NWT. Getting it started is the toughest, but I don't find it super hard....I need to get a good grip on the bars and hold the rest of the bike down with a foot or use a hand on the stem and a hand on the front rack.

I'd put a light coat of grease on the parts of your stem that interface - that may resolve your problem.

If that doesn't work I'd call BF and ask them for some help.
Old 02-04-09, 04:41 AM

Bikes: Brompton S6L ,Bike Friday NWT, Phillips 8 speed folder, Trek 930, Thorn XTC

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I have this problem and I usually part them by banging the handlebars from underneath with a rubber mallet....But perhaps better a tight fit than the handlebars coming off as you ride along..Chris
Old 02-04-09, 04:58 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess it's not unusual then. I needed something just to get it started too. A fairly wide flat blade screwdriver pushed in near the grommet at the base and then give a twist usually did the trick.
Old 02-04-09, 09:43 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by vik
I just tried removing the stem on my NWT. Getting it started is the toughest, but I don't find it super hard....I need to get a good grip on the bars and hold the rest of the bike down with a foot or use a hand on the stem and a hand on the front rack...
It seems that your bike has the same problem as mine (as well as other people that replied to this thread).

Pulling the stem out with two hands while holding the front wheel between my legs does the tricks. Only problem is that by the folding sequence of the NWT, by the time I need to remove the stem, one hand already holds the bike so they don't fall and one feet is under the rear fork so it does not get into the dirt.

I will call them and see what they say.

Kam
Old 02-04-09, 08:24 PM
hipster traffic dodger

Bikes: IRO Mark V Pro, home made bamboo track bike, eddy merckx corsa extra, Airnimal Joey commute, UGADA Tikit

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i find it best to remove teh stem first, and just hold it firmly with one hand and give it a solid wiggle. It seems teh threads bind to eachother, but a good solid wiggle seems to release it.
Old 02-05-09, 08:11 AM

Bikes: Univega Gran Turismo, Guerciotti, Bridgestone MB2, Bike Friday New World Tourist, Serotta Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had this problem when I first got my NWT. Either through wear, or spreading of the slotted tube that the stem goes in, the problem has gone away over time. Now a crisp slap on the underside of the handlebars pops them out.

Speedo
Old 02-06-09, 01:32 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
there is an article on the bike friday website on this issue