Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Coaster brake with cooling fins

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-09, 07:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What do you think of this taitanium coaster brake with cooling fins?
https://https://www.flickr.com/photos/...08/3278818934/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Oso coaster.jpg (88.9 KB, 87 views)
Old 02-14-09, 07:28 AM

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by laredoshane
What do you think of this titanium coaster brake with cooling fins?
Well, what IS there to think?
1) that hub is going to be an absolute b*stard to keep clean
2) I think the fins would have done a better job if aligned in the plane of the wheel instead of perpendicular to the axle. As it is it's likely to set up a lot of turbulence around the hub, which won't be able to shift as much heat as a nice laminar flow would have been able to
3) why titanium? It's not that wear resistant, so you're likely to need a sleeve inside the hub. And it doesn't conduct heat as well as aluminum either.
4) coaster brakes are nice from a near-zero maintenance perspective, but hard braking has always been a weakness, both when it comes to modulation and heat build up.You're looking at a mighty narrow customer base if you're trying to find people who really love coaster brakes but whose favourite riding terrain is just a tad too hard for an ordinary coaster brake. In short, if you ride hard enough to need cooling fins on a coaster brake odds are really good that you're also riding hard enough to merit from a disc brake.
Old 02-14-09, 03:03 PM
AEO

Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
do you plan on going down mt. everest with that thing?
Old 02-14-09, 04:37 PM
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I use a coaster brake, and they're okay for what they are. But if you want better brakes, you just use a different established style, no reason to invent anything. That's like inventing a carbon-fiber horsecollar. Where can I buy it, by the way?
Old 02-15-09, 05:31 PM

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
I can't think of a good application for that and as stated, aluminum is a far better material for that.

Last edited by jccaclimber; 04-27-09 at 08:30 AM.
Old 02-16-09, 07:26 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1662 Post(s)
Liked 1,815 Times in 1,055 Posts
Am I mistaken, or is that an image of a computer model? If it is just a computer model, claiming it's a real hub made from titanium is a wee bit of a stretch, don't you think?

tcs
Old 02-16-09, 07:33 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1662 Post(s)
Liked 1,815 Times in 1,055 Posts
If Osobikes wants a tarted up, "exotic" coaster, consider Velosteel (also here).

Best,
tcs
Old 02-16-09, 01:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Elgin built some cooling fin coaster brakes back in the day but they went around the hub, not across.

from First Flight Bikes.

Coaster brakes don't fade just because the outside of the hub gets hot but because the brake shoes also get hot. Unless you plan on reinventing the guts, I don't see how a titanium hub shell would help this.

As for the fin's, have those been tested for effectivness? I see they might create more turbulance. Also are they tall enough to be effective. Looks like you have just increased the hub shell thickness with some bumps.

If you need testers, let me know. My friends and I do a Cruiser ride with Coasterbrakes down this 16 mile road.
Old 02-23-09, 05:51 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Am I mistaken, or is that an image of a computer model? If it is just a computer model, claiming it's a real hub made from titanium is a wee bit of a stretch, don't you think?

tcs

Yes it is a computer generated image. In other words, CAD drawing.

Last edited by laredoshane; 02-23-09 at 06:00 AM.
Old 02-23-09, 05:54 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
If Osobikes wants a tarted up, "exotic" coaster, consider Velosteel (also here).

Best,
tcs
If you read the thread, the Velosteel apears to be heavier, more expensive and more problematic than the Shimano
Old 02-23-09, 05:57 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cman
Elgin built some cooling fin coaster brakes back in the day but they went around the hub, not across.

from First Flight Bikes.

Coaster brakes don't fade just because the outside of the hub gets hot but because the brake shoes also get hot. Unless you plan on reinventing the guts, I don't see how a titanium hub shell would help this.

As for the fin's, have those been tested for effectivness? I see they might create more turbulance. Also are they tall enough to be effective. Looks like you have just increased the hub shell thickness with some bumps.

If you need testers, let me know. My friends and I do a Cruiser ride with Coasterbrakes down this 16 mile road.
Cmon,
Cool pics!
Old 02-23-09, 08:16 AM
Call me The Breeze

Bikes: 2004 Litespeed Siena, 1996 Litespeed Obed, 1992 Miele (unknown model), 1982 Meile Uno LS.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
Well, what IS there to think?
1) that hub is going to be an absolute b*stard to keep clean
2) I think the fins would have done a better job if aligned in the plane of the wheel instead of perpendicular to the axle. As it is it's likely to set up a lot of turbulence around the hub, which won't be able to shift as much heat as a nice laminar flow would have been able to
3) why titanium? It's not that wear resistant, so you're likely to need a sleeve inside the hub. And it doesn't conduct heat as well as aluminum either.
4) coaster brakes are nice from a near-zero maintenance perspective, but hard braking has always been a weakness, both when it comes to modulation and heat build up.You're looking at a mighty narrow customer base if you're trying to find people who really love coaster brakes but whose favourite riding terrain is just a tad too hard for an ordinary coaster brake. In short, if you ride hard enough to need cooling fins on a coaster brake odds are really good that you're also riding hard enough to merit from a disc brake.
Your logic has no place here! It's titanium and it's expensive. It's also probably CNC machined. Jeez. You sound like you know what you're talking about and then you come up with all this... .logic.

It is a CAD model, and a poor one at that. Perhaps a 1st year design student? That's a 10min model for anyone with any proficiency. I bet there aren't even any guts in that model.
Old 02-23-09, 08:33 AM
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Velosteel hubs are quite low end and are found on bottom of the line bikes here in Europe. I have no idea why they are so hyped in the US.
Old 02-23-09, 08:39 AM
50000 Guatts of power

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
titanium has a crappy thermal conductivity. any coaster brake made with a titanium shell
will overheat, fins or no fins
Old 02-23-09, 02:57 PM

Bikes: Rustbuckets, the lot of them.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've wondered how much of a problem this really is. I do a fair amount of riding on a coaster brake and have never experienced fading or any kind of failure attributable to overheating.

This isn't to say that it cannot happen. Just that it would be a rarity that could easily be mitigated by perhaps using a front brake in addition to a coaster brake.

If overheating is an issue, it may be easier to manufacture some finned aluminum extrusions similar to semiconductor heat sinks, designed to attach to the generic steel coaster brake hub shell that would allow more efficient cooling.
Old 04-27-09, 07:36 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
See, They do exist.

Shane
Old 04-27-09, 08:31 AM

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
See, They do exist.
Almost everything exists somewhere. The fact that it exists and yet is not common is at least a slight indicator that there are superior designs.
Old 04-27-09, 02:11 PM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
What do you think of this taitanium coaster brake with cooling fins?
https://https://www.flickr.com/photos/...08/3278818934/
Hipster jewelry.