Search
Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Visiting Golf Shores AL

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-09, 10:29 AM
a77impala

Bikes: 04=LeMond Arravee, 08 LeMond Versailles, 92 Trek 970

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Visiting Golf Shores AL

I am going to be spending two weeks in Gulf Shores and would like to know if there are bike paths
and what type of bike would be best to take down there. I prefer to ride on the road. Also if the area is bike friendly or not.

Gulf spelling has been fixed, sorry about that.

Last edited by a77impala; 02-10-09 at 01:14 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 02-09-09, 10:48 AM
Miles over Matter

Bikes: trek

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The beach road has a bike path, but depending when you are going you could have a problem with heavy traffic. The road to Ft. Morgan is a nice ride. It's an out and back about 40 miles. The roads are in good shape, so a road bike would do fine there. Should be bike friendly.
Old 02-10-09, 10:52 AM

Bikes: 2013 Giant Defy Advanced SL1 Di2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's a pretty decent bike lane on both sides of the beach highway. If you head east into Florida the lanes end at the state line, if you head west you will eventually hit Fort Morgan and Mobile Bay. It's a pretty good east-west ride along the beach as was said, about 40 miles one way total. Other than the beach highway there aren't a whole lot of bike lanes, but the area is pretty bike friendly. If you're coming in the next few weeks expect lesser vehicle traffic and pretty decent winds on the beach. Road is the way to go. You can also try to catch a group ride in Pensacola, FL if you want. It's about an hour drive but there is an active club, the west florida wheelmen, google can give you their web site.

Good Luck and have good trip - its a beautiful area. btw - unless it was a pun it's GULF not Golf Shores.

C.
Old 02-10-09, 11:04 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One other thing - bring a few spare tubes and whatever else you need to be self sufficent. The closest LBS is in Foley about 35 minutes north. Their website might be a good ride resource too. Eastern Shore Cycles is the name.
Old 02-10-09, 01:16 PM
a77impala

Thanks for the info, I will bring a road bike with me.
Old 02-10-09, 05:55 PM
Ride First, Work Later!!!

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Trek Superfly, Raleigh Rush Hour

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out the routes on mapmyride. As the others have said there are bike lanes along the beach on the Alabama side, there are also lanes through the state park. There is a path, never ridden it, that runs beside Ft Morgan road. I have seen some people ride it but we have always just used the road. It will help to keep some of the wind off you but there isn't quite as much scenery.

I just noticed your from Western SD so I am guessing you are used to the wind somewhat. At least when I am in Gillette, WY for work what I consider "winds" they consider a "breeze". If that is the case with you I wouldn't worry about the "winds" you'll experience in Gulf Shores...
Old 02-10-09, 09:01 PM
(this space for rent)

Bikes: 2018 Synapse Dura-Ace, 1995 Specialized M2-pro, 1995 Gary Fisher Montare

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I went there about 6 years ago. I'm not sure about bike rides... but be sure to check Lambert's Cafe - it's a real hoot.
Old 02-10-09, 09:18 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you want to try to catch a ride let me know when you're in town. I live full time about 1.5 hours from Gulf Shores and I'm in and out of there all the time, if I'm there I'd enjoy the opportunity to show the area to someone from out of town. Most times I ride the beach highway I pass probably a dozen other cyclist so there are others around. It's a big beach town with snow birds and the whole deal. This time of year its pretty quiet.
Old 02-11-09, 10:16 AM
a77impala

I was in Gulf shores several years ago and didn't notice any wind. I guess being from an area where the wind never blows unless you are alone or with somebody I consider anything under 20mph a breeze.
I didn't have a bike with me then so didn't check out the area. It sounds like a good place to ride.