Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Centurionelli Redux - Ofmega build

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 02-08-09, 07:59 PM

Bikes: 07 Vanilla, 98 IRD road frame built up with 25th Ann DA, Surly cross check with 105 comp, 78 Raleigh Comp GS, 85 Centurionelli

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 191 Posts

So after staring at and taking my Centurionelli on a couple of rides, I decided I wanted to know how it rides with the Ofmega parts. In an obvious sign of my pure desire to wrench for wrenching's sake, off came much of the Campy NR, and on went the Mistral crankset, a Premier rear derailleur (which shifts like silk, it turns out), Campy Chorus monoplanar brakes and levers, and polished Victory shifters.

I like the way it looks with both builds, but I'd love to hear what anyone who saw the first set thinks. Check the .001 in clearance btwn the front brake backing nut and the headset cup, and feel free to blast me for having fouled the freewheel and sidewalls with road grime. At least in this set it's an actual ridden steed.

Oh, and here's a link to the FLickr set with the NR build:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/7663691...7608905397925/

Last edited by poprad; 02-08-09 at 08:05 PM.
Old 02-08-09, 08:17 PM

Bikes: 1978 Nishiki Superbe, 1982 Miyata Team, 1987 Miyata 912, 1987 Davidson Challenge, 1993 Bridgestone RB1-7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah. It makes me physically ill, that you actually rode this bike, and got it dirty.... shame on you!

Please store it ASAP, and never ride it again.
Old 02-09-09, 01:26 AM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I didn't get to comment earlier in the first thread, but let me first compliment you on what has to be one of the most prettiest builds to grace C&V. Great photos.

I also like the combo of components here. The Chorus and Victory parts match well, so does the headset. The more contemporary look of the Mistral fits right in. That RD looks like a carbon copy of a Dura Ace EX. So no surprise it shifts well. My EX shifts slick and FAST.
I picked up the same calipers and a pair of NOS Victory levers for my Schwinn Prelude restore.
Wish I had the matching brake levers though. Looking forward to using them after viewing your pics.
Old 02-09-09, 01:43 AM
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 176 Posts
First off, it's gorgeous both ways. I like how the monoplanar brakes look on that bike better than the NR calipers. I don't like the white hoods with the champagne colored tape though. The crank and rear derailer are both totally cool and seem to be more unique than the NR stuff.

I say through that awful NR stuff this way so I can put it on my raleigh

-Matt
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 02-09-09, 04:21 AM
"Purgatory Central"

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Very nice 'poprad'.

Interesting mix of parts. The crankset and rr derailleur look sweet and a bit exotic compared to the NR stuff. The monoplaners are really cool. According to the campy blow-up sheet for the monoplaners you use two star washers for the front calipers with a spacer sandwiched between them. That would give you the extra clearance. The rear calipers use one star washer (serrated washer).

Had the same clearance issues on my Athena aero-brakes.

Very nice bike. I likey
Old 02-09-09, 09:48 AM

Bikes: 07 Vanilla, 98 IRD road frame built up with 25th Ann DA, Surly cross check with 105 comp, 78 Raleigh Comp GS, 85 Centurionelli

Thanks for the tip, wino R. I'll give that a try to increase the clearance. I actually hadn't even noticed until I saw the pics, then found I could just barely get a sheet of paper between the headset cup and caliper top.
Old 02-09-09, 10:06 PM

Seriously...103 views and only 5 posts? Man, that's a low return on my photo investment!
Old 02-09-09, 10:11 PM

Bikes: Motobecane Mirage fixed gear, Nashbar Alpha Road 5000, Bianchi Grizzly, Coppi Fiorelli, , Schwinn Trike, , GT All Terra, Old Peugeot, Nishiki 3 speed, Bugatti, Cannondale Black Lightning, Dura All, Bianchi Touring, Bridgestone T700 & more

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by poprad
Seriously...103 views and only 5 posts? Man, that's a low return on my photo investment!
It's because now we all hate you......You shame us all with your stunning bike and the photos are a far cry from the average blurry, out of focus cell phone pics we regularly get....We're all speechless!

