Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Replacing Bearings in a Cage

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-09, 05:03 PM

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am about to remove and replace the bearings from the cages in the wife's 87 Centurion Ironman headset.

I want to keep the cages, since I feel that the benefits of going with individual bearings don't outweigh the ease of use of the caged bearings (see other threads on this topic). When I overhaul the headset next time, I want to be able to just remove, clean, and replace the entire cage, and not worry about bearings escaping.

I want to replace the bearings in the cage because I think they've been in there for 21 years.

Any trick for removing them from the cage and putting new ones in? The guy at the LBS thought it would be risky. Haven't tried it yet, I'm hoping they'll just pop out and in.

Thanks,
Old 02-08-09, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
You do know that you just buy a new set of caged bearings don't you?

Didn't the LBS shop staff recommend this or are you leaving that bit out?

Just buy a new set of caged bearings.

Anthony
Old 02-08-09, 05:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, I didn't know that! The LBS guy should have said something. Instead he said "if you bend one of the tabs on the cage, it will be ruined."

In any case, I just found that they pop in and out very easily, and it only took a few minutes.
Old 02-08-09, 05:26 PM

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
No, I didn't know that! The LBS guy should have said something. Instead he said "if you bend one of the tabs on the cage, it will be ruined."

In any case, I just found that they pop in and out very easily, and it only took a few minutes.
Sorry but I just couldn't work out why the question was being asked after the point when you said you had a conversation with your LBS about it. Even though you have got them out I wouldn't worry about trying to get new bearings in them. Just go to another LBS and buy new caged bearings the right size.

Anthony
Old 02-08-09, 05:46 PM
Call me The Breeze

Bikes: 2004 Litespeed Siena, 1996 Litespeed Obed, 1992 Miele (unknown model), 1982 Meile Uno LS.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
I'd think disassembling and reassembling a cage would take longer than putting lose bearings in.
Old 02-08-09, 06:30 PM
Slow mechanic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AnthonyG
You do know that you just buy a new set of caged bearings don't you?
I know that I tried four local bike shops looking for caged bearings. Nobody in my town stocks them it sems.
Old 02-08-09, 06:34 PM
Free wheel

Bikes: 1978 Schwinn Traveller III, 1985 Nishiki Prestige, 1986 Raleigh Technium 480

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You did fine. I do this all the time and there is absolutely nothing wrong with reusing cages so long as they have not been mangled.

The puritans on this site will always recommend rushing out to the LBS to pay (literally $) homage to the resident guru there for every little item you might need.

Ride on brother!
Old 02-08-09, 07:06 PM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
I am about to remove and replace the bearings from the cages in the wife's 87 Centurion Ironman headset.

I want to keep the cages, since I feel that the benefits of going with individual bearings don't outweigh the ease of use of the caged bearings (see other threads on this topic). When I overhaul the headset next time, I want to be able to just remove, clean, and replace the entire cage, and not worry about bearings escaping.

I want to replace the bearings in the cage because I think they've been in there for 21 years.

Any trick for removing them from the cage and putting new ones in? The guy at the LBS thought it would be risky. Haven't tried it yet, I'm hoping they'll just pop out and in.

Thanks,
I just pop 'em out. Usually with my fingers; sometimes a needle-nose pliers helps. Install new balls in a similar fashion -- just push 'em in.
Old 02-08-09, 07:20 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Me three.
Old 02-08-09, 07:29 PM

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
A lot of bike shops don't like ordering really small stuff like that for some reason. There's one near me that went so far as to tell me that I would have to buy a beat up used cotter pin from them because they don't make them anymore. They weren't too pleased when I came back with the part number for their distributor (who had it in stock). Needless to say I ended up having to get the part at another store.

On topic however, while the caged sets are cheap, you are ok reusing cages so long as you don't bend the little fingers down so far that they scrape the bearings.
Old 02-08-09, 07:56 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I'm all done, everything went fine. Thanks for the info.

I really like dealing with caged bearings. When I'm in the garage, I don't have to worry about losing any loose ones. No counting, no bearings hiding in the grease. The uncaging and caging operation took place in the controlled environment of the kitchen table, with a towel spread out on it.
Old 02-08-09, 08:32 PM
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,266 Times in 873 Posts
For less than $.05/BB, I don't even mess around with cleaning & inspecting each individual BB.
I PREFER to count the number of bearings I install. I just count them out on a marrgerine tub lid when I'm ready to install.

https://www.loosescrews.com/index.cgi...d=984954013449
Old 02-08-09, 10:13 PM
Great State of Varmint

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Only problem that people have is putting the cage in upside-down. Often they don't notice the funny steering. Until you open it up and see it. If I was very careful removing the old BB's for disposal, I might re-use the cage. But if it's my bike, then it's getting loose BB's. Grade 25. Chromium.