Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Specialized Crossroads Elite for Touring?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-09, 10:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've found a Specialized Crossroads Elite at a very good price. I'm considering getting it and trying it for some touring. Anyone here with some experience with this type of bike?

Thanks

DK
Old 02-16-09, 11:41 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Soma ES

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is a hybrid right? While most any bike will work for touring, there are MUCH better choices out there. Looks like it does have rear rack mounts so I guess you could either do some light credit card touring with it, or pull a trailer. Either way, you'll still have to deal with the front suspension robbing power and I think, while comfortable for a little while, the upright position is going to get quite uncomfortable. Personally, I'd wait to find a older touring bike before I'd buy something like this. Would probably make a great commuter, grocery getter, bike path, townie type of bike though.
Old 02-16-09, 11:41 AM
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
From what I can tell, it looks like a mid-range hybrid / comfort bike. I used one of these for awhile, and eventually moved up to more road-style bikes. A few pros and cons.

Pro: fairly low gearing, wide tires.

Cons: rider position is too upright; components don't look particularly good quality; suspension is not ideal for touring.

If the riding position works for you on long rides, I would say it's acceptable for short tours (2 weeks or less). Unfortunately, a position that relaxed may not feel great after 30-50 miles. It will also be better if the front suspension can be locked, and you swap the seatpost for a non-suspension version.

I'd let your other uses guide you. I.e. if you're going to use this bike for short rides (30-40 miles) and commutes, it's fine. If you think you're going to do 100 miles a day, a less upright position will most likely turn out to be better for you.
Old 02-16-09, 01:53 PM

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Sirrus Elite 2001 Specialized Crossroads 1999 Specialized Hardrock 2007 Specialized Allez

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Specialized Crossroads--Long Term experience

I have owned a Specialized Crossroads now for 7 years and have put on it by my estimation over 10,000 miles. I have had to replace a few things, like pedals and just recently the shifters. Overall, it is a good bicycle for numerous uses, including touring. I have yet to ride a century on it, though I have come close many times.

Mine (2001 model, mid level, no suspension) does have braze-ons or mounts in the rear. The wheels are strong, with 36 spokes each. The tires are of a medium width—38C or 1.5 inches to us traditionalists. Generally, it is a bike that is designed for comfort on long, or longer rides. And though it is generally not designed for speed, I have gotten it up to 36 mph on a flat surface with no wind. (It got fitted with a bike computer later in its life.)

Guess what I am saying is that I wholeheartedly endorse this bike and its siblings (other levels and years of Crossroads) for just about any type of riding (except racing), including touring of any kind.
Old 02-16-09, 02:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is a 1998 model with no suspension. If I change the stem and put drop bars on it, will the position change enough?

https://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...lite&Type=bike
Old 02-16-09, 03:00 PM
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Obviously that's got to be a used bike. Even if it's been sitting around, it will need a tune-up and likely some new parts. Add $100 - $150 to the cost of the bike.

Changing out to drop bars will cost you at least another $150, by the way. I.e. if you want a bike with drops, you're better off getting a bike with drops (new or used).
Old 02-16-09, 10:55 PM
www.markreynoldsfund.org

Bikes: 1993 Titanium Miyata Elevation 8000, Scattante XRL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I made the same conversion that you are talking about with an earlier model of crossroads. All told with some parts I had around my workshop I have around 400 into the conversion. Not exactly cheap but half of what it would have cost to build up LHT. I still have some tweaking to do and racks to add but it should handle it fine.

Please donate to the Mark Reynolds Memorial First Bike Fund at www.markreynoldsfund.org
Old 02-17-09, 08:25 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mudu93
I made the same conversion that you are talking about with an earlier model of crossroads. All told with some parts I had around my workshop I have around 400 into the conversion. Not exactly cheap but half of what it would have cost to build up LHT. I still have some tweaking to do and racks to add but it should handle it fine.
That is what I'm talking about! The one I'm looking at is in great shape. The woman who has it must be selling it from a divorce. I don't think it was ever ridden much. I can pick it up for 125.
Old 02-17-09, 09:28 AM
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
A good buy at 125......
Old 02-20-09, 11:32 AM

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Sirrus Elite 2001 Specialized Crossroads 1999 Specialized Hardrock 2007 Specialized Allez

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, at $125 it does sound like a good buy. It saddens me though to think
that mine may only be worth a little more than that.