Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

New SS bike

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-09, 11:30 PM
A shrinking member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New SS bike

I've haven't posted for a little bit because my computer is broken and I've been using my iPhone for internet.

Well I got my new bike and I just couldn't wait to talk about it! I had my wife set up a user account on her computer and added all the software I needed for my camera.

I have been wanting a new bike to cruise around on. It is such a pain to always have to put on my riding shoes and everything else that goes with my road bike. Now I can tool around with my wife in regular shoes.

So my wife got me this for my birthday:

I am really liking it! I set it up with a 20 tooth freewheel instead of the 16 tooth fixie cog that it came with. I also added the front brake.

Here is a shot of me riding it:

The weather here has been pretty rainy for our neck of the woods, but I have put about 15 miles on it and am enjoying it immensely.
Old 02-09-09, 11:34 PM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Fixed or freehub? If a freehub, you might want to add a rear brake as well as a front since you can't manage the speed with the pedals if you can coast.

Nice bike, either way, though.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 02-09-09, 11:38 PM
A shrinking member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
Fixed or freehub? If a freehub, you might want to add a rear brake as well as a front since you can't manage the speed with the pedals if you can coast.

Nice bike, either way, though.
It is a freewheel for now. I have a rear brake and the cables, but the shop was sold out of the right brake lever for the rear brake lever. I know safety says I should put the rear brake on, but I don't like the idea of more cables.
Old 02-09-09, 11:54 PM
a big man

Bikes: Trek 4300; Motobecane Vent Noir

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by </intolerance>
It is a freewheel for now. I have a rear brake and the cables, but the shop was sold out of the right brake lever for the rear brake lever. I know safety says I should put the rear brake on, but I don't like the idea of more cables.

Given the speed and specifics of your potential bike crash, you may be in the hospital with more tubes than you know what to do with.

Just kidding. Nice ride!
Old 02-10-09, 12:02 AM

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
That green is awesome! Nice to have another Clyde on the ss/fg crew.
Old 02-10-09, 12:06 AM
A shrinking member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CliftonGK1
That green is awesome! Nice to have another Clyde on the ss/fg crew.
Thanks! I originally order the black, but they oversold it and offered me the green one with a $25 discount. I am REALLY glad it happened that way. I really like the green.

Last edited by </intolerance>; 02-10-09 at 12:09 AM.
Old 02-10-09, 12:24 AM

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I'll have to decide on a colour for next winter when I get my fixed gear powdercoated. I'm pretty heavily leaning towards an old school racing blue. (Like a robin's egg.)
Old 02-10-09, 03:24 AM

Bikes: 2008 Surly LHT, 2008 Trek 7.2fx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very nice - the guys in the fixed gear/single speed forum seem to really like that bike. I've been mulling over getting one myself for quite a while now, and am on the verge of pulling the trigger. I'm actually looking at the Dawson SST, though.

I just can't get over this urge to build my own SS/FG... in the long run, it will be cheaper. In the short run, I'll keep looking at the BD offerings...
Old 02-10-09, 09:19 AM
A shrinking member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mesasone
Very nice - the guys in the fixed gear/single speed forum seem to really like that bike. I've been mulling over getting one myself for quite a while now, and am on the verge of pulling the trigger. I'm actually looking at the Dawson SST, though.

I just can't get over this urge to build my own SS/FG... in the long run, it will be cheaper. In the short run, I'll keep looking at the BD offerings...
I decided to get it based on what I read in the SS/FG forum, that and a friend of mine who is a big fixie guy said he has seen people 200+ lbs. bunny hop off of stairs with no ill effects to the bike. I don't think I'll be doing any bunny hopping though.
Old 02-10-09, 12:38 PM

Bikes: Kilo TT, Dawes SST, Giant Iguana, Sears&Roebuck Free Spirit(RIP)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mesasone

I just got a Dawes SST from bikes direct and so far im really loving it... its my first SS and have put about 50 miles on the bike since I bought it last month, and im very satisfied with the quality and stability even with my 240lbs testing every part.
Old 02-10-09, 04:24 PM

Bikes: 2009 BMC SLX01/2016 Santa Cruz Bronson

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Looks like it came with some hardcore wheels. I would like to get a SS to ride around with my wife. How do you like the fit, was the assembly pretty easy? The handlebars look a little narrow, is that typical for a fixie?
Old 02-10-09, 07:18 PM
A shrinking member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jesspal
Looks like it came with some hardcore wheels. I would like to get a SS to ride around with my wife. How do you like the fit, was the assembly pretty easy? The handlebars look a little narrow, is that typical for a fixie?
The wheels are pretty sturdy feeling. I feel really comfortable on it. I thought I might be a little cramped, but it doesn't feel like it at all.

The assembly was pretty easy especially if you kept it as a fixie. I added the freewheel which required more links added to the chain. It doesn't come with brakes, but it is drilled for it. The wheels also needed to be trued. It comes almost totally assembled. I had to screw in the pedals, attach the front wheel and attach the stem and handlebars.

The handlebars are very narrow. I think that is common with track bars. A lot of people swap them out.

You should check out this thread. It has a ton of info and photos.
Old 02-11-09, 03:22 PM

Bikes: Mostly schwinn... few classics

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice ride!
Old 02-11-09, 03:53 PM

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by </intolerance>
The assembly was pretty easy especially if you kept it as a fixie. I added the freewheel which required more links added to the chain. It doesn't come with brakes, but it is drilled for it. The wheels also needed to be trued. It comes almost totally assembled. I had to screw in the pedals, attach the front wheel and attach the stem and handlebars.
Things to double check with any "comes mostly assembled" bike purchased thru online retailers:

- Crank bolts
- Chainring bolts
- Headset adjustment
- Tension and true the wheels

Don't just have them trued. Have them properly tensioned by your LBS wheelsmith. Machine built wheels are rarely perfect coming off the line. Just truing them up doesn't fix any uneven spoke tensions that exist. Riding a couple hundred miles will put the wheel slightly out of true again, and just truing it up can further exacerbate the issue.
A properly tensioned wheel may still need a minor re-truing after 200-300 miles, but after that initial "settling in" period and truing, they should stay true for thousands of miles.
Old 02-14-09, 12:22 AM
A shrinking member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here are a couple more photos. My sister-in-law gave me the blue handlebar tape for my birthday.

Old 02-14-09, 07:49 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bravo! I love ss and fixie bikes, they make great cycles to train on if you ask me.
Old 02-14-09, 10:30 AM
member. heh.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Freehub with no rear brake? You're braver than I am.