Seriously though. That is a beauty. I LOVE the Mistral cranks and the RD. I've got a NOS RD in the collection. Now to find the cranks.

Got a secret to your fantastic pics?

Check out my bike blog!
Old 02-09-09, 10:14 PM
bear

Bikes: '06 Scott S20, '04 Trek 3700, '88 Schwinn Tempo, '86 Schwinn Tempo, '85 Centurion Le Mans RS, '84 Univega Gran Tourismo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You got me. I'm a big time lurker and very occasional poster. However, the rig looks very sweet!
Old 02-09-09, 10:59 PM

Thanks, appreciate the comments but also hoping to hear what folks think on the NR build vs the Ofmega build...if you have time to peruse that set link anyway.

No secret...the Ray Dobbins site is where I started. MOstly it's just having decent light, a good background, and a tripod. The camera itself is not so important, he shoots with a cheapo compact and his stuff looks pro level all the way. I'm still tweaking my technique though, and am using natural light vs spots like he uses. I need to play with my camera more to find out why the shots are still coming out darkish, I think there's some sort of "safety shift" that tones down the exposure in program mode when the camera thinks you're over exposing the shot.

Damn lurkers!
Old 02-09-09, 11:22 PM
Dropped

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Thanks, appreciate the comments but also hoping to hear what folks think on the NR build vs the Ofmega build...if you have time to peruse that set link anyway.
I think I'm partial to this group, as 1) it's more in the spirit of the original Centurion Equipe build, and 2) it seems more appropriate with the more modern paint scheme. I know NR was produced until the mid 80's, but its traditional look has always struck me as something more appropriate for 60s and 70s frames with more muted paint schemes.

The Premier looks much better than the original spec NR in my opinion, especially given its similarity to the Mistral cranks. Not so sure I'm crazy about the Chorus levers. Maybe it's because they're on those particular bars, or just that the hoods look bulky. Why not try the original Universal AER brakeset (I'm assuming you have them, which may be wrong)?

Being the owner of an Equipe myself, one which came with most of the original build components missing, I've watched for Ofmega Mistral parts for a while. Twice, a seller somewhere in Holland or Denmark sold a complete Mistral group, but I haven't seen any since. I think they sold for something like $200 shipped to the US, according to my calculations. Now that would be a group worth trying on your frame.
Old 02-09-09, 11:30 PM
Dropped

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Okay. It's been a couple minutes, can I change my mind?

All of your detail shots had me looking at the different parts of the elephant, but not the elephant itself. Comparing the two full bike shots, the NR build looks classier. From that distance, I can't see the fishnet or reptilian accents in the paintwork.

I do like Ofmega components and the modernish Campy, but as a whole, it just doesn't work for me as well as the NR build.

You wanted opinions, you get opinions. Even conflicting opinions from the same person.

Last edited by JunkYardBike; 02-09-09 at 11:35 PM.
Old 02-09-09, 11:49 PM

Bikes: 1978 Nishiki Superbe, 1982 Miyata Team, 1987 Miyata 912, 1987 Davidson Challenge, 1993 Bridgestone RB1-7

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So which rides better?
Old 02-10-09, 12:48 AM
Bottecchia fan

Bikes: 1959 Bottecchia Milano-Sanremo (frame), 1966 Bottecchia Professional (frame), 1971 Bottecchia Professional (frame), 1973 Bottecchia Gran Turismo, 1974 Bottecchia Special, 1977 Bottecchia Special (frame), 1974 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I love both versions but I'll lean towards the NR setup. I've never been particularly fond of that model Ofmega crank.
Old 02-10-09, 01:38 AM

Thanks, that's just the feedback I was looking for. Haven't ridden the Offy stuff yet, but the rear D shifts like butter on the stand....melted butter in fact. Like a modern one sans indexing...which it basically is. Certainly less "old school skill" required to navigate the shifts I would guess.

We're back to winter again in the Pac NW so if the weather breaks again I'll take her out. Not much inclined to ride those tubies in the gravel coated roads though.